For OFWs in Thailand, you should prioritize renewing or applying for your OWWA membership to ensure access to programs, services, and supports only registered members can get. Furthermore, OFWs who obtained a job in Thailand via a visit visa are encouraged to apply voluntarily for the OWWA membership to enjoy loads of benefits. But how to apply for OWWA membership in Thailand? Please follow the guidelines below.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is an agency authorized by the Philippine government to protect and promote the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs). This agency works with other government agencies, including the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) or now known as the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW). All of these agencies work together to ensure that OFWs have legal employment and they can access necessary support.
Through the OWWA membership, its members can avail themselves of different programs, services, and support to improve their lives and careers. Active OWWA members can also receive support from the government during difficult times, such as access to legal assistance for workers with employer issues and Covid-19 relief.
OWWA members can enjoy livelihood programs, loans, education and training benefits, scholarships, and repatriation and reintegration programs. The OWWA membership also acts as an insurance policy for OFWs assisting with medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial. That’s why OFWs in Thailand are encouraged to renew or apply for their OWWA membership to access maximum benefits.
As stated on the official website of the Philippine Embassy in Bangkok, OFWs in Thailand who want to renew or apply for their OWWA membership should contact OWWA Kuala Lumpur. Also, the following OWWA membership requirements are the same for OFWs in Thailand and Malaysia:
- Duly accomplished OWWA Information Sheet
- Copy of passport showing the data page
- Any of the following proof of employment document, including:
- Verified employment contract
- Certificate of employment
- Company ID
- Work or residence permit
- Application for Philippine insurance with employer’s signature
- Other relevant employment documents
- Duly filled-up declaration of intention for membership to OWWA
- Valid Philippine Passport or sworn petition for re-acquisition of citizenship and oath of allegiance duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate (For natural born citizens who obtained dual citizenship)
Since OWWA is authorized to protect and promote the welfare of OFWs worldwide, the membership they provide comes with beneficial services, programs, and support that can boost its member’s living conditions. Nonetheless, not all OFWs are qualified for the OWWA membership as OWWA have eligibility requirements for its members.
To become an OWWA member, an OFW should have active and continuous work and be a “legal” or “documented” worker with a valid work permit and visa. Aside from that, OFWs who obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment can renew or apply for the OWWA membership.
But OFWs who don’t have active or continuous work cannot renew or apply for the OWWA membership, including the following individuals:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Bangkok, Thailand
As of writing, there is no online appointment system for OWWA membership applications in Thailand. Furthermore, OWWA Kuala Lumpur handles the OWWA membership issuance for OFWs in Thailand. But on the official website of the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, they only have an online appointment system for selected services and do not include the OWWA membership. So if you’re in Thailand and renewing or applying for the OWWA membership, you need to contact OWWA Kuala Lumpur for further details.
Paying OWWA Membership in Bangkok, Thailand
While OWWA Kuala Lumpur handles the OWWA membership issuance for OFWs in Thailand, there is no need to go to Malaysia as you can renew or apply for your membership through the On-Site Membership Program (OSMP).
All you need to do is contact OWWA Kuala Lumpur and explain your request for OWWA membership renewal or application. Then, include the scanned copies of the documentary requirements in your message. If you’re qualified, you can pay the OWWA membership fee by following the steps below:
Step by step process of paying the OWWA membership
- Contact OWWA Kuala Lumpur for the latest procedure.
- Secure the documentary requirements.
- Compose a brief message indicating your intention to renew or apply for the OWWA membership.
- Include the scanned copies of your documentary requirements.
- Next, send the message to OWWA Kuala Lumpur at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for evaluation.
- Wait for OWWA Kuala Lumpur’s approval to renew or apply for your OWWA membership.
- Once you’re qualified, follow the instruction sent to you by OWWA Kuala Lumpur and pay the OWWA membership fee.
Note: The application process in this guide is from the available details on the websites of the Philippine Embassy in Thailand and Malaysia and may differ from time to time. So it is ideal to contact the relevant offices first to determine the latest procedure.
Reminders with OWWA Membership in Thailand
To successfully renew or apply for your OWWA membership in Thailand, read the following reminders below:
- Currently, there is no POLO-OWWA office in Thailand and OWWA Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, is the one that handles the OWWA membership application for those in Thailand.
- Additionally, there is no online appointment system for the OWWA membership application or renewal at OWWA Kuala Lumpur.
- As of writing, OFWs in Thailand can renew or apply for their OWWA membership by sending the scanned copy of their documents to OWWA Kuala Lumpur.
- If visiting OWWA Malaysia, ensure to wear proper attire as applicants wearing sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers cannot enter the premise. Remember, only applicants are allowed to enter, and the Embassy is on a No Parking Street. So visitors with cars should park in nearby areas such as the Jalan Perak next to Novotel Hotel.
- Visit the website and Facebook pages of the Philippine Embassy in Thailand and Malaysia for further details. You can also contact OWWA Kuala Lumpur for the latest update.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some FAQs about OWWA Membership process in Thailand
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Thailand?
As of writing, there is no online appointment system for OWWA membership in Thailand. Also, OWWA Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, handles the OWWA membership application for OFWs in Thailand.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Thailand?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Thailand by submitting the scanned copy of your requirements to OWWA Kuala Lumpur. Another option is to renew your membership via OWWA Mobile App.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
You can renew your OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app. Just download the app and register, and log in to your account. Select the Information button at the bottom of the dashboard and click Renew Membership Here. Then, choose your payment option and pay the OWWA membership fee.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Thailand?
The OWWA membership fee is US$25.00 converted to Thai baht based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay the OWWA membership fee online by renewing it on the OWWA mobile app. Then, choose an online payment method such as bank and GCash.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if it’s passed the two-year validity or if you changed employers even if it’s not yet two years.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory for OFWs who processed their employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
No, not all OFWs can become OWWA members as they should comply with the requirements and meet the eligibility criteria for the application of OWWA.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members. Inactive OWWA members can also avail of OWWA benefits but are limited only.
Video: OWWA membership RENEWAL (G-CASH PAYMENT) Online
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, OFWs can renew their OWWA membership by downloading the OWWA Mobile App on their device. Register and log in to your account. If you already have an account, click Information at the lower tab. Next, you’ll see the status of your OWWA membership. If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service. Review or update your employment details and click Submit. Once on the LandBank payment portal, click Payment Option and select your preferred source.
You can pay through the bank or cash payment at over-the-counter merchants. Review your payment details and click Submit. Once you have a Reference Number, follow the payment instruction to renew your OWWA membership. Moreover, renewing the OWWA membership through the OWWA Mobile App is also ideal for OFWs in Thailand as they can pay the fee online or give the reference number to their relatives to settle the payment.
Applying for OWWA membership will benefit OFWs and their dependents, providing them access to support, services, and programs, from livelihood to educational scholarship. Apart from that, OWWA membership ensures that OFWs can ask for assistance from the government, especially during difficulties.
Thus, OFWs in Thailand are encouraged to renew or apply for their OWWA membership at OWWA Kuala Lumpur or download the OWWA Mobile App to process their renewal online.
Philippine Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand
Operating Hours: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 760, Sukhumvit Road corner of Soi 30/1 (Soi Philippines), Klongtoei Bangkok, Thailand 10110
Telephone Number: +662-259-0139 to 40, +662-258-5401
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinThailand
Google Map Location
Please check out the map of the Philippine Embassy located in Bangkok, Thailand for your reference: