If you’re an OFW in Hungary and wondering how to renew your OWWA membership, you’re in the right place. In today’s article, we’ll share the application process for OWWA membership in Hungary, the documents you need to secure, and the contact details of the relevant offices you should contact. We also encourage all OFWs with expired membership and those who have acquired employment via a visit visa to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership. And without further ado, let’s get down to the details.
Before we dive straight into the application process, let’s discuss what OWWA is and its function. Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency mandated to protect and promote the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs), including their dependents. It is an attached agency to the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) and Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) that assist OFWs worldwide.
In addition, OWWA offers a membership program to OFWs that includes varying support and services that benefit their well-being, livelihood, and even their dependent education. Active OWWA members suffering from maltreatment or difficulties can seek legal and financial assistance from OWWA. But most all, the OWWA membership serves as OFWs insurance that provides them medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial benefits. That’s why we encourage OFWs with expired memberships or who are not yet members to process their OWWA membership.
If you’re planning to renew or apply for OWWA membership, here are the primary documentary requirements you should comply with as per the Facebook post of the Philippine Embassy in Hungary:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Original and copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of the Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad acknowledge by POLO Milan.
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to HUF based on the foreign exchange rate.
OWWA serve as OFWs helping hand, assisting them abroad and even their dependents in the Philippines. However, even though it’s mandated to promote and protect the welfare of OFWs and their dependents, not everyone is eligible for OWWA membership. OWWA has qualification criteria that OFWs should meet, such as having active and continuous work and being “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas.
Aside from that, OWWA accepts as members OFWs who have obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries. But they should remain Filipino citizens and have full-time or permanent employment to be eligible for OWWA membership. Nonetheless, OFWs who cannot meet OWWA’s eligibility criteria cannot apply for or renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Hungary
As of writing, Hungary doesn’t provide an online appointment system for OWWA membership since there is no designated POLO in the country. In addition, POLO Milan has jurisdiction over Hungary, providing labor-related services and concerns to OFWs.
POLO Milan and the Philippine Embassy in Budapest also conduct a Consular Outreach Mission in Hungary. So OFWs in Hungary may contact these two offices to book an appointment for OWWA membership and determine the upcoming schedule of the Consular Outreach Mission.
Meanwhile, POLO Milan has an online appointment system for OWWA membership. But the OWWA OSMP Scheduler is only accessible to areas under their primary jurisdiction, including Milan and Northern Italy. For those vacationing in the Philippines, we also advise contacting DMW or OWWA Regional office to book an appointment for OWWA membership.
Applying for OWWA membership in Hungary
Based on the available details on the Facebook page of the Philippine Embassy in Hungary, OFWs can process their OWWA membership on-site through the Consular Outreach Mission conducted by POLO-OWWA Milan. Thus, we advise OFWs in Hungary to contact these two offices for more information.
But if vacationing in the Philippines, OFWs can process their OWWA membership at DMW or OWWA Regional office. Another easy way to process your membership is through the OWWA mobile app, allowing you to renew your OWWA membership online.
Paying OWWA Membership in Hungary
You have two ways to pay the OWWA membership fee, on-site and online. If on-site, you can pay the contribution fee if processing your OWWA membership through the Consular Outreach Mission conducted by POLO Milan. The same goes for DMW and OWWA Regional offices.
If you’re in for convenience, then the best way to process your membership is to download the OWWA mobile app. This app allows you to pay the OWWA membership fee online via bank or e-wallet. Additionally, you can pay the OWWA membership fee at over-the-counter payment centers and OWWA Regional office if you don’t have a bank or e-wallet. Your relatives can also pay for it if you’re not in the Philippines.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via Consular Outreach Mission (POLO Milan)
- Contact POLO Milan and the Philippine Embassy in Hungary.
- Book an appointment for on-site OWWA membership registration and renewal during the Consular Outreach Mission.
- Secure the necessary documentary requirements.
- Take a screenshot or print a copy of the confirmation email as proof of the confirmed appointment schedule.
- Visit the designated application on the day of your appointment.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and claim the official receipt of your payment.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Hungary
If you want to process your OWWA membership in Hungary, here are the following reminders you should keep in mind:
- As of writing, Hungary doesn’t have a designated POLO, and it’s under the oversight jurisdiction of POLO Milan.
- OFWs in Hungary may process their OWWA membership via the Consular Outreach Mission conducted by POLO Milan, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours from the visit.
- Since there is limited information regarding OWWA membership, we advise OFWs in Hungary to contact the Philippine Embassy in Budapest, POLO Milan, and their agency for inquiries and assistance. Also, visit their official Facebook pages and websites for the latest updates.
Video: PAANO MAG REGISTER SA OWWA KUNG NAKALAGAY YOU DON’T HAVE OWWA ACCOUNT || I ACTIVATE AT MAGBAYAD
For more information on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As stated in the video, OFWs can activate their OWWA membership and pay the contribution fee online through the OWWA mobile app. If you don’t have an account, all you have to do is sign up for one. But if you can’t still create an account despite signing up, you may email email@example.com for help. Then, OWWA may request proof of your identification, like your passport, to authenticate your account.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Hungary?
As of writing, Hungary doesn’t have an online appointment for OWWA membership.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Hungary?
OFWs in Hungary may renew their OWWA membership via POLO Milan’s Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, and OWWA Regional office.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Hungary?
The OWWA membership fee in Hungary is US$25.00 converted to HUF based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online on OWWA mobile app via an online bank or e-wallet.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
In summary, the OWWA membership is essential for OFWs, especially during difficulties and if they have dependents who are studying. So if you’re membership is already expired, or you are not yet an OWWA member, we recommend following this guide to process your OWWA membership in Hungary.
Also, don’t forget to contact the relevant offices to confirm the latest requirements and application process.
Philippine Embassy in Budapest, Hungary
Operating Hours: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Gábor Aron utca 58, Budapest, Hungary
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHLinHungary
Telephone Number: (+36)(1) 391-4300
Fax Number: (+36)(1) 200-5528
Temporary Operating Hours: 9 am to 1:30 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Philippine Consulate General Milan-Viale Stelvio, 71- Via Bernina 18, 20159 Milan, Italy
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/polomilanofficial/
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone Number: +39-02-668-4647 (POLO), +39-02-668-05954 (OWWA)