For OFWs in Turkey, you should be aware that applying or renewing your OWWA membership is essential to access the services, programs, and support from the government to improve your career and your dependent’s life. Those who also acquired employment in Turkey via a visit visa are encouraged to apply voluntarily for OWWA. But how do you renew or apply for OWWA membership in Turkey? To find out, read our in-depth guide below.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). The said agencies work together to certify that OFWs obtained legal work and can avail of the varying assistance from the Philippine government.
In addition, the membership provided by OWWA comes with different services, programs, and support that cater to the needs of OFWs and their dependents. OFWs can also seek legal assistance if facing employer issues or Covid-19 relief.
Active OWWA members can also access livelihood programs, loans, education and training benefits, scholarships, and repatriation and reintegration program. Furthermore, it acts as an insurance policy that assists in medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial. Thus, OFWs in Turkey are encouraged to maintain an active OWWA membership status to enjoy the maximum benefits.
As stated on the Facebook post of the Philippine Embassy in Turkey, the POLO-OWWA officials from Lebanon deliver labor-related services to OFWs held at the Philippine Embassy in Ankara, including the OWWA membership. And since there are limited details regarding OWWA membership in Turkey, OFWs should comply with the requirements listed below from POLO-OWWA Lebanon or contact their office for further information.
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment
- Photocopy of Valid Visa and Work Permit
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- Photocopy of Employer’s Passport or ID
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 converted to TL based on the foreign exchange rate
By applying for the OWWA membership, OFWs can access many services, programs, and support that will benefit their careers and their families’ living conditions. However, not everyone can become a member since OFWs need to meet the qualification criteria of OWWA.
To qualify, OWWA requires its members to have active and continuous work and should be “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas. Moreover, OFWs who acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries and are still Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment are qualified for the OWWA membership.
On the other hand, since OWWA members should have active and continuous work, the following individuals cannot become OWWA members, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Turkey
As of writing, the OWWA membership application in Turkey doesn’t have an online appointment system. Also, there is no designated POLO in Turkey, and the only nearest POLO-OWWA office is in Beirut, Lebanon.
That’s why the officials from POLO-OWWA Lebanon visit Turkey to conduct labor-related services to OFWs, including consultation, Employment Contract Verification, and OWWA membership.
If you’re planning to apply at POLO-OWWA Lebanon, ensure to email their office first to secure an appointment. But if you’re vacationing in the Philippines, you can book an appointment at any DMW office to renew or apply for the OWWA membership.
Applying for OWWA membership in Turkey
Since the last posted visit of POLO-OWWA Lebanon was back in September 2021, OFWs in Turkey should contact their office via email to inquire regarding the latest OWWA membership application procedure. You can also contact the Philippines Embassy in Ankara, Turkey, for further details and ask where to renew or apply for the OWWA membership.
Another convenient way to renew your OWWA membership in Turkey is to download the OWWA mobile app. By doing so, renewing your OWWA membership online is possible.
You can also apply for the OWWA membership if you’re vacationing in the Philippines soon. All you have to do is to book an appointment for OWWA membership with DMW. Also, inquire regarding the latest documentary requirements for the OWWA membership application.
Paying OWWA Membership in Turkey
On the contrary, if you’re in Turkey and urgently need to renew or apply for the OWWA membership, you currently have two options to settle the payment for the OWWA membership fee through POLO-OWWA Lebanon or OWWA mobile app.
Via POLO-OWWA Lebanon
To pay the OWWA membership fee through POLO-OWWA Lebanon, contact them via email or inquire at the Philippine Embassy in Ankara when the officials of POLO-OWWA Lebanon visit Turkey to deliver labor-related services. If you’re visiting Lebanon, you can also book an appointment with their office to pay the OWWA membership fee.
Via OWWA mobile app
Renewing your membership via OWWA mobile app is much easier since you can process it anytime and anywhere. You can also pay the OWWA membership fee online or let your relatives in the Philippines settle the payment via your chosen Over-the-Counter merchant.
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
- Nonetheless, you can opt to pay the OWWA membership fee by booking an appointment at any DMW office if you’re vacationing in the Philippines. Inquire also with DMW regarding the requirements for evaluation of the OWWA membership. Then, pay the OWWA membership fee on-site.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Turkey
Take note of the following reminders for OWWA membership application in Turkey:
- There is no designated POLO in Turkey, and POLO-OWWA Lebanon provides labor-related services to OFWs at the Philippine Embassy in Ankara.
- If renewing your OWWA membership, you can conveniently process it online through the OWWA mobile app.
- OFWs in Turkey can also renew or apply for OWWA membership at any DMW office during their vacation in the Philippines.
- When visiting the Philippine Embassy in Ankara, bring your Covid-19 vaccination card or a negative Covid-19 RT-PCR test. If an appointment is necessary, show proof of your scheduled appointment during your visit.
- Applicants should wear appropriate attire when visiting the Philippine Embassy in Ankara. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers. If you do so, you won’t be allowed to enter the premise.
- Since the OWWA membership application procedure in Turkey has limited information online, OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy in Ankara and POLO-OWWA Lebanon for specific details.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Turkey?
As of writing, there is no POLO-OWWA office in Turkey, so an appointment isn’t available.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Turkey?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Turkey via OWWA mobile app or POLO-OWWA Lebanon.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and log in to OWWA mobile app to renew your membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Turkey?
The OWWA membership fee is US$25.00 converted to TL based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app. Then, select an online bank or e-wallet as the payment method.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the validity has expired or you changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory for OFWs processing their employment documents at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
No, not all OFWs are members of OWWA, as they have to meet the qualification criteria for the application,
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: OWWA Membership/Renewal Updated Requirements 2022
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, the OWWA membership application or renewal often requires an appointment. OFWs can also renew their membership at their job site or when they return to the Philippines for vacation. The requirements may also vary depending on the worker’s status. Thus, it is ideal to contact the related offices to ensure a successful application or renewal of OWWA membership.
To sum up, there are varying options for OFWs in Turkey to renew or apply for their OWWA membership. You can do it online via OWWA mobile app or with POLO-OWWA Lebanon. If you’re vacationing in the Philippines, you can also apply or renew your OWWA membership on-site at the DMW offices. Thus, if your membership is expiring soon or you’re not yet a member, follow the steps in this guide to apply for or renew your OWWA membership.
Philippine Embassy in Ankara, Turkey
Operating Hours: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Kazım Özalp Mahallesi, Kumkapı Sokak, No:36 Çankaya 06700 Ankara, Ankara Province, Turkey
Telephone Number: (+90)(312)442 3824, (+90)(312)442 3825, (+90)(312)442 3827 (Available during operating hours only)
Consular Hotline: (+90) 530 447 9743
Emergency Hotline: (+90) 534 577 2344
For Civil Registration, Notarials, and Visa: email@example.com
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinTurkey/
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 2nd Floor W. Building, Mar Geries St., Hadath, Baabda, Lebanon
Website: https://pololebanon.weebly.com/, https://beirutpe.dfa.gov.ph/
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinLebanon/, https://web.facebook.com/pololebanon/
Telephone Number: POLO: +961 05 953 523, +961 71 418 657; OWWA: +961 05 953 524
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Google Map Location
Here’s a map guide to the location of the PH Embassy in Ankara, Turkey