For OFWs in Mexico, you should prioritize renewing your OWWA membership once it expires to ensure access to OWWA benefits. We also encourage OFWs in Mexico who have obtained employment through a visit visa to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership. So if you wish to update your membership status, read our in-depth guide for OWWA membership in Mexico.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies confirm OFWs’ legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
The membership program OWWA offers its members includes beneficial services and supports that aims to better the living condition, education, and career of OFWs and their dependents.
In addition, the agency provides legal assistance to OFWs suffering conflict with their employers and financial aid during calamities. Active OWWA members can also access varying programs, from livelihood to scholarships.
Additionally, the OWWA membership serves as insurance for OFWs, providing them with medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encourage OFWs in Mexico to renew or apply for OWWA membership to enjoy maximum benefits.
If you’re renewing or applying for OWWA membership, here are the following documentary requirements for OWWA membership according to POLO Washington, DC:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- Certificate of Oath and Identification page for OFWs with dual citizenship
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to MXN based on the foreign exchange rate
- If via POLO Washington DC mail, include a self-addressed, stamped, or prepaid return envelope.
Remember, we advised you to contact the Philippine Embassy in Mexico and the Philippine Consulates in Guadalajara and Monterrey for the latest documentary requirements for OWWA membership.
Since OWWA provide beneficial programs, services, and support for its members and their dependents, many OFWs wish to become active OWWA members. However, not everyone can become OWWA members to ensure that the benefits granted are fair. So OWWA requires its members to have active and continuous employment and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas.
Moreover, OFWs who have acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment can apply for OWWA membership. Nonetheless, the following individuals cannot apply for or renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Mexico
As of writing, an online appointment system for OWWA membership doesn’t exist in Mexico, and there is no designated POLO in this country. But if you wish to process your OWWA membership in Mexico, the nearest POLO you can contact is located in Los Angeles and Washington, DC.
You may also contact the Philippine Embassy in Mexico and the Philippine Consulates in Guadalajara and Monterrey for more details. However, you may need to book an appointment to process your membership on-site at POLO Los Angeles and Washington, DC, or through Consular Outreach Mission. In addition, OFWs vacationing in the Philippines should also book an appointment with DMW or the nearest OWWA Regional office.
Applying for OWWA Membership in Mexico
Due to the limited details online, OFWs in Mexico may only refer to the application procedure offered by POLO Los Angeles and Washington, DC. POLO Los Angeles offers on-site applications on their premise and through Consular Outreach Mission.
On the other hand, POLO Washington, DC, offers on-site OWWA membership applications at their premise and via regular mail and email. You can also process your membership using the OWWA mobile app, which is the most convenient way to renew your OWWA membership.
Paying OWWA Membership in Mexico
Since Mexico doesn’t have a designated POLO and the details online regarding OWWA membership are limited, OFWs may refer to POLO Los Angeles and Washington, DC. The OWWA membership fee is payable on-site if applying through Consular Outreach Mission or at POLO.
Also, for those who opt to process through email and regular mail, follow the payment procedure from POLO Washington, DC. Just ensure that your requirements are correct and complete before submitting them. On the contrary, paying the OWWA membership fee with OWWA mobile app is more convenient. You can pay through an online bank, e-wallet, or over-the-counter payment centers.
But note that it’s unclear if the application process via email, regular mail, on-site OWWA membership enrolment, and Consular Outreach Mission is applicable for OFWs in Mexico. So it’s ideal to contact the relevant offices to confirm if the below procedures exist or apply to OFWs in Mexico.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via Email (POLO Washington, DC)
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Complete and scan the requirements.
- Email your requirements to email@example.com.
- Once verified, follow the instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee sent to your email.
- Take a screenshot of the OWWA membership fee payment receipt, and send it to OWWA’s email.
- Then, you’ll receive an email e-copy of your official receipt. Also, you can claim the original official receipt by booking an appointment with OWWA through email.
Via Regular Mail (POLO Washington, DC)
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Secure and photocopy the requirements.
- Add a self-addressed, stamped, and prepaid on the return envelope.
- Mail your requirements to the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), Embassy of the Philippines, 1600 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington DC, 20036.
Via On-Site OWWA Membership Enrolment/Consular Outreach Mission (POLO Los Angeles/Washington, DC)
- Contact POLO California or Washington DC to book an appointment for On-Site OWWA Membership Enrolment. You may also inquire and book an OWWA appointment if they conduct a Consular Outreach Mission in Mexico.
- After booking an appointment, secure the documentary requirements for OWWA membership.
- Next, proceed to the designated application site and present proof of confirmed appointment.
- Head to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and collect the official receipt.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Mexico
Please keep in mind the following reminders for OWWA membership in Mexico:
- As of writing, Mexico doesn’t have a designated POLO, and an online appointment for OWWA membership isn’t available.
- OFWs in Mexico may process their OWWA membership via email, regular mail, OWWA mobile app, on-site at POLO, or Consular Outreach Mission.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours from the visit.
- We advise OFWs to contact the Philippine Embassy in Mexico and the Philippine Consulates in Guadalajara and Monterrey for more details. You may also contact POLO Los Angeles and Washington, DC, or visit their official websites and Facebook pages for the latest updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Mexico?
As of writing, Mexico doesn’t have an online OWWA appointment.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Mexico?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Mexico through email, regular mail, OWWA mobile app, on-site at POLO, or Consular Outreach Mission.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Mexico?
The OWWA membership fee in Mexico is US$25.00 converted to MXN based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: ETO ANG HAHANAPIN SA OWWA KAPAG NAG RENEW KA NG MEMBERSHIP
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, becoming an OWWA member provides OFWs protection or insurance while working abroad, which includes social benefits. You can also check your membership status at OWWA offices in the Philippines or contact the nearest POLO in your area to book an appointment for OWWA membership.
To sum up, OFWs in Mexico should contact the relevant offices before applying for OWWA membership since there is limited detail online. Don’t forget to inquire about the latest procedure applicable for OFWs in Mexico and the documentary requirements for OWWA membership.
You also have the option to process your membership via OWWA mobile app or contact your agency for assistance.
Philippine Embassy in Mexico, Mexico
Operating Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Avenida Thiers 111 (Cuvier 55), Col. Anzures, Del. Miguel Hidalgo, Mexico City, Mexico
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinMexico
Telephone Number: +52 55 5131 8225
Fax: +52 55 5131 8268
Emergency Hotline: +52 55 2771 3776
Philippine Honorary Consulate in Guadalajara, Mexico
Address: Pablo Villasenor #80, Col. Ladron de Guevara 44600 Guadalajara, Jalisco
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone: (+52-33) 3630-0312
Mobile: (52-33) 3662-6532
Philippine Honorary Consulate in Monterrey, Mexico
Address: Mision San Patricio 106, San Pedro Garza Garcia, 66270 Monterrey, Nuevo Leon
Telephone: (+52-81) 8363-3716
Mobile: (+52-81) 8020-4039
POLO-OWWA in Los Angeles, California
Address: Philippine Consulate General Los Angeles, 3435 Wilshire Blvd Suite 3040, Los Angeles, CA, 90010
Facebook pages: Philippine Overseas Labor Office – Los Angeles, https://web.facebook.com/PHLinLA
Hotline: (213) 944-2599
Office Phone: (213) 223-1120
POLO Washington, DC
Address: 1600 Massachusetts Ave, N.W. Washington DC 20036
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064785936453
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone Number: +1 (202)-467-9426