For OFWs in Geneva, Switzerland, applying for or renewing your OWWA membership should be prioritized to qualify for the services, programs, and support accessible to registered members. In addition, OFWs who have acquired employment in Switzerland through a visit visa are encouraged to voluntarily apply for the OWWA membership to get protection and benefits. So if you’re wondering how to renew OWWA membership in Geneva, Switzerland, read our in-depth guide below.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is an agency mandated by the Philippine government to protect and promote the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents across the globe. This agency also works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). They verify that OFWs obtained legal employment and can access adequate assistance.
By becoming an OWWA member, OFWs can also enjoy varying support, programs, and services to assist in their careers and lives. It can assist OFWs in times of difficulty by providing legal assistance for those facing conflicts with their employers or Covid-19 support.
Furthermore, active OWWA members can access livelihood programs, loans, education and training benefits, scholarships, and repatriation and reintegration programs. Also, it acts as an insurance policy by assisting in medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial. Thus, OFWs in Geneva, Switzerland, are advised to keep an active OWWA membership to enjoy maximum benefits.
If you’re an OFW in Switzerland planning to apply or renew your OWWA membership, here are the following requirements you should submit to POLO Geneva:
- Duly accomplished OWWA OSMP Information Sheet
- Any of the following Proof of Employment
- Carte legitimacion
- Signed Employment Contract or Offer
- Pay slip
- Company ID
- Application for Philippine Insurance with employer’s signature
- Other relevant employment documents
- Copy of passport showing the data page
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to CHF based on the foreign exchange rate
Through the OWWA membership, OFWs and their dependents can access varying services, programs, and support to improve their lives and career. However, not everyone can apply for the membership since OWWA requires its members to be actively and continuously working and should be “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas. Furthermore, OFWs who acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries and are still Filipino citizens with a full-time or permanent job can apply for OWWA membership.
Nonetheless, OFWs who don’t have active and continuous work cannot apply or renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Geneva, Switzerland
As of writing, POLO Geneva, Switzerland, doesn’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership applications or renewal. But on an announcement posted on the official website of the Philippine Consulate General (PCG) in Geneva, Switzerland, POLO had required an appointment for OWWA membership application or renewal from December 20, 2021, to January 24, 2022.
So it’s not clear if it’s still necessary to book an appointment at the time being. Also, while POLO Geneva previously accepted walk-in applicants for OWWA membership, it is ideal to contact their office to confirm if an appointment is necessary.
Step by step on how to set up an appointment for OWWA payment
Although POLO Geneva doesn’t have an online appointment system, they may require an appointment for OWWA membership on-site application or renewal on certain days. So it is better to check their official website and Facebook page for the latest update. But to ensure if an appointment is necessary, you can contact POLO Geneva, Switzerland through the following:
- To book an appointment for the OWWA membership application, call 0227163258
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you can’t reach them via call or email, message their Facebook at the Philippine Embassy in Switzerland for further assistance.
Paying OWWA Membership in Geneva, Switzerland
Before visiting POLO Geneva to pay your OWWA membership, confirm if they accept walk-ins or book an appointment if necessary. Moreover, even if you have already booked a confirmed appointment for the OWWA membership application or renewal, it is better to contact POLO Geneva before your visit.
It’s to ensure they are open since they recently announced the temporary closure of their office due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Aside from that, OFWs in Switzerland have three options to pay the OWWA membership fee via on-site application at POLO Geneva and online through the OWWA mobile app or email.
To pay the OWWA membership fee, follow the steps below:
Via On-Site at POLO Geneva
1. Contact POLO Geneva to book an appointment, if necessary.
2. Visit POLO Geneva on your appointment date.
3. Show a copy of your confirmed appointment schedule to the guard. Also, bring proof of Covid-19 vaccination or a negative Covid-19 RT-PCR test taken 48 hours before visiting.
4. Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
5. Pay the OWWA membership fee and collect the official receipt.
Via OWWA Mobile App
1. Download and launch the OWWA mobile app on your device.
2. Register and log in to your account.
3. If registering a new account, check the email you enter on the registration to get your temporary username and password for logging in.
4. Once you’ve logged in, click the Information icon at the bottom of the dashboard.
5. If your OWWA membership is inactive, click Renew Membership Here!
6. Click I accept to agree to the Terms of Service. (Note: Your payment will only reflect after 3-days of paying the OWWA membership)
7. Fill out or update your employment details and click Submit.
8. Next, click the Payment Option on the LandBank payment portal.
9. Select your preferred payment method and click Proceed. Also, a convenience fee may apply depending on your chosen payment source or merchant.
10. On the Payment Result page, copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instruction to pay the OWWA membership fee.
To apply or renew your OWWA membership online, email email@example.com for further instruction. Then, submit your requirements for evaluation and pay the OWWA membership fee if you’re qualified.
Reminders with POLO Geneva, Switzerland
- Applying or renewing your OWWA membership on-site at POLO Geneva may or may not require an appointment. Thus, contact them for further details.
- POLO Geneva recently closed their office from July 28 to August 5, 2022, due to the Covid-19 pandemic. So ensure to give them a call before visiting, even if you have a confirmed appointment schedule.
- OFWs in Switzerland can apply or renew their OWWA membership on-site at POLO Geneva or online through email or OWWA mobile app.
- If POLO Geneva requires an appointment, bring a copy of your appointment schedule as it may serve as your gate pass.
- Bring your Covid-19 vaccination or a negative Covid-19 RT-PCR test you took within 48 hours before your visit.
- OFWs visiting the POLO Geneva office should wear a facemask and observe physical distancing.
- Wear appropriate attire when visiting POLO Geneva since wearing sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers will be prohibited entry.
- Visit the website and Facebook page of PCG Geneva, Switzerland, for the latest updates.
Video: OWWA UPDATE; ANO ANO BA ANG PROGRAMA AT BENEPISYO NA MAAARING MAKUHA NG OFW
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As stated in the video, OFWs who are active members of OWWA can access welfare assistance, including calamity, medical, and relief. Moreover, OFWs and their dependents can also avail themselves of educational training and scholarship programs, which can lessen their financial burden. Apart from that, OFWs who went through unfortunate circumstances can access social benefits, including disability, death, and burial. Thus, the OWWA membership is beneficial for OFWs and their families.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Geneva, Switzerland?
You may call or email POLO Geneva to book an appointment.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Geneva, Switzerland?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Switzerland by an on-site application at POLO Geneva, email, or OWWA mobile app.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
You can renew your OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Geneva, Switzerland?
The OWWA membership fee in Geneva, Switzerland, is US$25.00 converted to CHF based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online if you apply or renew your membership via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
Your OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory for first-time OFWs who documented their employment at POEA.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
No, not all OFW are members of OWWA since there are qualification criteria and documentary requirements for applicants.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits can be availed by active members, while inactive members can access limited benefits.
With the OWWA membership, OFWs can ensure access to varying programs, services, and supports that can improve all areas of their life. Additionally, their dependents can enjoy different services to improve their living conditions.
Thus, OFWs in Geneva, Switzerland, are highly encouraged to apply or renew their OWWA membership to enjoy loads of benefits.
POLO Office in Geneva Switzerland
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 14 Allee David-Morse, Geneva, Switzerland
Telephone Number: 079 935 6280, 0779553147, (+41)22 716 1930
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinSwitzerland
Google Map Location
Map guide of the POLO office in Geneva below: