For OFWs in Morocco, renewing your OWWA membership is necessary to access the varying services, programs, and support granted to registered members. In addition, if you obtained employment in Morocco via a visit visa, you should voluntarily apply for the OWWA membership to receive protection and OWWA benefits. Whether you’re your first time or renewing your OWWA membership, you may contact the POLO office Rabat, Morocco, for the application process. So to help you out, read our in-depth guide on how to renew OWWA membership in Morocco.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a Philippine government agency established to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies ensure that OFWs have legal employment and access to necessary assistance and aim to protect OFWs from maltreatment and exploitation.
Through the OWWA membership, qualified OFWs can access services, programs, and support to improve their lives and careers. The membership also provides OFWs support during difficult times, from accessing legal assistance due to employer conflicts to Covid-19 support.
Furthermore, registered OWWA members can avail livelihood programs, loans, education and training benefits, scholarships, and repatriation and reintegration programs. The OWWA membership also serves as an insurance policy, assisting medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial. Thus, OFWs are encouraged to keep their OWWA membership active to access maximum benefits.
As stated on the Facebook post of MWO Rabat, Morocco, the listed requirements below should be secured by OFWs applying for their OWWA membership, whether first-time or renewal. These requirements apply to OFWs in Morocco, Mali, Mauritania, Senegal, Guinea-Conakry, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Chad, and Niger as a tourist or from other countries.
- Contract with POLO template or Contract du travail (translated in English) and French should be legal or with mokataa (You may request the POLO template from email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bring the original and photocopy of the following for comparison:
- Passport and bio-page
- Employer’s ID (photocopy only)
- Certificate of Employment (request template from email@example.com) for household, skilled or professional workers employed by a company
- Moroccan national ID or la carte
- If la carte is not available, you may present proof of remittance from the bank, remittance company with a relative, or next of kin recipient or beneficiary.
- OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 or 248DH (Note: No need to pay past dues.)
Considering that OWWA is mandated to promote and protect the welfare of OFWs in their families, the membership they offer comes with beneficial services, programs, and support that can improve and ease the life of its members.
However, not everyone is eligible for the OWWA membership since OWWA requires its members to be continuously and actively working and should be “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas. Moreover, OFWs who have acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries and retain Filipino citizenship with full-time or permanent employment are eligible to apply for or renew their OWWA membership.
On the contrary, since OWWA requires its members to have active and continuous work, the following individuals are not qualified to apply or renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Morocco
As of writing, POLO Rabat, Morocco, doesn’t have an online appointment system for the OWWA membership application. It is also unclear whether or not an appointment is necessary for OWWA membership applicants since the official website and Facebook page of the Embassy of the Philippines and POLO Rabat lack details regarding OWWA membership.
But as stated on the website of the Embassy of the Philippines, consular services are strictly by appointment only due to the Covid-19 pandemic, while some services accept walk-in applicants. Thus, OFWs applying or renewing their OWWA membership in Morocco should reach out to the POLO-OWWA office for further information and a more detailed application process.
Step by step on how to set up an appointment for OWWA payment
Since POLO-OWWA Morocco doesn’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership applications, the only way to confirm if it’s necessary to book an appointment is to contact their office. You may contact them through the following:
- Message them on Facebook at the Embassy of the Philippines Labor Section- Rabat, Morocco
- Email them at https://polorabat.dole.gov.ph/
- Call their mobile number at +212-660764577 (For OWWA Membership)
Paying OWWA Membership in Morocco
According to a Facebook announcement of the Embassy of the Philippines in Rabat, Morocco, they’ll be processing OWWA membership renewal starting June 1, 2022. So OFWs in Morocco can pay for the OWWA membership fee at POLO-OWWA.
Also, remember that their office duty has two locations depending on the day. From Monday to Friday, POLO duty at their office in Rabat. But every Thursday, they operate at the Honorary Consulate in Casablanca from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. Thus, if you’re visiting their office to pay for your OWWA membership, contact the POLO-OWWA Morocco office for the payment procedures. And if you’re qualified to become an OWWA member, follow the steps below to pay the OWWA membership fee:
Step by step process of paying the OWWA membership
- Contact POLO-OWWA Morocco to confirm if an appointment is necessary. If yes, book an appointment before visiting their office.
- Go to the POLO-OWWA office and show a copy of your appointment schedule if applicable.
- Present Covid-19 vaccination card or negative Covid-19 RT-PCR test if requested.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your documents for verification.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and collect the official receipt.
Reminders with OWWA Morocco
When applying for OWWA membership in Morocco, please take note of the following reminders to ensure successful application:
- Applicants should wear facemasks at all times and observe physical distancing.
- Bring Covid-19 vaccination cards to confirm that you’re a fully vaccinated individual, or you may not be permitted to enter the premise. But if you have a medical reason, you may present a negative Covid-19 RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours before visiting the POLO-OWWA office in Morocco as an alternative.
- If an appointment is required, arrive at least 15 minutes before the scheduled time.
- OFWs should wear appropriate attire when visiting the POLO-OWWA office in Morocco since it’s a government office. However, applicants wearing sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers will be prohibited entry to the premise.
- POLO-OWWA Rabat office has primary jurisdiction over Morocco, Mali, Mauritania, Senegal, and Guinea. Their office also has oversight jurisdiction over Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Chad, and Niger. So OFWs in the said areas may contact their office for OWWA membership application or renewal.
- POLO-OWWA operates in two locations. From Monday to Friday, they are at their office in Rabat. But every Thursday of the week, they duty at the Honorary Consulate in Casablanca.
- Lastly, since there isn’t much detail regarding the OWWA membership application procedure on the Facebook page and website of the Embassy of the Philippines and POLO, OFWs should contact the relevant office for further details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some FAQs about OWWA membership in Morocco:
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Morocco?
To book an appointment for OWWA membership in Morocco, contact the POLO-OWWA office for further details.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Morocco?
To renew your OWWA membership in Morocco, you should secure the requirements for the application and pay the OWWA membership fee. You may also need to book an appointment to visit the POLO-OWWA office.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download the OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online. Sign up and log in to your account. Next, click the information section, and see if you have an active or inactive OWWA membership. If your OWWA membership is inactive, click the Renew Membership Here button. Fill out the transaction details and select a payment method. Then, pay the contribution fee to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Morocco?
The OWWA membership in Morocco is US$25.00 or 248DH.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
Yes, you can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app. Select an over-the-counter payment method and pay the OWWA membership fee through your e-wallet or online bank.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
The OWWA membership is mandatory for first-time OFWs who processed their employment at POEA.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
No, not all OFWs are OWWA members since they have to fall under the qualification criteria of OWWA and comply with requirements.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are accessible by active or registered OWWA members. On the other hand, inactive OWWA members can also access limited benefits.
Video: MGA PARAAN PARA MAKA RENEW NG OWWA MEMBERSHIP | OWWA AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT.
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, the OWWA membership is necessary for OFWs, especially those planning to let their beneficiaries go abroad. The OWWA membership is essential to get an Affidavit of Support for their relatives coming abroad.
Additionally, active OWWA members can avail themselves of scholarships for their children. So OFWs can apply or renew their OWWA membership at the POLO office on their job site, via OWWA mobile app, at any OWWA office in the Philippines or POEA, and OWWA representative desk at NAIA.
With our guide, we hope that applying for or renewing your OWWA membership in Morocco is made convenient. In addition, we highly encourage you to keep your OWWA membership active, so you’ll be available to access support and benefits for you and your family.
But if your schedule doesn’t permit it, you have the option to renew your membership through the OWWA mobile app.
POLO-OWWA Rabat, Morocco
Operating Hours: 9:00 to 6:00 pm (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday at Rabat)
10:00 am to 2:00 pm (Every Thursday at the Honorary Consulate Casablanca)
Address: #1 Avenue Al Arz, Block 1 Sector 8, Hay Riyad, Rabat, Morocco 10100
24/7 Hotline: +212-660333587
Office Landline Number: +212-808568852
Mobile Number: +212-660764577 (For OWWA Membership)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (For Welfare Concerns)
Website: https://polorabat.dole.gov.ph/, https://rabatpe.dfa.gov.ph/
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/polo.rabat21
Google Map Location
Here’s a location map guide of the POLO office in Rabat, Morocco: