All Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) in Washington, DC, USA, are encouraged to renew their OWWA membership once it expires to ensure access to OWWA services and programs that the institutions offer to its registered members.
In addition, Filipinos who acquired employment via a visit visa in Washington, DC, should voluntarily apply for the OWWA membership to enjoy varying benefits. So whether you’re renewing or a first-time applicant, you can process your OWWA membership application with the POLO Washington DC office.
And if you’re wondering about the process for OWWA membership in Washington, DC, USA, follow the guide below.
Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) struggle to ensure they are safe while working in foreign countries. While some OFWs get lucky with their employers, others suffer from maltreatment.
That’s why the Philippine Government launched the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA), an agency working with the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), which is mandated to promote and protect the welfare of OFWs and their dependents across the world.
OWWA offers a membership program to OFWs packed with varying services and supports, assisting them with their lives and careers.
Moreover, the OWWA membership comes in handy for OFWs, supporting them in times of difficulty. OFWs can acquire legal assistance if they have employer issues or Covid-19 support such as quarantine facility, transportation, and financial aid.
Beneficial services are also accessible by registered members, including educational and training benefits, livelihood programs, loans, scholarships for legal dependents, repatriation, and reintegration benefits.
Aside from that, it serves as an insurance policy, enabling support for calamity, medical, disability, death, and burial. Thus, OWWA membership is beneficial for OFWs, which can assist them from pre-employment to stabilizing their life back in the country. So keeping an active OWWA membership is essential for all OFWs in Washington, DC, USA.
To become an OWWA member in Washington, DC, USA, here are the following requirements you must comply with, both for renewal and first-time applicant:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment
- Photocopy of Valid Visa and Work Permit
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 payable to “OWWA” via non-cash payment at US Money Order or Bank Draft, and paying through personnel check or credit/debit card is not accepted.
The primary function of OWWA is to promote and protect the welfare of OFWs and their families. However, OWWA ensures that the right individuals benefit from their services, programs, and support by imposing qualification criteria for its members.
OWWA requires its members to have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” worker with valid work permits and visas. Additionally, OFWs who have acquired a permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment are qualified for the OWWA membership.
On the contrary, since OWWA members should be actively and continuously working, the following individuals cannot apply or renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Washington, DC, USA
As of writing, POLO Washington, DC, doesn’t have an appointment for OWWA membership applications. So if they’re open for on-site applicants, OFWs can directly head to the POLO-OWWA Washington, DC, office.
However, the process may change depending on the Covid-19 situation. Thus, it is ideal to check the official website and Facebook page of POLO Washington, DC, USA.
Applying for OWWA membership in Washington, DC, USA
For OFWs in Washington, DC, USA, there are many ways you can apply for or renew your OWWA membership. The most convenient option is via email, and another is via regular mail.
The POLO-OWWA Washington, DC office also conducts on-site application and Consular Outreach with the Embassy. So better check their Facebook page and website for the scheduled location.
Paying OWWA Membership in Washington, DC, USA
Since there is no need to book an appointment with the POLO office in Washington, DC, OFWs can visit directly to process their OWWA membership if an on-site application is permitted.
After submitting your complete documents, you can pay the OWWA membership fee on-site.
Also, the payment process for the OWWA membership fee differs if you apply via email or regular mail. So to pay the OWWA membership fee, follow the steps below.
Step by step process of paying the OWWA membership
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Complete and scan the requirements.
- Email your requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If your application is verified, follow the instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee sent to your email.
- Take a screenshot of the OWWA membership fee payment receipt and send it to OWWA’s email.
- Afterward, you’ll receive an email e-copy of your official receipt.
- To claim the original official receipt, email OWWA before your visit to set an appointment for pick up.
Via On-Site Application
- Visit the POLO-OWWA office and notify the guard of your transaction.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter to submit the application documents for verification.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Claim your official OWWA payment receipt.
Via Regular Mail
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Secure and photocopy the requirements.
- Ensure that the documents are complete.
- Include self-addressed, stamped, and prepaid on the return envelope.
- Mail your requirements to the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), Embassy of the Philippines, 1600 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington DC, 20036.
Reminders with OWWA Washington, DC, USA
Please take note of the following reminders to ensure a successful OWWA membership application with OWWA Washington, DC.
- Ensure that your requirements are complete and correct, or you can’t proceed with the application for OWWA membership.
- OWWA Washington, DC, only accepts non-cash payments via US Money Order or Bank Draft payable to “OWWA”.
- Personnel checks or credit/debit card payments are not accepted.
- New OWWA members can access regular activities, services, and special programs three months after acquiring the OWWA membership.
- Check the Facebook page and website of the Embassy and POLO Washington, DC, for the latest updates.
Video: OWWA Membership in Washington, DC, USA
For more details on the OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As seen in the video, OFWs can download the OWWA mobile app, where they can check if their membership status is active or inactive. OFWs can also renew their OWWA membership in the app and update their personal information. Thus, the OWWA mobile app makes the membership application convenient for all OFWs across the globe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Plase check out the following answers to common questions about POLO office in Washington D.C.:
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Washington, DC, USA?
As of now, there is no appointment needed for the OWWA membership application in Washington, DC, USA. So OFWs can visit the office directly if an on-site application is permitted.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Washington, DC, USA?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Washington, DC, via email or regular mail. Complete the documents and email or mail them to OWWA. Then, pay the contribution fee to renew your OWWA membership.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
You can renew your OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app. Log in to your account and click Renew Membership Here if your status is inactive. Then, choose your preferred payment method and pay the OWWA membership fee.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Washington, DC, USA?
The OWWA membership in Washington, DC, is exactly US$25.00.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
Yes, you can pay the OWWA membership fee online. Renew your OWWA membership in the app and select an over-the-counter-payment method. Then, pay the OWWA membership fee via e-wallet or online bank.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership is only valid for two years, expiring on the date of application.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
Your OWWA membership will be inactive if you have surpassed the two-year validity. Also, if you have an expired work visa or change employers in less than two years, your OWWA membership will become inactive. Since the OWWA membership validity period only applies to the same employer indicated during the application.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Yes, OWWA membership is mandatory for first-time OFWs and has processed their employment with POEA.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
No, not all OFW are members of OWWA. As stated above, OWWA members need to submit specific documents and meet the qualification criteria to be eligible for the OWWA membership. So if an OFW is undocumented or doesn’t have continuous work, they are not qualified to become OWWA members.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
The benefits of OWWA are accessible by active or registered members. Inactive OWWA members can also access OWWA benefits but are limited.
Overall, OFWs in Washington, DC, USA, should apply or renew their OWWA membership to enjoy different benefits from OWWA. There are also have varying options for the application process or renewing their OWWA membership using the OWWA mobile app.
OFWs can also let their relatives pay the OWWA membership fee at the nearest OWWA Regional offices or payment centers if they are not in the Philippines. So ensuring an active OWWA membership for OFWs is made convenient.
OWWA Washington, DC, USA
Operating Hours: 8:00 am -5:00 pm, Monday-Friday (except holidays)
Address: 1600 Massachusetts Ave., N.W. Washington, D.C 20036
Telephone Numbers: +1 (202)-467-9426
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Facebook pages: https://www.facebook.com/POLO-Washington-DC-1730811803835481, https://web.facebook.com/polo.wdc, https://web.facebook.com/PHinUSA/
Google Map Location
Please check out the POLO Washington DC, United States office map guide below: