Are you looking for ways how to process your OWWA membership in Palau? If you answered yes, you’re in the right place. This article is an in-depth guide to the OWWA membership application process in Palau, including the list of documentary requirements. We also included the contact details of relevant offices that you may refer to for inquiries and assistance. So read on to find out how to renew or apply for OWWA membership in Palau.
On May 1, 1997, the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) was founded and mandated to promote the welfare and ensure the safety of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their families. This government agency is attached to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), which provides varying benefits to OFWs through an obligatory contribution.
OWWA offers a membership program to OFWs, which includes different services and support to improve their livelihood and assist their dependent’s educations. Furthermore, the agency provides financial and legal assistance to distressed OFWs, especially those maltreated by their employers and who lose their jobs. It also serves as insurance by providing OFWs with medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial benefits. That’s why OFWs in Palau are encouraged to apply voluntarily or renew their OWWA membership.
If you’re renewing or applying for OWWA membership in Palau, here are the following primary documentary requirements you should comply with:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Original and copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of the Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00
Through the OWWA membership program, OFWs can access varying services and support that benefits their livelihood and dependents. Thus, OFWs should ensure an active OWWA membership. However, not all are qualified for membership since OWWA has imposed qualification criteria. OWWA requires its members to have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas to be eligible for membership.
Moreover, OWWA welcomes as members OFWs who have obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries if they remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment. On the contrary, OFWs who cannot meet the said criteria are not qualified to renew or apply for OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Palau
As of writing, there is no online appointment system for OWWA membership in Palau, and a designated POLO doesn’t exist in this country. The nearest POLO offices from Palau are in Malaysia and Singapore. Thus, OFWs in Palau may contact POLO Malaysia and Singapore for inquiries on OWWA membership.
Meanwhile, the Philippine Consulate General (PCG) in Guam and Palau conducts Consular Outreach Mission in the country, which may require an appointment. However, it’s unclear if they process OWWA membership in Palau during the Consular Outreach Mission. So OFWs should contact the PCG offices in Agana, Guam, and Koror, Palau.
OFWs vacationing in the Philippines may also book an appointment with DMW or OWWA Regional offices. In addition, since Palau is close to the Philippines, OFWs may contact the OWWA offices in the Philippines for more information on OWWA membership applications.
Applying for OWWA membership in Palau
Based on a Facebook post of PCG Palau, PCG Guam conducts a Consular Outreach Mission in the country. So OFWs in Palau may contact their offices to confirm if they process OWWA membership on-site and the upcoming schedule of the Consular Outreach Mission.
Aside from that, OFWs in Palau may process their OWWA membership with DMW or OWWA Regional office if vacationing in the Philippines. But if you’re looking for the most convenient process, we recommend using the OWWA mobile app.
Paying OWWA Membership in Palau
There is limited information about OWWA membership in Palau. But OFWs may verify with PCG offices in Palau and Guam if they process OWWA membership. If they do, OFWs can pay the OWWA membership on-site during the Consular Outreach Mission. The same payment process applies to DMW or OWWA Regional office.
On the other hand, OFWs using the OWWA mobile app can choose from varying payment options. You can pay the OWWA membership fee through an online bank, e-wallet, or over-the-counter payment centers in the Philippines. Also, you can ask your relatives in the Philippines to settle the payment.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via Consular Outreach Mission (PCG Palau and Guam)
- Contact the PCG offices in Palau and Guam.
- Book an appointment for OWWA membership.
- Print or take a screenshot of the confirmed appointment schedule sent to your email.
- Complete the documentary requirements for application.
- Visit the designated site for the Consular Outreach Mission in Palau.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and claim the official receipt of your payment.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Palau
If you’re an OFW in Palau and you wish to process your OWWA membership, please take note of the following reminders:
- As of writing, there is no designated POLO in Palau. The nearest POLO offices from Palau are in Malaysia and Singapore.
- OFWs in Palau may process their OWWA membership via Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office. Also, you may inquire with POLO Malaysia and Singapore.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test took 48 hours from the visit.
- We recommend OFWs contact the PCG offices in Palau and Guam and POLO offices in Malaysia and Singapore for inquiries and assistance on OWWA membership. You may also check their official website and Facebook pages for the latest announcement.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Palau?
As of writing, Palau doesn’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Palau?
You may renew your OWWA membership in Palau through Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Palau?
The OWWA membership fee in Palau is US$25.00.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: How to Pay Owwa Renewal Membership Online | Through Palawan Express
For more information on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, OFWs can process their OWWA membership without visiting the Philippine Consulate. They can process their OWWA membership via OWWA mobile app and ask their relatives or friends in the Philippines to pay the contribution fee at Palawan Express. So no matter where OFWs are in the world, processing their membership is made easy through OWWA mobile app.
In short, OFWs in Palau can process their OWWA membership in varying ways to make it convenient to access OWWA benefits. However, there is limited information regarding OWWA membership in Palau. Thus, we advise OFWs to contact the relevant offices for inquiries on the latest application process and documentary requirements.
Philippine Consulate in Koror, Palau
Address: Surangel’s Worldwide Travel Building, PO Box 295, Koror PW 96940, Palau
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/hpcpalau
Telephone Number: +680 488 5077
Philippine Consulate General in Agana, Guam
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Suite 601, ITC building, 590 S. Marine Corps Drive, Tamuning, Guam 96913
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinAgana/
24/7 Hotline: +1 671 488 4630 (for emergency cases only)
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 1, Jalan Changkat Kia Peng, Kuala Lumpur, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah
Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinMalaysia
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
OWWA Telephone Numbers: +(603) 9202 3756, +(6019) 333 0156
POLO Telephone Numbers: +(603) 2181 7299, +(603) 2161 2222
Operating Hours: 9 am to 4 pm (excluding public holidays)
Address: 20 Nassim Road, Singapore 258395
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/POLOSPORE, https://web.facebook.com/WeloveOWWASingapore
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone Number: +65-6737-3977
Mobile Number: +65-8186-3549