For OFWs in Sweden, renewing your OWWA membership is essential to ensure access to varying OWWA benefits. We also encourage you to apply for OWWA membership to access the OWWA benefits if you’re an OFW in Sweden who has obtained employment via a visit visa. And in this article, we have created an in-depth guide for the available application procedures for OWWA membership in Sweden, so read on.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies confirm OFWs’ legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
Through the OWWA membership program, OFWs and their dependents can access varying services and support that assist their career, education, and living condition. OWWA also help OFWs suffering from conflict with employers by providing them with legal assistance and financial support during difficulties. In addition, varying programs are accessible to active OWWA members, including educational training, scholarships, and livelihood. The OWWA membership also acts as OFW’s insurance, providing them medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encouraged OFWs in Sweden to renew or apply for OWWA membership to enjoy maximum OWWA benefits.
As stated in the provided guideline by the Philippine Embassy in London, here are the following documentary requirements OFWs should comply with for OWWA membership in Sweden:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Copy of bank account salary entries
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- Certificate of Oath and Identification page for OFWs with dual citizenship
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to SEK based on the foreign exchange rate.
With OWWA’s mandate to provide OFWs with necessary benefits, many aspire to apply for OWWA membership. Nonetheless, not everyone can apply for OWWA membership since applicants should meet OWWA’s qualification criteria for members. OWWA requires its members to be actively and continuously working and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas. Moreover, OFWs who acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries but remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment can renew or apply for OWWA membership.
On the other hand, OFWs who don’t meet or maintain the qualification criteria of OWWA are not eligible to apply for or renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Sweden
As of writing, there is no online appointment system for OWWA membership in Sweden, and designated POLO doesn’t exist in this country. But POLO-OWWA London has jurisdiction over Sweden. So OFWs should contact POLO-OWWA London or the Philippine Embassy in Sweden for more details.
For OFWs vacationing in the Philippines, you can also book an appointment with DMW for OWWA membership. In addition, POLO-OWWA London often conducts a Consular Outreach Mission. So OFWs who wish to apply on-site should contact them on their Facebook page or via email to schedule an appointment.
Applying for OWWA Membership in Sweden
Based on the available details online, OFWs in Sweden can apply for OWWA membership by sending scanned copies of their documentary requirements to POLO-OWWA London email. The Philippine Embassy and POLO-OWWA London also conduct a Consular Outreach Mission where OFWs can renew or apply for OWWA membership.
However, since there is little information about OWWA membership on their official website and Facebook page, OFWs should contact their offices directly. Also, the details online may not be updated, so it is ideal to contact their offices.
Aside from applying via email, OFWs can renew their OWWA membership online using the OWWA mobile app, which is more convenient and efficient. If you’re vacationing in the Philippines, you can also apply at DMW. But ensure to secure the requirements for OWWA membership before returning to the Philippines, especially documents only available at your job site.
Paying OWWA Membership in Sweden
OFWs in Sweden currently have two options to process OWWA membership, via email or OWWA mobile app. If applying via email, you should secure and scan your requirements and send them to POLO-OWWA London. Then, if you’re qualified, you can pay the OWWA membership based on the instruction for OFWs in Sweden.
However, if you opt to renew your membership through the OWWA mobile app, you can pay it on online banking or an e-wallet. If any of the two isn’t available, you can select payment centers. Then, ask your relative in the Philippines to pay the OWWA membership fee. To do so, follow the steps below:
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via Email/Facebook Page
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Scan the documentary requirements for OWWA membership.
- Next, send the scanned documents to POLO-OWWA London email at email@example.com or their Facebook page for evaluation.
- Wait for an email from POLO-OWWA London regarding your application for OWWA membership.
- Once qualified, follow the payment transaction for the OWWA membership fee sent via email or inquire at the POLO-OWWA London Facebook page.
- Take a screenshot of the successful payment transaction.
- Send the screenshot to the POLO-OWWA London email or Facebook page.
- Then, you’ll receive an electronic copy of your official receipt. You can also book an appointment to claim your official receipt at the Philippine Embassy in London.
Note: POLO-OWWA London announced that their email firstname.lastname@example.org is currently unavailable. So OFWs residing in countries under their jurisdiction should send their inquiries or requirements for OWWA membership application to email@example.com.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Sweden
If you’re renewing or applying for the first time for OWWA membership in Sweden, please take note of the following reminders:
- As of writing, Sweden doesn’t have a designated POLO. So POLO-OWWA London has jurisdiction over Sweden, providing them with labor-related services and concerns.
- OFWs in Sweden can process their OWWA membership by sending their requirements to the POLO-OWWA London email or Facebook page and downloading the OWWA mobile app.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It’s strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers. If the applicants do so, they cannot enter the premise despite a confirmed appointment.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test took 48 hours from the visit.
- OFWs who wish to claim their official receipt at the Philippine Embassy in London should book an appointment in advance.
- Since the information online isn’t updated, we advise OFWs to contact the Philippine Embassy in Sweden and POLO-OWWA London for more details. You can also check their website and Facebook pages for the latest announcements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Sweden?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Sweden.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Sweden?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Sweden through POLO-OWWA London email/Facebook page or OWWA mobile app.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Sweden?
The OWWA membership fee in Sweden is US$25.00 converted to SEK based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: Social Benefits for OWWA Members and Dependents
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, OWWA membership entitles OFWs and their dependents to social benefits involving education, health, finances, and more. So all qualified OFWs are encouraged to apply for OWWA membership or keep it active.
With this guide, we hope that OFWs in Sweden can successfully renew or apply for OWWA membership. We also advise contacting the Philippine Embassy in Sweden and POLO-OWWA London for the latest and more detailed procedures.
For busy OFWs, you can also renew your OWWA membership through the OWWA mobile app.
Philippine Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: GRENSTIGEN 2A 181 31 LIDINGÖ, Stockholm, Sweden
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100083358220287
Telephone Number: +46 70 847 47 80
Philippine Embassy in London, United Kingdom
Operating Hours: 9:30 am – 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 6-11 Suffolk Street, London SW1Y 4HG
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHLinUK
Emergency Hotline: (+44) 78 0279 0695
Address: 3F, 6 Suffolk Street, London SW1Y 4HG
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/POLOOWWALONDON
Telephone Number: (+44) 20 7839 8078
Fax: (+44) 20 7839 7345