OWWA Scholarships and Training Programs

As a member of OWWA (Overseas Workers Welfare Administration), it is good to know that there are a number of scholarship and training programs launched to help you and your dependents further their education. Here we list down the existing OWWA scholarships and education assistance projects from this government agency.

Please check out this listicle guide we’ve gathered below which features the different OWWA Scholarship programs for college students, high school students, OFWs, and seafarers.

It is important that you are aware of these education aid programs as these can help benefit you, your children, or even your siblings in terms of education. After all, as an OFW, working for them to provide for them to have a better future is one of your main goals why you decided to work abroad.

By being an OWWA member and availing of these scholarships, you can increase your chances of getting to send your children or siblings to college. Increasing the number of scholars is proof that a scholarship program is a success. So here are the available programs that you can avail yourself of from OWWA:

owwa scholarships and training programs

1. OFW Dependent Scholarship Program (ODSP)

This ODSP scholarship program is exclusive for the dependents of active OWWA member-OFW with a salary of less than $600.00. The dependents will get educational assistance of P20,000.00 per school year.

 Who is qualified?

  • Incoming freshmen and must be the child of an active OWWA member or the sibling of an unmarried OWWA member who is single and under the age of 21, and those who are already enrolled or have been enrolled in college must be under the age of 30.
  • Applicants must pass the entrance examination administered by the state college/university in the OWWA Regional Welfare Offices where they intend to enroll. You must not have received any other scholarship grants.


Step 1: You need to have the following documents:

  • Accomplished ODSP Application Form (2 copies
  • Proof of OWWA membership
  • OR of OWWA contribution
  • OFW Verified Employment Contract
  • Proof of relationship to OFW

Birth Certificate (issued by PSA) of the applicant, if a child of OFW

Birth Certificate (issued by PSA) of both applicant and OFW (if brother or sister of OFW)

  • Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) from PSA (if OFW is unmarried)
  • 2”x2” Pictures (2 copies)
  • Form 2A: Health/Medical Certificate
  • Form 2B: Certificate of Good moral character
  • Form 137 for incoming first-year college or Transcript of Records or Certificate of Grades for those already enrolled in college

Step 2: Download the Application Form from the Official Facebook Page of OWWA NCR (post above). You may also use the form available on the OWWA website at https://www.owwa.gov.ph/index.php/downloads.

Step 3: Fill out the form.

Step 4: Accomplished form and required documents must be submitted online or at a regional office.

Step 5: Wait for OWWA’s response to your application.

2. Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP)

The EDSP is a scholarship grant available to qualified beneficiaries or dependents of OWWA members who plan to enroll in any 4-5 year course program. All qualified applicants will be chosen and ranked based on their performance in the scholarship qualifying examination.

The OWWA Scholarship Committee will select and recommend the Scholars. Then, the administrator’s approval will be the final. The scholar will get a total amount of 30,000 per semester. Tuition fees must be paid directly to the school, with the remaining funds released to the scholar upon submission of semester grades.

Who is qualified?

  • Must be below 21 years old.
  • Must be a child of an OWWA member. If the OWWA member is single, you must be a brother/sister of the member.
  • Must not be a recipient of any scholarship award.
  • Must be a High School graduate with a general average of at least 80%.
  • Must pass the qualifying tests.


Step 1: You need to have the following documents:

  • Accomplished Application Form (2sets)
  • Proof of relationship to OWWA member (i.e., copy of Marriage Contract and/or Birth Certificate of both member and applicant-dependent duly certified by the Local Civil Registry)
  • Two (2) copies of 1×1 ID pictures.
  • For 137 / High School Report Card.

Step 2: Download an Application Evaluation Form at https://owwa.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/APPLICATION-FORM-FOR-EDSP-FOR-REGIONS.pdf or go to their nearest branch.

Step 3: Accomplish the form and submit all the documentation needed

Step 4: Wait for the call from OWWA if there is a slot for you. 

3. Skills for Employment Scholarship Program (SESP)

The SESP is for land-based or sea-based OWWA members and their dependents/beneficiaries. The said scholarship program was made possible by the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority’s coordination (TESDA), which offers six-month vocational and one-year technical courses that run through a regular school year calendar.

The financial assistance will be paid directly to the training facility where the dependents/beneficiaries are enrolled. A qualified applicant for a one-year technical course will receive P14,000 in financial assistance, while a six-month vocational course will receive P7,250.

Who is qualified?

  • Child not older than 21 years old of a married OFW
  • Brother/sister not older than 21 years old of an unmarried OFW


Step 1: You need to have the following documents

  • Accomplished application forms (2 sets)
  • Proof of OWWA Membership (OR of OWWA contribution or OFW E-Card)
  • Form 137/HS Report Card or Transcript of Records
  • 1″x1″ ID pictures (2 copies)
  • Proof of relationship to OWWA member
  • Copy of marriage contract or birth certificate of both OFW and applicant (The papers must be certified by the Local Civil Registrar)
  • Must be an active OWWA member (land-based or sea-based) or beneficiary/dependent of an active OWWA member

Step 2: Download and fill out the scholarship application form here https://polowashingtondc.dole.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Application-Form-Evaluation-Other-Forms-for-Education-Training-Program.pdf

Step 3: Bring the accomplished application form and required documentation to your nearest OWWA office. 

4. Educational Livelihood Assistance Program (ELAP)

ELAP is a financial assistance program that includes a scholarship grant for dependents of deceased OFWs. The deceased must be an OWWA member at the time of their death for their dependents to be eligible. A scholarship grant will be given to only ONE OFW’s child, usually the eldest.

The parents (for single OFW) or the surviving spouse (for married OFW) will ALSO get a livelihood financial grant amounting to P15,000.

The dependent is entitled to the following allowances as financial assistance:

  • P5,000 (Elementary)
  • P8,000 (High School)
  • P10,000 (College)

Who is qualified?

  • One of the children of the deceased OFW OWWA member.
  • Surviving spouse
  • Parents


For faster claim processing, secure the following documents:

  • OWWA Membership (for OFW)
  • Proof of relationship to the OWWA member (for OFW dependent)

Go to the nearest OWWA office at your place to get the necessary assistance.

5. Pre-Departure Education Program (PDEP)

This is a mandatory orientation/training for all departing OFWs. It consists of the following: 

Country-Specific Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS)

The PDOS is a full-day orientation for OFWs that includes a comprehensive module on the profile of the destination country, employment contract familiarization, stages of the OFW’s life, health and safety, airport procedures, as well as government programs and services.

6. OWWA Seafarers’ Upgrading Program (SUP)

Seafarers can receive free training through the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) through the Seafarers’ Upgrading Program (SUP), and they can even receive a subsidy of up to Php7,500 per course taken. SUP provides training assistance for short-term maritime courses to help seafarers improve their skills.

Seafarers who want to take advantage of the subsidy are free to choose the courses they want to take, depending on factors such as available courses and the accreditation of the institution where the overseas Filipino worker (OFW) wants to study.

Interested seafarers have 90 days from the date of arrival in the Philippines to apply for SUP.

Who is qualified?

  • Seafarers that are active OWWA members.  


Submit the following requirements to the nearest OWWA office:

  • Accomplished Application Form
  • Proof of OWWA Membership (can be secured at OWWA)
  • Valid Seaman’s book (SIRB) & Passport (bring original and photocopy)
  • 2”x2” Picture (2 copies)

7. Mariner’s Dugtong Aral (Bridging) Program (MDA)

Mariner’s Dugtong Aral (MDA) is available for qualified graduates of BS Mechanical Engineering and BS Electrical Engineering, with a maximum scholarship of Php 38,120.00 plus a stipend of Php 15,000.00 for three months.

Who is qualified?

  • Filipino citizen
  • Active OWWA members who are OFW-seafarers
  • OFW relatives to the first degree of consanguinity

For Married OFWs – Dependent is a single child under 30 years of age

For Single OFWs – Dependents is a single child/sibling/niece under the age of 30


  • Accomplished application form
  • OWWA Membership in OR of contribution
  • Proof of relationship to the OFW:
  • Birth Certificate of the child (If the OFW is Married or Single Parent)
  • Cenomar of OFW & Birth Certificate of the sibling (If the active OWWA member OFW is single)
  • Proof of residency (most recent)
  • 2”x2” Picture (2 copies)
  • Transcript of Records
  • Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering
  • Passport/Seafarer’s ID/Record Book (Any of the following)
  • Proof that there are no current or pending scholarship applications with OWWA/NGA/NGOs


Step 1: Ready all documentation/requirements.

Step 2: Go to the nearest Local OWWA office.

Step 3: Submit all requirement requirements to the nearest OWWA office

Step 4: Wait for a call from OWWA if your application was approved

8. Tabang OFW Program

Tabang OFW is a tertiary education/subsidy program developed in collaboration with the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) for dependents of COVID-19-affected repatriated, displaced, or deceased OFWs.

The Tabang OFW program provides qualified dependents with a one-time grant of Php 30,000.00.

Who is qualified?

  • Filipino Citizen
  • Dependent of OFW who is certified by DOLE-OWWA wherein that OFW lost his/her job or died due to COVID-19
  • Child (below 30 years old) of married OFW
  • Sibling, niece, or nephew (below 30 years old) of unmarried OFW
  • Qualified in the admission & retention requirements of State Universities and Colleges (SUCs), CHED-recognized Local Universities and Colleges (LUCs), and Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) registered with CHED.
  • Enrolled in college
  • Never been expelled
  • The applicant is not a beneficiary of other government scholarship grants.

Note: Beneficiaries of Project EASE can still qualify for TABANG OFW.


Step 1: You need to have the following documents:

  • Copy of Valid Passport
  • Flight ticket or boarding pass or arrival stamp (February 2020 onwards)
  • Proof of relationship to the OFW
  • If OFW is married – Birth certificate of child
  • If OFW is single – Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) of OFW
  • Birth certificate of OFW
  • Birth certificate of a sibling
  • Filled up assessment form or Admission Test Result
  • Affidavit that the applicant is not a beneficiary of other scholarship grants as per DOLE AO 207 series of 2020
  • Proof of displacement
  • POLO/Company Certification
  • Death Certificate (in case the OFW died)
  • Embassy/Consulate Official Transmission

Step 2: Fill out the online application form and submit the required documents by going to http://tabangofw-ease.owwa.gov.ph/

Step 3: OWWA Regional Welfare Officers will review your application before endorsement to DOLE Regional Offices. The qualified beneficiary will receive the Php 30,000.00 cash assistance through bank transfer or electronic facility two weeks after the approval of the application.

9. Project EASE (Educational Assistance through Scholarship in Emergencies)

Project EASE aims to provide college-level educational assistance to qualified dependents of active OWWA member-OFWs whose employment was impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. This will give qualified dependents a Php 10,000.00 educational assistance per year for a maximum of four years.

Who is qualified?

  • Eligible dependent of active OWWA-member OFW (child of married OFW or sibling of single OFW)


Step 1: You need to have the following documents:

  • Copy of Valid Passport
  • Official Receipt or other proof of OWWA Membership
  • Flight ticket or boarding pass or arrival stamp attached in the Passport evidencing return to the country from February 1, 2020, onwards
  • Proof of relationship to the OFW
  • Birth certificate (if a child of married OFW);
  • CENOMAR of OFW and birth certificate of OFW and sibling (if active OWWA-member OFW is single)
  • Certificate of Grade of the dependent
  • Certificate of grades/proof of grades from the last School Year/Semester attended with passing marks in all subjects from the last School Year/Semester attended.

Step 2: Qualified active OWWA-member OFWs must apply for their designated child-beneficiary at ease.owwa.gov.phan and submit all required documentation.

Step 3: A serial reference/tracking number will be sent to the applicant via SMS or email. You can check the status of your application here.

Step 4: If your application is accepted, you will be given a printable scholarship agreement and notified by phone or email.


Being a member of OWWA is indeed a huge investment for OFWs around the world. If you’re an OFW, you need this and your dependents need this. There is a lot of educational and cash assistance you can get from being an active member of OWWA.

OWWA wants to support not just the OFWs abroad but also their dependents in the Philippines. Their programs are not just focused on the spouse or children as dependents, they offer a wide range of support up to the parents, siblings, and other members of the family of qualified OFWs and OWWA members. If you’re not aware of these programs, better get into it now.

error: Content is protected !!