For OFWs in Malaysia, it is encouraged to renew your OWWA membership to continuously avail of the varying programs and services OWWA offers to its members. OFWs who want to renew or apply for the OWWA membership must book an appointment to visit the OWWA office located at the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. And if you’re wondering how to become an OWWA member in Malaysia, follow the guide below.
Being an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) is quite challenging as many suffer from employment disputes while only some get lucky. That’s why the Philippine Government has established the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA), collaborating with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA).
Filipinos in Malaysia who have also acquired employment in the country and don’t have an OWWA membership should voluntarily apply to access the OWWA benefits.
OWWA is a government agency mandated to protect and promote the wellbeing of OFWs and their families worldwide. The institution also offers membership to OFWs, allowing members access to different services and programs that can make their lives and their families better.
Furthermore, the membership that OWWA provides benefits OFWs by getting access to other support during difficult times, such as the provision of legal assistance for employer issues and Covid-19 pandemic financial aid.
The varying services and programs of OWWA are also accessible by active members, including education and training benefits, livelihood programs, loans, and reintegration and repatriation benefits.
The OWWA membership also acts as an insurance policy, which provides OFWs with benefits, including medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial. So OFWs in Malaysia are encouraged to apply or renew their OWWA membership to enjoy the OWWA benefits.
If you’re an OFW in Malaysia, whether renewing or first-time applicant, here are the requirements you need to secure to become an OWWA member:
- Book an appointment
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Duly accomplished Declaration of Intent for OWWA Membership (For New Members)
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment
- Company ID,
- Latest Payslip
- Certificate of Employment
- Signed Employment Contract
- Photocopy of Valid Visa, Work Permit
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- Copy re-acquisition of citizenship including a certified Oath of Loyalty from the Philippine Embassy in Malaysia (for natural-born citizens with dual citizenship)
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 (converted to local currency based on foreign exchange rate)
- Physical appearance only
Aside from the listed requirements above, OFWs who want to apply or renew their OWWA membership should meet the qualification criteria to become OWWA members. OWWA requires all its members to have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” workers who have processed their overseas employment at POEA with valid work permits and visas. OFWs are also qualified to be OWWA members if they have permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment.
On the contrary, since OWWA requires its members to have active and continuous work, the following individuals are not qualified to renew or apply for the OWWA membership, including:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Malaysia
As stated on the Facebook post of the Philippine Embassy in Malaysia, they accommodate walk-in applicants to access consular services without appointments if they fall under the following:
- Senior citizens
- Pregnant women
- Disabled Persons
- Ages 7 years old and below
- Claiming consular documents
- Distress Filipinos requiring Assistance-to-National (ATN) services
Nonetheless, other applicants should book an appointment to access consular services. So OFWs who are applying or renewing their OWWA membership that is not on the list for walk-in applicants have to secure an OEC application appointment. Afterward, you may process your OWWA membership application on the day of your visit to the Philippine Embassy in Malaysia, and don’t forget to print a copy of your booking appointment confirmation as it will serve as your entry pass.
Step by step how to set up an appointment for OWWA payment
To apply or renew your OWWA membership in Malaysia, follow the steps below to book an appointment for OWWA payment:
- Visit the website of the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, at http://www.philembassykl.org.my/.
- On the left side of the homepage, look for OFW Corner and select Click here to set an appointment.
- If you don’t have an account yet, fill out the required field under New User and click Sign Me Up. Go to your email and click the confirmation link.
- Next, log in as an Already Registered user and provide your last issued OEC number. If the system can’t find a record, proceed with setting an Online Appointment.
- For applicants with records, you may make changes on your Personal Data, Contract Particulars, and Beneficiaries if necessary.
- To proceed with the online assessment, select Acquire OEC or Exemption. Enter your flight date and confirm that you’re returning with the same employer and Jobsite.
- If returning with the same employer and Jobsite, the system will automatically prompt a notification stating an exemption of acquiring an OEC and paying the processing fee.
- If not exempted, the system will redirect you to the Appointment Page. Then, select your preferred POEA office and set up an appointment for the OEC application and payment.
- Go to your email and print the appointment confirmation, which will serve as your gate pass to enter the OWWA Malaysia office.
Paying OWWA Membership in Malaysia
Once you have a confirmed appointment booking, you can pay the OWWA membership fee at the OWWA Malaysia office. For individuals under the list of accommodated walk-in applicants, you can directly proceed to the OWWA Malaysia office and pay the membership fee without an appointment. To do so, follow the steps below.
Step by step process of paying the OWWA membership
- Show a copy of your appointment to the guard (if applicable).
- Head to the OWWA counter and submit your documents for verification.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and other applicable fees.
- Collect your official receipt, and you are now an OWWA member.
Reminders with OWWA Malaysia
To ensure success and smooth application process for the OWWA membership, here are the reminders when conducting business with OWWA Malaysia:
- The Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, accepts walk-in applicants to access consular services if they’re senior citizens, pregnant women, disabled persons, ages 7-years old and below, claiming consular documents, and distressed Filipinos in need of ATN services. So the said applicants may proceed to the embassy without an appointment, and other applicants have to book an appointment.
- Ensure that your requirements are complete and accurate before submitting them since applicants with incomplete requirements cannot proceed with the application.
- OFWs visiting the embassy should dress appropriately. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- Check the Philippine Embassy in Malaysia’s official website and Facebook page for the latest update.
Video: OWWA Membership in Malaysia
For more details on the OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
If you’re looking for more convenient ways to renew your OWWA membership in Malaysia, you can follow the guide in this video. As shown, you can renew your OWWA membership using the OWWA mobile app by simply downloading it on your smart device. Next, create an account and click Renew OWWA membership Here. There are also many payment methods available, so choose the most convenient.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please check out these FAQs about the OWWA appointment membership in Kuala Lumpur office:
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Malaysia?
To book an appointment for the OWWA membership, visit the website of the Philippine Embassy in Malaysia. Go to the OFW Corner and select Click here to set an appointment.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Malaysia?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Malaysia by booking an OEC appointment and processing your OWWA membership application at the POLO-OWWA Malaysia office. If you’re under the list of accommodated walk-in applicants, you can go directly to their office to renew your OWWA membership.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
You can renew your OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app. Then, create an account and click Renew OWWA Membership Here. Choose your preferred payment method and pay the fee to renew your OWWA membership.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Malaysia?
The OWWA membership fee in Malaysia is 105.12 MYR or US$25 converted to local currency based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
Yes, you can pay the OWWA membership fee online using the OWWA mobile app and select an online bank or e-payment as the payment method.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership is only valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
Your OWWA membership will be inactive if the two-year validity has passed, your work visa expired, or you change an employer since the OWWA membership is only valid for two years under the same employer listed during the application.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Yes, the OWWA membership is mandatory for OFWs who processed their employment at POEA.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
No, not all OFW are members of OWWA. If an OFW cannot comply with the requirements and meet the qualification criteria, they are not qualified to become an OWWA member.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
The OWWA benefits are available by active or registered members, and limited benefits are available to inactive members.
The OWWA membership application in Malaysia is easy, so renewing your OWWA membership is ideal. OFWs that are also on the list of accommodated walk-in applicants may directly visit the POLO-OWWA Malaysia office without an appointment or opt to renew their OWWA membership using the OWWA mobile app.
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 1, Jalan Changkat Kia Peng, Kuala Lumpur, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
OWWA Telephone Numbers: +(603) 9202 3756, +(6019) 333 0156
POLO Telephone Numbers: +(603) 2181 7299, +(603) 2161 2222
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook Page: https://facebook.com/PHinMalaysia
Google Map Location
Please check out the PH Embassy office in Kuala Lumpur where you can inquire about the POLO-Malaysia Office and renew your OWWA: