Are you wondering how to renew your OWWA membership in Chile? Or do you want to apply for OWWA membership? If you answered yes, you’re in the right place. This article is an in-depth guide on how to process OWWA membership in Chile. We also added the list of documentary requirements you should secure and the contact details of relevant offices that can help you. So read on to learn how to process OWWA membership in Chile.
OWWA stands for Overseas Workers Welfare Administration, founded on May 1, 1997, a government agency mandated to promote the welfare and ensure the safety of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their families. It’s attached to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), assisting OFWs across the globe by paying an obligatory contribution for OWWA membership.
With this, OWWA provides OFWs with different programs, services, and support to assist in their livelihood and dependents’ education. Furthermore, the agency helps distressed and maltreated OFWs through financial or legal assistance. It also acts as insurance, which provides OFWs with medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial benefits. Therefore, OFWs in Chile should prioritize applying for OWWA membership to ensure access to these benefits.
If you’re an OFW in Chile, here are the primary documentary requirements you should secure whether renewing or applying for OWWA membership:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment, such as:
- Valid Visa and Work Permit
- Employment offer
- Latest payslip
- Certificate of Employment from the company or employer
- Company ID
- Other relevant employment documents
- OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 converted to CLP based on the foreign exchange rate.
OWWA is a government agency responsible for OFWs’ welfare and safety. Thus, they provide varying benefits that can improve and assist OFWs’ lives. However, not all OFWs are entitled to membership since OWWA imposed qualification criteria. OWWA members should have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas.
In addition, OFWs who have obtained permanent residency status can apply for OWWA membership. But note that they should retain their Filipino citizenship and have full-time or permanent employment. On the other hand, OFWs who don’t meet the stated qualifications are not qualified for OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Chile
At the time of writing, Chile doesn’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership. Chile also doesn’t have a designated POLO. The nearest POLO offices are in Los Angles and Washington, conduct the Consular Outreach Mission, the same as the Philippine Embassy in Santiago, Chile. Thus, OFWs in Chile may contact these offices for inquiries and appointments for the Consular Outreach Mission.
Aside from that, OFWs may process their OWWA membership on-site at DMW or OWWA Regional office if vacationing in the Philippines. However, OWWA Regional offices have different policies. So OFWs should contact the office before visiting to confirm if an appointment is necessary or if they accept walk-ins.
Applying for OWWA membership in Chile
Based on the official website of the Philippine Embassy in Santiago, Chile, their office conducts a Consular Outreach Mission. However, it’s unclear if they process OWWA membership during the event. Thus, OFWs should contact their office to verify. OFWs may also apply on-site at DMW or OWWA Regional office if vacationing in the Philippines.
Meanwhile, POLO Washington and Los Angeles both process OWWA membership on-site at their office or through Consular Outreach Mission. Additionally, POLO Washington process OWWA membership through email and regular mail. So we advise you to contact their offices to verify these processes exist and apply to OFWs in Chile. Lastly, OFWs can also process their OWWA membership online through OWWA mobile app.
Paying OWWA Membership in Chile
OFWs can pay the contribution fee the same day if processing their OWWA membership on-site through Consular Outreach Mission, DMW, or OWWA Regional office. If processing with POLO Washington email or regular mail, you should follow the payment instructions they will send.
But you can also process your membership through OWWA mobile app if you want the most convenient way. Then, pay the contribution fee via an online bank, e-wallet, or over-the-counter payment centers. Also, if you’re not in the Philippines, you can ask your relatives to pay the contribution fee.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Here are the following steps to expect when paying the OWWA membership fee:
Via Email (For POLO Washington)
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Complete and scan the requirements.
- Email your documentary requirements to email@example.com.
- If your application is approved, follow the instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee sent to your email.
- Take a screenshot of the OWWA membership fee payment receipt and send it to OWWA’s email to receive an email e-copy of your official receipt.
- Then, email OWWA to set an appointment for pick up to claim your OWWA membership’s original official receipt.
Via On-Site/Consular Outreach Mission (POLO Los Angeles/Washington & Philippine Embassy in Chile)
- Contact POLO Los Angeles or Washington to confirm if the appointment is necessary or if walk-in applicants are accepted. For Consular Outreach Mission, book an appointment with POLO Los Angeles, POLO Washington, or Philippine Embassy in Chile.
- Visit the POLO Los Angeles/Washington office or the designated application site for Consular Outreach Mission.
- Head to the OWWA counter and present your requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and claim the official receipt.
Via Regular Mail (For POLO Washington)
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Secure and photocopy the requirements.
- Ensure that the documents are complete.
- Add a self-addressed, stamped, and prepaid on the return envelope.
- Mail your requirements to the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), Embassy of the Philippines, 1600 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington DC, 20036.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Chile
If processing your OWWA membership in Chile, please keep in mind the following reminders:
- At the time of writing, Chile doesn’t have a designated POLO. So the nearest POLO offices OFWs may refer to are POLO Los Angeles and Washington.
- OFWs in Chile may process their OWWA membership through OWWA mobile app, Consular Outreach Mission, DMW, and OWWA Regional office. Also, confirm with POLO Washington if their regular mail and email process applies to OFWs in Chile.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- For on-site application, bring a copy of your confirmed appointment schedule and your Covid-19 vaccination card or Negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours from your visit.
- Since there’s limited information about OWWA membership, OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy in Santiago, Chile, and their agency. You may also inquire with POLO Los Angeles and Washington. Also, visit their official websites and Facebook pages to get the latest announcements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Chile?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Chile.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Chile?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Chile through Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, OWWA Regional office, or POLO Washington regular mail and email.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Chile?
The OWWA membership fee in Chile is US$25.00 converted to CLP based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay the membership fee online using the OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
OWWA membership becomes inactive if the validity has expired or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory for workers who process their employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW are OWWA members since they need to comply with certain documents and qualification criteria for OWWA membership application.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited services.
Video: Turuan kita kung paano magrenew at magbayad ng OWWA online | paano maging active OWWA member | ofw
For more information on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, OFWs no longer need to visit the Philippine Embassy or POLO-OWWA offices when processing their OWWA membership. Just download the OWWA mobile app and sign up for an account. Then, renew your membership online and choose the most convenient payment method available.
Overall, OFWs in Chile should keep their OWWA membership active to ensure assistance and benefits from the agency. There are also varying ways to process OWWA membership, like the OWWA mobile app. So no matter where OFWs are, they can become OWWA members. Also, contact the relevant offices for assistance with OWWA membership.
Philippine Embassy in Santiago, Chile
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, from Monday to Friday
Address: Felix de Amesti 367 Las Condes, Santiago, Chile
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinChile
Telephone Number: +56 2 2208 1313
POLO Washington, DC, USA
Operating Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 1617 Massachusetts Avenue North West, Washington, DC, United States, Washington, District of Columbia
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064785936453
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone Number: +1 202-467-9426
POLO Los Angeles, California
Address: 3435 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 3040, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, 90010
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHLinLA
Telephone Number: +1 213-223-1120
POLO Hotline: +1 213-944-2599