How to Avail OWWA ELAP – Education and Livelihood Assistance Program

For years, educational grants provided by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) cater to a wide array of OFWs and their dependents alike, from beginning migrant workers to those affected by the pandemic and other natural disasters. But they don’t stop there, for we also have the Education and Livelihood Assistance Program (ELAP), another of their benefit projects aimed to help benefactors of dearly departed OFWs.

The Education and Livelihood Assistance Program (ELAP) is a two-part benefit program consisting of an educational grant of up to PhP 10,000 for one child, usually the eldest, and a PhP 15,000 economic assistance to either surviving parents or the spouse.

If you are a child, a spouse, or a parent of a deceased active OWWA OFW member, this program shall greatly benefit you towards continuing what they have started for you. Let this article guide you through the process.

how to apply owwa ELAP - education for livelihood assistance program


The ELAP scholarship assistance is intended for dependents of deceased OFWs in primary, secondary, and tertiary levels in school. The program is offered through the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA).

ELAP beneficiaries can either use the cash aid for education or start a small business. So if you are a direct dependent or you are the one who helps support the beneficiary of the OWWA ELAP scholarship, this program will surely help.


As ELAP covers two distinct beneficiaries, those who have been accepted for Educational Assistance may enjoy an allowance of PhP 5,000 if they are in the elementary level at the time of application, PhP 8,000 if they are in high school, or PhP 10,000 if they are in college.

On the other hand, accepted beneficiaries for Economic Assistance will receive a PhP 15,000 livelihood fund.


To qualify for the benefits of this program, an OFW dependent must be:

  • A Filipino citizen
  • A legal spouse or parent of an OFW who was an active member at the time of death, or:
  • A child of a then active OWWA OFW member, in which case they must be:
    • Single, and no older than 21 years
    • In elementary, high school or college level
    • A part of the upper 20% of their graduating batch, with a General Weighted Average (GWA) of at least 80% or its equivalent.
    • A passer on the university’s current admission and retention criteria, and has not met the overall residence policy therein.
    • A passer of the Department of Science and Technology – Science Education Institute (DOST-SEI) qualifying exam
    • In good overall health and conduct
    • NOT a recipient of any government-funded scholarship grant


Eligible dependents may apply for the grant by preparing the following documents as required in their intended application:

For applicants of Educational Assistance:

  • 2 copies of duly accomplished Application Form
  • 2 copies of recent and identical 2×2 ID photo
  • OFW’s death certificate, or any document of similar nature
  • Official transmission record from consulate or embassy
    • Any of the following to certify relationship with OFW:
      • PSA-issued birth certificate of the applicant, if the applicant is a child of the OFW
      • PSA-issued birth certificate of both applicant and OFW, if the applicant is a sibling of an OFW
      • PSA-issued Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR), if OFW is unmarried.
  • Certificate of Registration or Assessment Form from enrollment.
  • Evaluation form or Admission Test Scores issued by the university or school registrar
  • Official receipt of OWWA membership contribution or OFW Info Sheet as proof of OFW’s membership status prior to death
  • Health certificate
  • Good moral certificate issued by college administrator or school principal or guidance counselor
  • Sworn statements, each certifying: 
    • That the applicant is part of the top 20% of their graduating batch, with a GWA of at least 80% or their equivalent
    • That the applicant has not taken any post-secondary courses has not taken the EDSP Qualifying Exam and is a non-recipient of any government-funded scholarship grant
    • That the applicant is not a dual citizen and has no resident immigration application in progress, duly signed by the parent or legal guardian.
  • Original Scholarship Agreement form

For applicants of Economic Assistance:

  • Duly accomplished Application Form
  • 2 copies of recent, identical Passport-size ID photo
  • Official receipt of OWWA membership contribution or OFW Info Sheet as proof of OFW’s membership status prior to death
  • Certificate of receipt of livelihood package
  • Written consent from either spouse or parent that they are not interested in the program and are delegating authority to the applicant to assume responsibility for the family, if the applicant is not the intended beneficiary.

How to Process OWWA ELAP Assistance for Dependents of Deceased OFWs

To proceed with their application, applicants must follow the following steps:

  1. Go to the designated OWWA Regional/Satellite office in your area of residence to get an application form.
  2. Fill in all required information and attach the documentary requirements.
  3. Submit your application in the office or via courier service.
  4. Patiently wait for a text, email or call from an authorized OWWA representative to confirm your slot in the program.


  1. No application for ELAP, as well as other OWWA programs, are processed with incomplete documentary requirements, so make sure to double-check your application
  2. Accepted applicants will be sent a copy of the Scholarship Agreement Form, which they are to download, print, sign notarized, and returned to the OWWA Regional Office.
  3. OWWA announces the final list of accepted beneficiaries, and the grants shall be transferred to their bank accounts within two (2) weeks of application acceptance. 
  4. It is highly recommended that accepted beneficiaries have their own bank account for the funds to be transferred. Otherwise, the grant will not be sent.
  5. The Educational Assistance of ELAP does not cover tuition costs. Rather, the grant will come in the form of allowances, ranging from PhP 5,000 for elementary-level beneficiaries, PhP 8,000 to those at the high school level, and PhP10, 000 for college-level beneficiaries.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

If you have some questions and clarifications about ELAP, please check out these questions with their answers below.

1. How much is the grant?

For educational assistance, the program provides a PhP 5,000 allowance for elementary-level beneficiaries of the OFW, PhP 8,000 for those in high school, and PhP 10,000 for college-level beneficiaries. For economic/livelihood assistance, the program hands out a PhP 15,000 single grant to the spouse or parent of the OFW.

2. Can I apply for both child and spouse/parent of the OFW?

No, you can only apply for educational assistance for the child, or economic assistance for either spouse or parent, if the OFW is unmarried. This is given that they meet the qualifications.

3. Will my beneficiary be granted a slot once I have applied for ELAP?

No, as all applications are subject to review and assessment by both OWWA and DOLE offices, applying for the program does not guarantee a slot.


The ELAP is OWWA’s way of acknowledging the hard work and sacrifices made by our OFWs in hopes of a better life for their families in the country.

It can also be a way for families to ensure that these efforts are continued and not put to waste, so be sure to help your OFW relatives maintain their membership status to avail of this and other OWWA programs.

For more information on ELAP and other OWWA programs, you may visit their website at or their official Facebook page at

error: Content is protected !!