If you’re an OFW in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, it is essential to renew your OWWA membership to access the programs and benefits OWWA provides. Moreover, Filipinos in Calgary who are not yet members of OWWA can process their membership with the POLO Vancouver office as they handle the OWWA membership application for Filipinos in Calgary.
In short, the process of OWWA membership in Calgary is the same in Vancouver, which requires OFWs to send their documents through email. And to help with your application, follow the guide below for the OWWA membership in Calgary, Canada.
The Philippine Government founded the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA), supervised by the government agency Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), established to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their families across the world.
OWWA provides a membership program to OFWs to improve their lives and families and provide protection while working in foreign countries.
OFWs OWWA members can access different programs and services, such as educational and training benefits, financial assistance, loan, and livelihood programs. In addition, the membership ensures OFWs that they have government support in times of crisis or acquire legal assistance when dealing with employer problems.
It also acts as an insurance policy offering OFWs benefits related to disability, medical, calamity, death, and burial. Thus, OFWs should keep their membership active to avail the OWWA benefits.
To apply or renew OWWA membership in Calgary, here are the following requirements OFWs need to secure, including:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment
- Photocopy of Valid Visa and Work Permit
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 (converted to local currency based on foreign exchange rate)
Becoming an OWWA member requires OFWs to meet the qualification criteria set by the institution, whether applying or renewing their membership. Members and applicants of OWWA membership are required to be actively and continuously working with valid work permits and visas. Also, OFWs who obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries with full-time or permanent employment and are still Filipino citizens can apply or renew their OWWA membership.
However, considering the qualification of OWWA that members should be actively and continuously working, the following individuals are not qualified to renew or apply for the OWWA membership, including:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Calgary
At present, OFWs in Calgary don’t need to book an appointment for the OWWA membership application. Furthermore, there is no online booking appointment system for OWWA membership in Vancouver, which handles the membership application of OFWs in Alberta and Saskatchewan.
While the Philippine Consulate General (PCG) Calgary provides an online appointment system for non-passport services, as seen on the announcement on their official website, the OWWA membership application is not available.
Nonetheless, make sure to check their website and Facebook page as the process for application may change.
Applying for OWWA membership in Calgary
OFWs should complete the applicable document and email them to POLO Vancouver for verification.
Keep in mind that this process is temporary, and the online registration is due to the Covid-19 pandemic. So it is ideal checking the PCG Calgary Facebook page and website for the latest announcement.
Paying OWWA Membership at Calgary
After submitting the documents to POLO Vancouver, it will undergo verification, and OFWs are required to go through an evaluation process via video call on their social media account.
If the applicant is qualified, they can proceed with the payment for OWWA membership by following the sent instructions and paying the fee of exactly US$25, converted to CAD$ based on the monthly foreign exchange rate.
On the other hand, OFWs should not pay the membership fee without receiving a notification confirming an approved request for OWWA membership. So to pay the OWWA membership fee to POLO Vancouver, follow the steps below.
Step by step process of paying the OWWA membership
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Complete and scan the necessary documents.
- Send the complete documents to POLO Vancouver email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wait for the scheduled video call via social media account to complete the evaluation process.
- Then, wait for the notification stating that you’re qualified and including the instruction to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- After paying the OWWA membership fee, POLO Vancouver will send an e-copy of the official receipt via email.
Reminders for OFWs in Calgary processing their OWWA membership
Before proceeding with the application, here are some of the reminders OFWs in Calgary need to remember when applying or renewing their OWWA membership, including:
- OFWs in Calgary can process their OWWA membership application with POLO Vancouver. Their office manages the membership application of OFWs in Alberta and Saskatchewan. In addition, the OWWA membership process in Vancouver applies to OFWs in Calgary.
- When submitting your documents to POLO Vancouver email, ensure it is complete, clear, and not blurred.
- The POLO Vancouver requires applicants to undergo an evaluation interview via video call on their social media account.
- Once you qualify for the membership, follow the instruction given by POLO Vancouver to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- For new members, you can access the programs and services and join the activities of OWWA three months after being granted the membership.
- Visit PCG Calgary Facebook page and website for the latest announcements.
Video: OWWA Membership in Calgary
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As seen in the video, OFWs can renew their membership via the OWWA mobile app. There are also varying payment methods available, from bank to payment centers. So the process is very convenient.
The speaker also states that through the OWWA membership, his family was able to seek calamity assistance. Thus, having an active OWWA membership status will come in handy, especially in unforeseen events.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions and answers about the membership process in POLO Calgary:
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Calgary?
OFWs in Calgary do not have to book an appointment to renew their membership, and POLO Vancouver manages their OWWA membership application.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Calgary?
To renew your OWWA membership in Calgary, you need to secure the required documents and scan and submit them to POLO Vancouver email. After your application is verified, you will attend the evaluation via video call on your social media account. If you’re qualified and approved for the OWWA membership, POLO Vancouver will send the instructions to pay the membership fee.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Aside from renewing via POLO Vancouver email, OFWs in Calgary can renew their membership online using the OWWA mobile app. Download and sign up for an account. Next, log in to your account and click Renew Membership Here. Fill out the required fields and choose the most convenient payment method available.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Calgary?
The OWWA membership fee in Calgary is $32.03 or US$25 converted to local currency monthly foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
Yes, you can pay the membership fee online using the OWWA mobile app. To do so, renew your membership in the app and choose an online bank or the e-wallet payment method. You can also ask your relatives in the Philippines to pay the membership fee at the nearest OWWA Regional office or payment centers.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership offers two-year validity, expiring on the date of application.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership turns inactive if the two-year validity has surpassed. In addition, if an OFW has an expired work visa or switches to a new employer without exceeding the validity period, the OWWA membership status will automatically be inactive.
The OWWA membership two-year validity applies only to the same employer indicated in the application. Thus, switching employers or having an expired work visa will result in the OWWA membership becoming inactive.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Yes, OWWA membership is mandatory for OFWs processing their employment at POEA. However, OFWs who acquired a job on a visit visa are not required to apply for the OWWA membership. Instead, they can voluntarily register to become members.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
No, not all OFWs are members of OWWA. As stated above, OWWA has qualification criteria and requires OFWs to secure specific documents. So if an OFW cannot comply with the documents or meet the qualification criteria, such as the undocumented workers, they cannot become members of OWWA.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
The varying benefits OWWA offers are accessible to registered or active members. Inactive members can also access OWWA benefits, but there’s a limitation on which programs and services they can avail.
The OWWA membership application or renewal process in Calgary is similar in Vancouver, sending the documents via email. It is safe and more efficient since OFWs are not required to take a day from their work to apply or renew their OWWA membership.
However, it is still ideal for OFWs to always check the PCG Calgary website and Facebook page to see the latest process for the application. Nonetheless, for OFWs who wish to renew their membership, using the OWWA mobile app is more convenient and no longer requires an evaluation via video call.
POLO Calgary – PCG Calgary
Opening Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm,
Address: Suite 100, 1001 1st Street SE Calgary, AB T2G 5G3
Trunk Line: 1.403.455.9457
- OWWA- email@example.com
- Passport- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Philippine Visa- email@example.com
- Assistance to Nationals- calgarypcg.ATN@gmail.com
- Dual Citizenship Application- calgarypcg.RA9225@gmail.com
- Civil Registration- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cultural Section- email@example.com
- SSS- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Notarization/Legalization of Documents & NBI Form verification- email@example.com