For OFWs in Vancouver, Canada, renewing your OWWA membership is essential to avail of the services, programs, and other benefits OWWA offers. Also, Filipinos in Vancouver without OWWA membership should apply with the POLO Vancouver office to access the varying benefits OWWA delivers to its registered members.
And due to restrictions, the application process for OWWA membership is via email. So to proceed with the application, follow the guide below for the OWWA membership in Vancouver, Canada.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is an agency established by the Philippine Government, working with the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), mandated to promote and protect the welfare of OFWs and their families throughout the globe. The institution offers a membership program to OFWs, making their lives and families better and protecting OFWs in foreign countries.
Through the OWWA memberships, active members of the institution can avail of different programs and services, including education and training benefits, loans, and financial assistant and livelihood programs.
Moreover, OWWA membership acts as OFWs support when suffering from difficulties, such as conflict with the employer, and provides legal assistance if necessary. It also serves as an insurance policy to OFWs providing benefits such as disability, medical, calamity, death, and burial. That’s why OFWs should ensure they have an active OWWA membership status to access the OWWA benefits.
If you’re an OFW in Vancouver, you may renew or apply for the OWWA membership by securing the following requirements below. Also, OFWs residing in Alberta and Saskatchewan can process their OWWA membership at POLO Vancouver as they manage the applications in the said area.
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment
- Photocopy of Valid Visa and Work Permit
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 (converted to local currency based on foreign exchange rate)
Aside from the stated requirements above, OFWs need to meet the qualification criteria before becoming OWWA members, both for renewal and first-time applicants.
OWWA requires its members to have active and continuous work with valid visas and work permits. Furthermore, OWWA accepts new and old members who have acquired a permanent residency status in foreign countries with full-time or permanent employment and remain Filipino citizens.
On the other hand, while OWWA would like to cover all OFWs, the institution requires an active and continuous working member. Thus, the following individuals are not qualified to apply or renew their OWWA membership, including:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Vancouver
As of writing, OFWs don’t need to book an appointment to apply or renew their OWWA membership with POLO Vancouver. In addition, their office does not offer an online booking appointment system for OWWA membership.
However, this application process is temporary and only based on the Covid-19 restriction.
Thus, it is ideal for OFWs to check the POLO Vancouver Facebook page and Philippine Consulate General (PCG) Vancouver official website for the latest updates.
Applying for OWWA membership in Vancouver
Since OFWs in Alberta and Saskatchewan are under POLO Vancouver, they can follow the same process for the application, whether renewing or first-time applicant.
OFWs should secure the applicable document and send them to POLO Vancouver email. Remember, the application with POLO Vancouver via email is temporary due to Covid-19 restrictions. So it may change once the restrictions ease, so better check POLO Vancouver Facebook page and PCG Vancouver website for updates and inquiries.
Paying OWWA Membership at Vancouver
Once the documents are complete, OFWs can send them to POLO Vancouver email to be verified. OFWs will then undergo an evaluation interview through video call on their social media account.
If the applicant met the qualification and completed the necessary documents, POLO Vancouver will notify them of an approved request for the application. They will also send the instructions for the payment of the OWWA membership fee of exactly US$25 or converted to CAD$ based on the foreign exchange rate.
Nonetheless, OFWs should not pay the membership fee if they haven’t received a notification via email from POLO Vancouver confirming an approved request for the OWWA membership application. And to pay the OWWA membership fee with POLO Vancouver, follow the steps below.
Step by step process of paying the OWWA membership
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Secure the necessary and complete documents, and scan them.
- Send the scanned documents to POLO Vancouver email at email@example.com.
- Attend the evaluation interview video call via social media account.
- Next, wait for the email notification from POLO Vancouver, confirming an approved request and containing the instruction on how to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- After the payment is confirmed, POLO Vancouver will send a copy of the official receipt to the applicants’ email.
Reminders with POLO Vancouver
To ensure a successful and smooth application for the OWWA membership, here are some reminders OFWs need to keep in mind with POLO Vancouver, including:
- OFWs in Vancouver can apply or renew their OWWA membership with POLO Vancouver by sending the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For OFWs in Alberta and Saskatchewan, you can also apply or renew your OWWA membership with the POLO Vancouver office.
- Ensure that your documents are complete and not blurred before submitting them to POLO Vancouver email.
- All OFWs processing their OWWA membership application with POLO Vancouver are required to go through an evaluation interview video call via their social media accounts.
- The POLO Vancouver will send the instructions for the payment of the OWWA membership fee if the applicant qualifies for the membership.
- The programs, services, and regular activities of OWWA are accessible by new members after three months of granting the membership.
- ·The membership application of POLO Vancouver is temporary due to the Covid-19 restrictions. So OFWs should check the POLO Vancouver Facebook page and PCG Vancouver website for the latest announcements.
Video: OWWA Membership in Vancouver
For more details on the OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As explained in the video, the OWWA membership fee should be paid by the employer during the initial contract, whether the OFW is agency-hired or direct-hired.
They also discussed that the OWWA membership is mandatory for first-time workers abroad and assisted in the application process by agencies if the applicant is agency-hired.
Furthermore, the speakers discuss the validity of OWWA membership for seafarers who only have six months contracts. The speaker clarified that the OWWA membership still applies if the seafarer will board again for work, and the effect of membership will last up to two years.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please check out these FAQs about the OWWA appointment membership in Vancouver office:
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Vancouver?
There is no appointment system for the OWWA membership application in Vancouver. However, OFWs cannot walk into their office since the application is via email.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Vancouver?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Vancouver by completing the necessary documents and meeting the qualification criteria. Then, scan the documents and email them to POLO Vancouver for verification. Undergo the evaluation interview video call via your social media account. If you’re qualified for the membership, you will receive a notification from POLO Vancouver and instructions on paying the OWWA membership fee.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
To renew your membership online, download the OWWA mobile app and sign up for an account. Login to and click Renew Membership Here and select your preferred payment method.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Vancouver?
The OWWA membership fee in Vancouver is CAD$32.03 or US$25 converted to local currency monthly foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
Yes, the membership fee is payable online using the OWWA mobile app. Once you renew your membership in the app, you can select online payment options, like bank or e-wallet.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership is only valid for two years and will last on the date of the application.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed. Also, your membership becomes inactive if your work visa has expired or changed to a new employer. Considering that the OWWA membership validity only applies to the same employer listed during the application, changing employers in less than two years will result in inactive membership status.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Yes, the OWWA membership is mandatory for first-time OFWs processing their employment at POEA.
9. Are all OFWs, members of OWWA?
No, not all OFWs are members of OWWA. Since becoming an OWWA member requires the applicant to meet the qualification criteria and comply with the documents, OFWs who are not qualified cannot become members of OWWA.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
The OWWA benefits are available by registered or active members of the institution. Moreover, inactive members can avail of OWWA benefits, but only limited programs and services.
The OWWA membership in Vancouver, Canada, offers a convenient application process for OFWs who can easily renew or apply to ensure active membership status.
They can also opt to renew their membership via OWWA mobile app for efficient application and pay the fee online or let their relatives pay it. Thus, we encourage all OFWs to keep their OWWA membership active to avail the institution’s beneficial offers.
Address: World Trade Center Office Complex Suite 601, 999 Canada Place, Vancouver, BC, V6C3E1
Telephone Number: (+1) 604 641 1234
POLO Hotline: (+1) 604 767 3354
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook Page: https://facebook.com/POLOinVancouver/
Google Map Location
Below is the map guide location of the POLO-OWWA office in Vancouver: