If you’re an OFW in Brunei, renewing your OWWA membership is beneficial to access services and programs OWWA provides. Also, active OWWA members can receive support during a crisis, from financial to legal assistance. Furthermore, Filipinos who don’t have an OWWA membership and acquired employment may register at the POLO-OWWA Brunei office.
To become an OWWA member, check out this guide for the list of requirements, qualification criteria, and the steps to successfully renew or apply for the OWWA membership in Brunei.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is an agency founded by the Philippine Government, working with the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), and Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO).
The agency is mandated to promote and protect Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their families through a membership program. With the OWWA membership, registered OWWA members can enjoy varying services and programs that aim to make OFWs and their families live better.
In addition, the OWWA membership offers protection to its members while working in foreign countries by providing support during critical times, like legal assistance for OFWs who have a conflict with their employers. Active OWWA members can also enjoy programs and services, such as education and training benefits, livelihood programs, loans, and reintegration and repatriation benefits.
Aside from that, the OWWA membership serves as an insurance policy, providing OFWs with benefits in calamity, medical, disability, death, and burial. Therefore, OFWs in Brunei are encouraged to renew or apply for the OWWA membership to maximize OWWA benefits.
For OFWs in Brunei who wish to renew or apply for the OWWA membership, here are the following requirements you need to submit for the application:
- Book an appointment
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment
- Photocopy of Valid Visa, Work Permit, S Pass
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 or B$35.00 (converted to local currency based on foreign exchange rate)
- Physical appearance only
The application for the OWWA membership, both for renewal and first-time applicants, requires meeting the qualification criteria OWWA has imposed. OWWA members should have active and continuous work and are “documented” or “legal” workers who have completed their employment procedure at POEA with valid work permits and visas. Moreover, the institution accepts OWWA members who acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment.
However, since the qualification for OWWA members is to have active and continuous work, the following individuals are not eligible to apply or renew their OWWA membership, including:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Brunei
As stated on the public advisory post of the Philippine Embassy in Brunei, OFWs are required to book an appointment to enter the premises. They implement the “No Appointment, No Entry in the Embassy” policy for all clients who want to have a transaction due to the increasing cases of Covid-19 in Brunei.
So OFWs who will renew or apply for the OWWA membership have to book an appointment to enter the POLO-OWWA Brunei office. In addition, they only allow clients to enter the office with a confirmed appointment schedule.
Thus, ensure to print or take a screenshot of the booking appointment confirmation and present it to the guard to enter the POLO-OWWA Brunei office.
Step by step how to set up an appointment for OWWA payment
To renew or apply for the OWWA membership in POLO-OWWA Brunei, here are the following steps on how to set up an appointment for OWWA payment:
- Visit the Philippine Embassy in Brunei’s official website at https://bruneipe.dfa.gov.ph/.
- On the right section of the homepage, look for Consular Services and click Online Appointment for Consular Services.
- Once you’re on the online appointment system, select OWWA Membership/General Transaction as the desired service.
- Then, click POLO-OWWA as the Provider.
- Select OWWA Membership/General Transaction on the list of services and click Continue.
- Afterward, choose your preferred time and date on the calendar. You may click the arrow beside the calendar month for more available dates.
- Log in to your email or Facebook account to proceed with booking.
- Fill out the required field, including your name, email, address, city, state, zip code, and click Book. You can also click Book another appointment if you want other transactions.
- Go to your email and take a screenshot or print the booking appointment confirmation.
Paying OWWA Membership at Brunei
After securing an appointment with the POLO-OWWA Brunei office, you will receive a notification via email confirming your booking. So make sure to complete the applicable requirements before heading to the office and arrive early to avoid missing your appointment time.
Once your application is verified, you can pay the OWWA membership fee. Also, the Philippine Embassy in Brunei conducts Consular Services Outreach Mission, where OFWs can apply or renew their OWWA membership and pay the contribution fee.
For more details, check their official Facebook page for the scheduled dates. So to process your OWWA membership application, follow the steps below.
Step by step process of paying the OWWA membership
- Go to the POLO-OWWA Brunei office on the day of your appointment
- Show a copy of your booking appointment confirmation to the guard.
- Wait for your turn and proceed to the OWWA counter to submit your documents for verification.
- If approved, pay the OWWA membership fee and claim the official receipt.
Reminders during the Day of Appointment in OWWA Brunei
When an appointment with POLO-OWWA Brunei is confirmed, here are the reminders to remember to apply or renew your OWWA membership.
- The Philippine Embassy in Brunei strictly implements a “No Appointment, No Entry in the Embassy” policy. So make sure you have a confirmed appointment with POLO-OWWA Brunei and bring a copy of it which will serve as your gate pass to enter the Embassy premises.
- OFWs should arrive on time or earlier in their appointment schedule. If the client can’t make it as scheduled, the Embassy recommends rebooking the appointment as only ten people are allowed to enter at a time.
- Upon entering the Philippine Embassy in Brunei, OFWs should follow the Covid-19 safety checks and protocols. Wearing a face mask at all times and maintaining physical distancing are advised.
- Ensure that your requirements are complete before heading to the POLO-OWWA Brunei office. If the applicant has incomplete requirements, you cannot apply or renew your OWWA membership.
- OFWs visiting the Philippine Embassy in Brunei premises should wear appropriate or smart casual attire as they prohibit wearing sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.’
- Check the Philippine Embassy in Brunei website and Facebook page for the latest announcement.
Video: OWWA Membership in Brunei
For more details on the OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, the OWWA membership fee is payable at OWWA offices by OFWs or their relatives. The video also shows the requirements needed for renewal and new members applying for the OWWA membership. If the OFW renews their membership, their next of kin can process the application at OWWA offices and submit the stated requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please check out these FAQs about the OWWA appointment membership in Brunei office:
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Brunei?
You can book an appointment by visiting the Philippine Embassy in Brunei website or to this link https://bruneipe.setmore.com/bookappointment.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Brunei?
To renew your OWWA membership in Brunei, ensure to comply with the requirements and meet the qualification criteria for OWWA members. Then, book an appointment with the POLO-OWWA Brunei office and submit complete documents to renew your OWWA membership.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Renewing your OWWA membership online is as easy as downloading the OWWA mobile app. Then, sign up and log in to your account. Click Renew Membership Here and choose your preferred payment options. Complete the OWWA membership fee payment to renew your OWWA membership.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Brunei?
The OWWA membership fee in Brunei is exactly US$25.00, or B$35.00 converted to the monthly foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
Yes, you can pay the OWWA membership fee online. To do so, renew your OWWA membership using the OWWA mobile app, and select an online bank or e-wallet as the payment method.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership is only valid for two years, lasting on the date of the application.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership will be inactive if the two-year validity has passed, you have an expired work visa, or changes an employer. Since the two-year membership validity only applies to the same employer indicated in the application.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Yes, the OWWA membership is mandatory for OFWs who are first time working abroad and process their employment at POEA.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
No, not all OFWs are members of OWWA. Other OFWs who cannot comply with the requirements and qualification criteria are not eligible to become OWWA members.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available by registered or active members. Inactive members can also access OWWA benefits but limited services, programs, and support.
To sum up, OFWs in Brunei can choose to renew or apply for the OWWA membership based on the most convenient date and time. They can also let their relatives in the Philippines process the OWWA membership application at OWWA Regional offices or renew it using the OWWA mobile app.
So it is highly encouraged that all OFWs in Brunei apply or renew their OWWA membership to enjoy varying benefits.
Operating Hours: 8:00 am-12:00pm, 1pm-5pm, Mondays to Fridays
Address: Diplomatic Enclave, Jalan Kebangsaan, Simpang 336-17, Bandar Seri Begawan BA2312, Brunei
Telephone Numbers: 2241465, 2241466
Direct Line: 2237052 (Labor), 2225526 (OWWA), 2221173 (SSS)
Labor Hotline: +673-729-1316
OWWA Hotline: +673-729-1315
Facebook Page: https://facebook.com/PHinBrunei/
Google Map Location
Please check out the location guide below of the POLO office in Brunei: