Do you have an expired OWWA membership and wondering how to process it in Myanmar? If you answered yes, search no further, as we got your back. This article contains the documentary requirements and application process for OWWA membership in Myanmar. We also listed the contact details of relevant offices that can help you. So if you’re renewing your OWWA membership or are not yet a member, read on to learn how to process your OWWA membership in Myanmar.
But first things first, what is the function of OWWA? The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency attached to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE). Its mandate is to ensure the safety and welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents with the help of the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO).
Moreover, OWWA provides a membership program to OFWs, ensuring access to different supports and services based on their varying needs, from livelihood, health, and education. OWWA’s active members can also seek financial and legal assistance if they have employer issues or lay off from their job. Most importantly, it acts as OFWs’ insurance that includes varying benefits, such as medical, disability, and calamity. For this reason, we recommend OFWs in Myanmar with expired memberships or who are not yet members prioritize their OWWA membership.
If you wish to renew or apply for OWWA membership in Myanmar, here are the primary documentary requirements you should secure for the application:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Original and copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of the Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to MMK based on the foreign exchange rate.
With the different benefits OWWA offers, OFWs and their dependents can enjoy programs and services that suit their needs and interest. But despite the agency’s mandate, not all OFWs can become members since OWWA has qualification criteria that should be met and maintained. OFWs qualify as OWWA members if they have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas.
Apart from that, OFWs who have acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries qualify as OWWA members. But they must remain Filipino citizens and have full-time or permanent employment. On the contrary, OFWs who don’t meet any of the criteria are not qualified for OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Myanmar
As of writing, Myanmar doesn’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership. This country also doesn’t have a designated POLO. But the Philippine Embassy in Myanmar conducts a Consular Outreach Mission, which may require an appointment.
On the other hand, the details online are outdated, and it’s unclear if they offer labor-related services, including on-site OWWA membership registration. Thus, OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy in Myanmar for inquiries and more information.
Aside from the Consular Outreach Mission, OFWs vacationing in the Philippines may book an appointment for OWWA membership with the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or OWWA Regional office. OFWs in Myanmar may also contact the nearest POLO in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, for assistance with the OWWA membership application.
Applying for OWWA membership in Myanmar
According to a Facebook post of the Philippine Embassy in Myanmar, they conduct a Consular Outreach Mission, where the on-site OWWA membership is often processed. But since the post is already outdated and there is no relevant information regarding OWWA membership, we advise OFWs to inquire directly with the Philippine Embassy in Myanmar. Also, for those vacationing in the Philippines, you may process your OWWA membership on-site at DMW or OWWA Regional office.
Meanwhile, the nearest POLO from Myanmar is in Malaysia. They also process the OWWA membership of OFWs in Thailand via email. So you may contact POLO Malaysia if this process also applies to OFWs in Myanmar since it’s unclear if this country is under their jurisdiction. Lastly, the OWWA mobile app is the easiest way to renew your OWWA membership. Download the app, fill out the online form, and pay the contribution fee.
Paying OWWA Membership in Myanmar
Considering there is no relevant detail online regarding OWWA membership in Myanmar, we recommend you contact the Philippine Embassy in Yangon. Confirm if their office offers on-site OWWA membership at their Consular Outreach Mission and secure an appointment. Also, don’t forget to inquire regarding the latest documentary requirements. Once on-site, you can pay the contribution fee similar to DMW or OWWA Regional office.
However, if you’re looking for the easiest way to process your OWWA membership, download the OWWA mobile app on your device. By using this app, you can renew your OWWA membership anytime. This app offers different payment options, like an online bank, e-wallet, and over-the-counter payment centers in the Philippines. Additionally, the OWWA membership fee is payable at OWWA Regional office. You can even ask your relatives to pay for it if you’re not in the Philippines.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via Consular Outreach Mission (Philippine Embassy in Myanmar)
- Contact the Philippine Embassy in Myanmar regarding the Consular Outreach Mission.
- Book an on-site for on-site OWWA membership registration and renewal.
- Secure the necessary documentary requirements.
- Print or take a screenshot of the confirmed appointment schedule sent to your email.
- Head to the designated application site on the day of your appointment.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and claim the official receipt of your payment.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Myanmar
To ensure a smooth application process for your OWWA membership in Myanmar, please take note of the following reminders.
- As of writing, there is no designated POLO in Myanmar, and the nearest office is at POLO Malaysia.
- OFWs in Myanmar may process their OWWA membership through OWWA mobile app, DMW, OWWA Regional office, or Consular Outreach Mission conducted by the Philippine Embassy in Yangon.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. Wearing sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers are strictly prohibited.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours from the visit.
- Due to the outdated information about OWWA membership, we recommend OFWs in Myanmar contact the Philippine Embassy in Yangon, POLO Malaysia, and their agency for assistance. You may also visit their Facebook pages and websites for the latest updates.
Video: MADALING PARAAN KUNG PAANO I-VERIFY KUNG ACTIVE PARIN ANG INYONG OWWA MEMBERSHIP, OWWA MOBILE APP
For more information on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As stated in the video, OFWs can check their membership status on the OWWA mobile app, whether active or inactive. To check, all you have to do is log in to your account. If you don’t have an account, you can sign up for one. Using the OWWA mobile app, you can renew your OWWA membership and request access to services. So this app makes it easier to process OWWA membership.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Myanmar?
As of writing, an online appointment system for OWWA membership isn’t available in Myanmar.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Myanmar?
OFWs in Myanmar may renew their OWWA membership via OWWA mobile app, DMW, OWWA Regional office, and Consular Outreach Mission.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Myanmar?
The OWWA membership fee in Myanmar is US$25.00 converted to MMK based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online on OWWA mobile app via an online bank or e-wallet.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
To sum up, keeping an active OWWA membership will benefit OFWs and their dependents, especially if they have financial, educational, and health issues. So if you’re a new OFW or returning to your job site, ensure that your OWWA membership is active. Also, we advise OFWs in Myanmar to contact the relevant offices for the latest requirements and application process since there’s limited information online.
Philippine Embassy in Yangon, Myanmar
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: No. 21 Pho Sein Road, Bahan Township Yangon, Myanmar, 11201
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinMyanmar
Telephone Number: +(95) (1) 558 152
POLO-OWWA in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 1, Jalan Changkat Kia Peng, Kuala Lumpur, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinMalaysia
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
OWWA Telephone Numbers: +(603) 9202 3756, +(6019) 333 0156
POLO Telephone Numbers: +(603) 2181 7299, +(603) 2161 2222