For OFWs in Libya who haven’t renewed their OWWA membership, we recommend updating your membership status to ensure access to varying and long-term OWWA benefits. We also encourage OFWs in Libya who have acquired employment through a visit visa to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership. And to help you with the process, we’ve created an in-depth guide for OWWA membership in Libya. We also added the contact details of relevant offices, so read on.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies confirm OFWs’ legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
The OWWA membership offers different services, programs, and support that can improve the lives of OFWs and their dependents. By becoming an OWWA member, you can also seek legal assistance for employer conflicts and financial aid in times of difficulty. Furthermore, active OWWA members can access varying programs from scholarship to livelihood. It also acts as OFW’s insurance providing them medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encourage OFWs in Libya to renew or apply for OWWA membership to access maximum OWWA benefits.
As stated on a Facebook post of MWO, Rabat, Morocco, here are the following documentary requirements for OWWA membership for countries under their jurisdiction, including Libya:
- Contract with POLO template or Contract du travail (translated in English) and French should be legal or with mokataa (You may request the POLO template from firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com)
- Bring the original and photocopy of the following for comparison:
- Passport and bio-page
- Employer’s ID (photocopy only)
- Certificate of Employment (request template from firstname.lastname@example.org) for household, skilled or professional workers employed by a company
- Moroccan national ID or la carte
- If la carte is not available, you may present proof of remittance from the bank, remittance company with a relative, or next of kin recipient or beneficiary.
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to LYD based on the foreign exchange rate.
With all the benefits OWWA offers, many OFWs wish to become OWWA members. However, not all OFWs are qualified for OWWA membership since they need to meet and maintain the qualification criteria of OWWA. OFWs should have active and continuous work with valid work permits and visas to qualify as OWWA members.
In addition, OFWs who have obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment can apply as OWWA members.
On the contrary, OFWs who cannot meet and maintain OWWA’s qualification criteria are not eligible to apply for or even renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Libya
As of writing, there is no online appointment system for OWWA membership in Libya. But there is a designated POLO in Tripoli, Libya. So OFWs may contact the Philippine Embassy and POLO-OWWA Libya for inquiries. You can also secure an appointment through the Facebook page of the Philippine Embassy in Libya.
Click the Book Now button, select Notarial and Authentication Services, and tap Continue. Next, pick a date and time for your appointment. Enter OWWA Appointment on the Appointment notes section and click Request Appointment. Then, wait for confirmation from the Embassy about your booked appointment.
Moreover, since POLO Rabat, Morocco has oversight jurisdiction over Libya, OFWs may contact their office for inquiries. You can also book an appointment for OWWA membership through their Facebook page, email at https://polorabat.dole.gov.ph/, or call them at +212-660764577.
But if vacationing in the Philippines, you can book an appointment with DMW or OWWA Regional office for OWWA membership. Your relatives or next of kin may also process your OWWA membership but ensure to secure the additional requirements.
Applying for OWWA Membership in Libya
Although there is a POLO office in Tripoli, there is no relevant detail regarding OWWA membership in Libya. Also, since the POLO Libya office is near the Philippine Embassy, they might offer an on-site OWWA membership registration or renewal. But it’s not confirmed, so contact the relevant offices for clarification.
Nonetheless, you may contact POLO Rabat, Morocco, and inquire if OFWs in Libya can process OWWA membership on-site at their office. Lastly, you can renew your membership through the OWWA mobile app is recommended since it’s more convenient.
Paying OWWA Membership in Libya
Due to the limited information about OWWA membership in Libya, OFWs should contact the POLO-OWWA offices in Tripoli and Rabat before booking an appointment for on-site OWWA membership registration. Then, you can pay the contribution fee on-site and the same if processing with DMW or OWWA Regional offices.
For those who choose to renew their membership via OWWA mobile app, you can pay the contribution fee through an online bank, e-wallet, or payment centers in the Philippines. If you’re not in the Philippines, you can ask your relatives to pay the OWWA membership fee.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via POLO-OWWA (On-Site in Libya/Morocco)
- Contact the POLO-OWWA offices in Tripoli, Libya, or Rabat, Morocco.
- Book an appointment for OWWA membership.
- Print a copy of your confirmed appointment and secure the documentary requirements.
- Visit the POLO-OWWA office on the day of your appointment.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and collect the official receipt.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Libya
Please take note of the following reminders for OWWA membership in Libya:
- As of writing, Libya doesn’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership. But Libya has a POLO office in Tripoli and is under the oversight jurisdiction of POLO Rabat, Morocco.
- OFWs in Libya may process their OWWA membership on-site at POLO, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test took 48 hours from the visit.
- Considering the limited information about OWWA membership in Libya, we advise OFWs to contact the Philippine Embassy and POLO office in Tripoli and POLO Rabat. You may also visit their official websites and Facebook page for the latest updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Libya?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Libya.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Libya?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Libya through the POLO office, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Libya?
The OWWA membership fee in Libya is US$25.00 converted to LYD based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: OWWA Mobile App: How To Check Membership Status, Renewal, Benefits, Programs, and Services.
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, OFWs worldwide can renew their OWWA membership through the OWWA mobile app. Under this app, OFWs can also check their OWWA membership status. Registration is compulsory for first-time OFWs, while voluntary registration is for those in foreign countries.
To sum up, OFWs in Libya shouldn’t have worries about keeping their OWWA membership active since the POLO office and the Philippine Embassy can help them with the process.
You can also renew your membership through the OWWA mobile app or contact your agency for assistance. Most importantly, don’t forget to contact the relevant offices to ensure the latest application requirements and procedures for OWWA membership in Libya.
Philippine Embassy in Tripoli, Libya
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Sunday to Thursday
Address: East Janzour Tripoli, Libya
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinLibya
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone Number: +218 94-4541283
POLO Hotline: +218-917-102-382
POLO-OWWA Rabat, Morocco
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm, Monday to Friday (Thursday at the Honorary Consulate-Casablanca)
Address: #1 Avenue Al Arz, Block 1 Sector 8, Hay Riyad, Rabat, Morocco 10100
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/polo.rabat21
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone Number: +212-808568852
OWWA Membership: +212-660764577