For OFWs in Lebanon, having an active OWWA membership is essential to access different benefits provided by OWWA. If your membership will soon expire, ensure to renew it at POLO Lebanon.
Additionally, Filipinos who are not members of OWWA can apply for membership by submitting the required documents and meeting the qualification criteria imposed by OWWA. So if you want to renew or apply for the OWWA membership in Lebanon, keep reading and follow the guide below.
Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) are some of the most hardworking individuals throughout the world, staking their lives to provide a better life for their families. Despite experiencing constraints by working in foreign countries, they continue to work, hoping to change their life.
That’s why the Philippine Government and the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA)established the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA), a government agency mandated to promote and protect the welfare of OFWs and their families around the world.
OWWA provides a membership program to qualified OFWs that can help improve their lives and families and serve as their protection in foreign countries.
By becoming an OWWA member, OFWs can access varying programs and services, like educational and training benefits, financial assistance, livelihood programs, and loans. Furthermore, active OWWA members can request support during difficult times, such as legal assistance if OFWs have an arising conflict with their employer. The OWWA membership also acts as an insurance policy, offering OFWs benefits including medical, calamity, disability, death, and burial. Thus, OFWs are encouraged to apply or renew their OWWA membership to avail the benefits of OWWA.
If you’re an OFW in Lebanon, here are the following requirements you need to comply with to renew or apply for the OWWA membership:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment
- Photocopy of Valid Visa and Work Permit
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- Photocopy of Employer’s Passport or ID
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 (converted to local currency based on foreign exchange rate)
Whether you’re an old or aspiring OWWA member, you have to meet the qualification criteria imposed by OWWA. The institution requires both old and new OWWA members to have active and continuous work and is “legal” or “documented” workers who processed their overseas employment at POEA with valid visas and work permits. In addition, OWWA accepts members who have obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries and maintain their Filipino citizenship with full-time or permanent employment.
On the contrary, considering that OWWA members should have active and continuous work, the following individuals cannot renew or apply for the OWWA membership, including:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Lebanon
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, renewing or applying for the OWWA membership requires OFWs to book an appointment to visit the POLO Lebanon office. As seen on the POLO Lebanon office Facebook post, OFWs have to book an appointment schedule for the OWWA membership application as the cases of Covid-19 continuously increases.
Once an appointment schedule is available, make sure to take a screenshot of your booking details as you may need it to visit the POLO Lebanon office. It is in a similar building where the Philippine Embassy in Lebanon is.
Applying for OWWA membership in Lebanon
As stated in the POLO Lebanon Facebook post, it is necessary to book an appointment for the OWWA membership application in Lebanon. So OFWs cannot directly head to the POLO Lebanon office without an appointment schedule.
But before that, OFWs need to verify the status of their OWWA membership by calling OWWA at 05953524. After the verification, OFWs can request an appointment schedule to apply or renew their OWWA membership if it is valid and expire in 3 months.
On the other hand, OFWs without valid membership will receive a notification by an OWWA representative to process their employment documents for verification. Once they have completed the documentary requirements, they submit them to the POLO hotline at 71-418-657 for pre-evaluation and appointment schedule.
If the submitted documentation is complete, the OFW can proceed with the OWWA membership and visit the POLO Lebanon office on the scheduled date of appointment.
Paying OWWA Membership at POLO Lebanon
After securing an appointment schedule with POLO Lebanon, make sure to bring complete and in order requirements on the day of your visit. You can also pay the OWWA membership fee once your application is approved. So to pay the OWWA membership fee, follow the steps below.
Step by step process of paying the OWWA membership
- Call OWWA at 05953524 for verification of your OWWA membership status.
- If you have a valid OWWA membership status that will expire in 3 months or recently documented your employment with POLO Lebanon, you can proceed to request a scheduled appointment at email@example.com.
- Secure your requirements and check your appointment before heading to the POLO Lebanon office.
- Go to the OWWA counter and submit your complete documents for verification.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and collect the official receipt.
Reminders with POLO-OWWA Lebanon
Another thing, OFWs need to remember the following reminders below to have a successful transaction with POLO Lebanon and have an active OWWA membership status.
- OFWs should verify their membership by calling OWWA before requesting an appointment to visit the POLO Lebanon office.
- Ensure that your requirements are complete and in order. If an applicant submits incomplete requirements, the officer in charge will not process the application for the OWWA membership.
- Bring along a copy of your confirmed appointment schedule as the officer in charge may check it when you visit the POLO Lebanon office.
- OFWs should wear proper or smart casual attire when visiting the POLO Lebanon office. Since it is a government premise, it is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers. If the said attire is worn, the applicant won’t be allowed to enter the office.
- The new members of OWWA can access their programs, services, and regular activities three months after acquiring the OWWA membership.
- Since the application process for the OWWA membership is due on the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions, it is ideal checking the official Facebook page and website of POLO Lebanon and the Philippine Embassy in Lebanon.
Video: OWWA Membership in Lebanon
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As stated in the video, OWWA assisted OFWs during this pandemic to access quarantine facilities and provided transportation. They also assist OFWs with their medicals, like injuries, and help them get back home.
Since OFWs with health issues cannot head back to work abroad, OWWA also provides them assistance for startup businesses. OWWA also offers Php20,000 financial assistance for distressed OFWs returning to the country, which they can use to start their business.
Thus, OWWA assists OFWs no matter the situation and provides the necessary solution to their problems.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please check out these FAQs about the OWWA appointment membership in Beirut office:
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Lebanon?
You can book an appointment with POLO-OWWA Lebanon after verifying your OWWA membership status. If you have a valid membership or application, you can book an appointment at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Lebanon?
To renew your OWWA membership in Lebanon, you need to request a scheduled appointment to visit the POLO Lebanon office. Then, submit the applicable requirements stated above and pay the OWWA membership fee on the day of your visit to POLO Lebanon.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
You can renew your OWWA membership online by downloading and signing up for an account on the OWWA mobile app. Next, log in to your account and click Renew Membership Here. Select your preferred payment method and complete the transaction by paying the OWWA membership fee.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Lebanon?
The OWWA membership is exactly US$25.00 converted to Lebanese Pound based on the monthly foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
Yes, you can pay the OWWA membership fee online if you renew your membership via OWWA mobile app. There are several payment methods available in the app. You can choose an online bank or e-wallet to pay the OWWA membership fee. In addition, you can ask your relatives to pay the OWWA membership fee at the nearest OWWA Regional office or payment centers.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership comes with two-year validity, expiring on the date of the application.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
Your OWWA membership will be inactive if the two-year validity has passed. Also, if you have an expired work visa or change an employer, your OWWA membership automatically becomes inactive. Considering that the OWWA membership is only valid for two years under the same employer listed during the application, changing employers will result from an inactive OWWA membership status.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Yes, it is mandatory for OFWs who are first time to work abroad and completed their employment at POEA.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
No, not all OFWs are members of OWWA. As listed above, OWWA has requirements and qualification criteria for its members. Thus, undocumented OFWs or those without permanent employment cannot become an OWWA member.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
The varying benefits of OWWA are accessible by active or registered members. Inactive members can also access OWWA benefits but limited services and programs they can enjoy.
Overall, OFWs in Lebanon should keep an active OWWA membership to enjoy varying benefits, from health to financial assistance. They can contact POLO-OWWA Lebanon to proceed with the OWWA membership application or go for a more convenient process using the OWWA mobile app.
Also, OFWs can reach out to the POLO Lebanon Watsapp hotline at 71-418-657 for further inquiries.
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 2nd Floor W. Building, Mar Geries St., Hadath, Baabda, Lebanon
Telephone Number: POLO: +961 05 953 523, +961 71 418 657, OWWA: +961 05 953 524
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: https://pololebanon.weebly.com/, https://beirutpe.dfa.gov.ph/
Facebook Page: https://facebook.com/PHinLebanon/, https://facebook.com/pololebanon/
Google Map Location
Please check out the location guide below of the Philippine Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon for POLO Beirut office