If you want to renew or apply for OWWA membership in East Timor (Timor Leste), you’re in the right spot. This article tackles how to process your OWWA membership in Timor Leste, including the documentary requirements and contact details of relevant offices you may contact for assistance and inquiries. So keep reading as we share an in-depth guide on OWWA membership in Timor Leste.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration is a government agency mandated to promote the welfare and ensure the safety of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their families worldwide founded on May 1, 1997. It’s attached to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), providing OFWs with different benefits by paying an obligatory contribution through the OWWA membership.
This program is catered to OFWs and involves access to varying services and support that benefits their welfare, livelihood, and even their dependent’s education. In addition, the agency assists distressed and maltreated OFWs who are active OWWA members by providing financial and legal aid. The OWWA membership program also acts as OFW’s insurance, ensuring them with medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial benefits. Thus, OFWs in Timor Leste should prioritize renewing or applying voluntarily for OWWA membership.
For OFWs in Timor Leste who wish to process their OWWA membership, you should secure the following primary documentary requirements for evaluation, similar to POLO-OWWA Malaysia and Singapore:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- Certificate of Oath Allegiance for OFWs with dual citizenship
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00
The OWWA membership is one of the most beneficial programs from the Philippine government that provides benefits to OFWs and their dependents that can assist in different areas of their lives. Nonetheless, not all are qualified for OWWA membership since aspiring members should meet the imposed qualification criteria. To qualify as an OWWA member, an OFW should have active and continuous work and is a “legal” or “documented” worker with a valid work permit and visa.
Furthermore, OWWA acknowledges as members OFWs who have acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries, given they remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment. However, the following individuals are not qualified to renew or apply for OWWA membership as they don’t meet the eligibility criteria, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in East Timor (Timor Leste)
As of writing, Timor Leste doesn’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership. This country also doesn’t have a designated POLO. But there are POLO-OWWA offices in Malaysia and Singapore, processing OWWA membership on-site. Thus, OFWs may contact the POLO-OWWA offices in Malaysia and Singapore to book an appointment on the OWWA membership application.
Meanwhile, OFWs may also contact the Philippine Embassy in Dili, Timor Leste, and their agency for inquiries on OWWA membership. But if vacationing in the Philippines, OFWs should book an appointment with DMW or OWWA Regional office or inquire if they accept walk-ins.
Applying for OWWA membership in East Timor (Timor Leste)
Considering there are no relevant details on OWWA membership, OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy in Dili, Timor Leste. In addition, OFWs may refer to the on-site application process for OWWA membership of POLO-OWWA Malaysia and Singapore.
But confirm with their offices if this process applies to OFWs in Timor Leste. If applicable, OFWs can process their OWWA membership on-site, same with DMW or OWWA Regional office if vacationing in the Philippines. Another way to process OWWA membership for OFWs in Timor Leste is via OWWA mobile app, which is the most recommended for convenience.
Paying OWWA Membership in East Timor (Timor Leste)
As stated, confirm if POLO-OWWA Malaysia and Singapore process the OWWA membership of OFWs in Timor Leste. If they do, you can pay the OWWA membership fee on-site the same day if you’re qualified. This process applies if processing with DMW or OWWA Regional offices in the Philippines.
But if processing your OWWA membership via OWWA mobile app, you can pay the contribution fee through an online bank, e-wallet, or over-the-counter payment centers in the Philippines. Also, even if you’re not in the country, you can ask your relatives in the Philippines to pay the contribution fee.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via On-Site OWWA Membership Program (POLO-OWWA Singapore/Malaysia)
- Visit the official website of POLO Singapore or click the OWWA appointment button here. POLO-OWWA Malaysia accepts walk-ins at their office for OWWA membership.
- Print or take a screenshot of the confirmation sent to your email as proof of the confirmed appointment schedule.
- Visit POLO-OWWA Singapore or Malaysia on the day of your appointment.
- Present proof of your appointment if needed.
- Head to the OWWA counter and submit your documentary requirements for evaluation.
- Then, pay the OWWA membership fee and collect your official receipt.
Note that these steps are applicable too if processing with DMW or OWWA Regional office. But don’t forget to contact their office regarding the latest application requirements and if they accept walk-ins.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in East Timor (Timor Leste)
Please take note of the following reminders if process your OWWA membership in Timor Leste:
- As of writing, Timor Leste doesn’t have a designated POLO. The nearest POLO-OWWA offices are in Malaysia and Singapore.
- OFWs in Timor Leste may process their OWWA membership via OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office. Also, you may inquire with POLO-OWWA Malaysia and Singapore if they process OWWA membership for OFWs in Timor Leste.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test took 48 hours from the visit.
- Since there’s no relevant information regarding OWWA membership in Timor Leste, we advise OFWs to contact the Philippine Embassy in Dili and POLO-OWWA offices in Malaysia and Singapore. You may also check their official websites and Facebook pages for the latest updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in East Timor (Timor Leste)?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Timor Leste.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in East Timor (Timor Leste)?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Timor Leste via OWWA mobile app or with POLO-OWWA Malaysia and Singapore.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in East Timor (Timor Leste)?
The OWWA membership fee in Timor Leste is US$25.00.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: MGA DAPAT MATANGGAP NG OFW MULA SA OWWA – ACTIVE OR INACTIVE MEMBERS
Please watch the video below for more information on OWWA membership:
As discussed in the video, there are plenty of programs and privileges for OFWs they can access through the OWWA membership. OFWs can also access varying benefits, whether they’re active or inactive. Therefore, OFWs across the globe should ensure an active OWWA membership.
In summary, OWWA membership is essential for OFWs since this program can assist their livelihood during difficulties. And if you’re having problems processing your OWWA membership, we recommend using the OWWA mobile app. Lastly, we advise OFWs in Timor Leste to contact the relevant offices for inquiries and assistance on the OWWA membership application, as there is limited information online.
Philippine Embassy in Dili, Timor-Leste
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, from Monday to Friday
Address: Rua Gov. Serpa Rosa, Barrio Farol, Dili, Timor-Leste, Timor-Leste
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinTimorLeste
Telephone Number: +670 331 0407
Mobile Hotline: +670 7792 8092
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 1, Jalan Changkat Kia Peng, Kuala Lumpur, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah
Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinMalaysia
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
OWWA Telephone Numbers: +(603) 9202 3756, +(6019) 333 0156
POLO Telephone Numbers: +(603) 2181 7299, +(603) 2161 2222
Operating Hours: 9 am to 4 pm (excluding public holidays)
Address: 20 Nassim Road, Singapore 258395
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/POLOSPORE, https://web.facebook.com/WeloveOWWASingapore
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone Number: +65-6737-3977
Mobile Number: +65-8186-3549