For OFWs in Vietnam, you should know that renewing or applying for OWWA membership should be your top priority to access varying services, programs, and support that will benefit your career and your family’s life. OFWs in Vietnam who also obtained employment via a visit visa are encouraged to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership. And if you’re wondering how to renew or apply for the OWWA membership in Vietnam, read our in-depth guide for the most convenient procedure.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a Philippine government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. Other agencies also work with OWWA to ensure that OFWs have acquired legal employment and can access varying assistance. These include the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA).
Furthermore, OWWA membership programs, services, and support aim to improve the lives and careers of OFWs and their dependents. OWWA members can also acquire legal assistance if an employer issue arises or Covid-19 support. The OWWA membership also grants active members livelihood programs, loans, education and training benefits, scholarships, and repatriation and reintegration programs. But most importantly, it serves as an insurance policy assisting in medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial. Therefore, OFWs in Vietnam are encouraged to keep their OWWA membership active to access maximum benefits.
On the Facebook post of the Philippine Embassy in Vietnam, OFWs who want to renew or apply for the OWWA membership should secure the requirements listed below. But since the post was back in 2019 and for the Consular Mobile Outreach Mission, it’s better to contact the Philippine Embassy in Vietnam for the latest documentary requirements for OWWA membership. Here are the following requirements:
- Duly accomplished OWWA Membership form.
- Photocopy of passport
- Photocopy of Employment Contract
- If an Employment Contract is not available, bring any of the following:
- Residence/employment permit
- SSS card
- Certificate of Employment with employer’s signature
- If you’re an old OWWA member, bring your past official receipt of OWWA membership payment to confirm the membership status.
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to VND based on the foreign exchange rate
The membership provided by OWWA provides OFWs with beneficial services, programs, and support to boost their living condition and career. On the other hand, not all OFWs are qualified to become members since OWWA requires active and continuous working members and should be “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas.
Additionally, OFWs who obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment are qualified to renew or apply for the OWWA membership.
Considering that OWWA requires active and continuous working members, the following individuals are not qualified for the OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Vietnam
As of writing, there is no online appointment system for OWWA membership in Vietnam. OFWs should also know that there is currently no designated POLO in Vietnam and the nearest POLO-OWWA office is in Macau SAR. So if you’re planning to visit Macau, you can contact their office via call or email to book an appointment.
However, since not all OFWs can travel to Macau, it is best to directly contact the Philippine Embassy in Vietnam to inquire about OWWA membership.
According to the latest announcement on the website of the Philippine Embassy in Vietnam, they will be open for walk-in applicants starting March 21, 2022, for all services except visa and passport applications. Nonetheless, it’s unclear whether the Embassy or a different POLO handles the OWWA membership for OFWs in Vietnam. Thus, OFWs in Vietnam should contact the Embassy for further details or apply for their OWWA membership during their vacation in the Philippines.
Mobile Consular Outreach Mission
Another option for OFWs in Vietnam is to renew or apply for the OWWA membership through Mobile Consular Outreach Mission. It’s a program conducted by the Philippine Embassy in Vietnam to provide consular services for OFWs in farther areas, especially those in Ho Chi Minh City.
For the specific dates and location of the Mobile Consular Outreach Mission, check the official Facebook page and website of the Philippine Embassy in Vietnam, as they announced the schedule one month before the exact date. You can also contact the Philippine Honorary Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City for more details.
Paying OWWA Membership in Vietnam
Due to the limited information for OWWA membership in Vietnam, applying for OWWA membership and paying the fee at the Embassy is unclear. But one thing is for sure. OFWs can apply or renew their OWWA membership via Mobile Consular Outreach Missions. Then, if you’re qualified, you can pay the OWWA membership fee on-site.
Pay the OWWA membership via OWWA Mobile App
If you’re renewing your OWWA membership, another easy way is to pay the membership fee via OWWA Mobile App. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Download the OWWA Mobile App on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA Mobile App and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
- Aside from the OWWA Mobile app, you can also renew or apply for the OWWA membership if you’re vacationing in the Philippines. Then, book an appointment with the nearest DMW office and pay the OWWA membership fee on-site.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Vietnam
- There is no designated POLO-OWWA office in Vietnam. Thus, OFWs in Vietnam should contact the Embassy for further details on the OWWA membership application process.
- For a convenient OWWA membership application, OFWs can opt to download the OWWA Mobile App and renew their membership online.
- On the contrary, the Philippine Embassy in Vietnam conducts Mobile Consular Outreach Missions for OFWs in Ho Chi Minh City. So OFWs residing far from Hanoi can renew or apply for the OWWA membership at the nearest designated location for Mobile Consular Outreach Missions.
- If the Embassy processes on-site OWWA membership, check the latest application requirements and entry passes, such as Covid-19 vaccination or a negative Covid-19 RT-PCR test.
- During your visit to the Philippine Embassy in Vietnam or the Philippine Honorary Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City, wear proper attire. If the applicant wears sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers, they’ll be prohibited entry.
- Due to the lack of information online for OWWA membership, OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy in Vietnam and the Philippine Honorary Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City for more details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about OWWA membership in Vietnam:
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Vietnam?
As of writing, there’s no designated POLO-OWWA office in Vietnam, and an online appointment system for OWWA membership isn’t available.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Vietnam?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Vietnam via Mobile Consular Outreach Missions or contact the Philippine Embassy in Hanoi for more details.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Log in to your account on OWWA Mobile App to renew your membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Vietnam?
The OWWA membership fee in Vietnam is US$25.00 converted to VND based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay the OWWA membership fee online by selecting an online bank or e-wallet payment on the OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
Your OWWA membership may be inactive if the validity year has exceeded or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory for workers who process their employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFWs can become OWWA members since they need to meet the eligibility criteria of OWWA and submit specific requirements.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active OWWA members. Inactive members can also avail themselves but only limited benefits.
Video: OWWA Payment Online, How to Pay OWWA Membership via Gcash
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
If you want to renew your OWWA membership online, you may refer to this video for convenience on how to use the OWWA mobile app. Log in to your account or register if you don’t have one. If your OWWA membership is inactive, click Renew Membership Here. Next, if paying via GCash, choose Cash Payment under the Payment Option on the LandBank payment portal page and click Submit. Select your preferred Over-The-Counter merchant and click Proceed. Once you’ve got a Reference Number, you can pay the OWWA membership fee via GCash or ask your relatives and friends in the Philippines to settle the payment if you’re still in Vietnam.
While there are few details online regarding OWWA membership in Vietnam, OFWs can still renew or apply for their OWWA membership through the Mobile Consular Outreach Missions. OFWs can also renew their membership online via the OWWA Mobile App.
Lastly, OFWs vacationing in the Philippines should book an appointment with any DMW office to renew their OWWA membership. In summary, OWWA membership will benefit OFWs and their families, so OFWs are encouraged to keep an active OWWA membership status.
Philippine Embassy in Hanoi, Vietnam
Operating Hours: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 27B Tran Hung Dao Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi, Vietnam
Telephone Number: +84 24 3943 7948
Email: email@example.com, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com (Consular Section) | firstname.lastname@example.org (Assistance to Nationals) | email@example.com
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinVietnam
Philippine Honorary Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City
Operating Hours: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 998 Dong Van Cong Street Thanh My Loi Ward, District 2, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Telephone Number: +84 28 3518 0045
Google Map Location
Here is a map guide to the PH Embassy in Hanoi