If your OWWA membership is about to expire and you wish to renew it in Bangladesh, we’re here to help you out. This article is an in-depth guide to the OWWA membership application process. We also got a list of the documentary requirements you should secure and the contact details of relevant offices that can assist you with the application. So if you’re not yet an OWWA member or renewing your OWWA membership, keep reading to learn how to process the OWWA membership in Bangladesh.
Before we proceed with the steps, let’s first discuss the function of OWWA. The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency in charge of ensuring the safety and promoting the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. OWWA is also attached to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), ensuring that OFWs have legal employment abroad.
In addition, the membership program OWWA provides to OFWs includes varying services and support that benefit their education, health, and livelihood. Active OWWA members can also request assistance during difficult times, such as financial or employment issues. In particular, the OWWA membership serves as OFW’s insurance, assisting them in medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial. With that said, we encourage new and old OFWs to ensure an active OWWA membership.
Whether you’re renewing or applying for the first time for OWWA membership in Bangladesh, here are the following documentary requirements you should secure for the evaluation:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Original and copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of the Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to BDT based on the foreign exchange rate.
Since OWWA provide varying benefits to its members and their dependents, many OFWs wish to become OWWA member. However, not everyone is qualified for membership due to the imposed qualification criteria by OWWA. OFWs can only become OWWA members if they have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas.
Aside from that, OWWA accepts as members OFWs who have permanent residency status in foreign countries, given that they remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment. Nonetheless, OFWs who don’t meet the said qualification criteria are not eligible to apply as OWWA members or even renew their membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Bangladesh
At the time of writing, an online appointment system for OWWA membership in Bangladesh doesn’t exist, and this country doesn’t have a designated POLO. Meanwhile, the Philippine Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, conducts Consular Outreach Mission. But it’s unclear if they process OWWA membership on-site. So we advised OFWs in Bangladesh to contact the Philippine Embassy in Dhaka for more details.
In addition, the nearest POLO from Bangladesh is in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. However, it’s uncertain if Bangladesh is under their jurisdiction. Thus, we can only advise OFWs to contact the said office. For OFWs vacationing in the Philippines, you may also contact DMW or OWWA Regional office to book an appointment for OWWA membership.
Applying for OWWA membership in Bangladesh
Based on a Facebook post of the Philippine Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, they conduct a Consular Outreach Mission, where labor-related services are often processed. But the on-site OWWA membership registration and renewal are not mentioned. There is also no relevant information regarding OWWA membership in Bangladesh. So OFWs in Bangladesh should inquire directly with the Embassy.
Also, you can process your OWWA membership on-site at DMW or OWWA Regional office if you’re vacationing in the Philippines. On the other hand, the nearest POLO from Bangladesh, POLO Malaysia, processes OWWA membership via email and on-site. Thus, you may contact their office to confirm their jurisdiction over OFWs in Bangladesh. Lastly, the OWWA mobile app1 is the most convenient way to process your OWWA membership.
Paying OWWA Membership in Bangladesh
OFWs in Bangladesh have two ways to pay the OWWA membership fee, through on-site or online application. If you prefer on-site, you may contact the Philippine Embassy in Bangladesh regarding the Consular Outreach Mission and DMW or OWWA Regional office if you’re vacationing in the Philippines.
But if you choose to process your OWWA membership online, download the OWWA mobile app. Fill out the application form online and pay the OWWA membership fee via an online bank, e-wallet, or over-the-counter payment center in the Philippines. If you’re not in the country, you can ask your relatives to pay the OWWA membership fee at payment centers or OWWA Regional office.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via Consular Outreach Mission (Philippine Embassy in Bangladesh)
- Contact the Philippine Embassy in Bangladesh.
- Book an appointment for on-site OWWA membership registration and renewal.
- Print or take a screenshot of the confirmed appointment schedule sent to your email.
- Complete the documentary requirements for application.
- Visit the designated application site on the day of your appointment.
- Submit your documentary requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and claim the official receipt of your payment.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Bangladesh
Please take note of the following reminders to process your OWWA membership in Bangladesh:
- As of writing, Bangladesh doesn’t have a designated POLO. The nearest office that can assist OFWs is at POLO Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- OFWs in Bangladesh may process their OWWA membership via Consular Outreach Mission conducted by the Philippine Embassy in Dhaka, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. Applicants wearing strictly prohibited outfits, such as sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers, won’t be given entry.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test took 48 hours from the visit.
- OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy in Bangladesh, POLO Malaysia, and their agency for assistance on the OWWA membership application. Also, you may visit their official Facebook pages and websites for the latest announcements.
Video: How To Apply OWWA Scholarship For OFW’s Dependent || Dad’s infoTV
For more information on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As stated in the video, OWWA members can apply for a scholarship for their dependents. The application only requires an interview, requirements, and active OWWA membership. Thus, the OWWA membership will benefit OFWs and their dependents who are still studying.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Bangladesh?
As of writing, an online appointment system for OWWA membership in Bangladesh isn’t available.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Bangladesh?
OFWs in Bangladesh may renew their OWWA membership through Consular Outreach Mission, DMW, OWWA Regional office, and OWWA mobile app.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Bangladesh?
The OWWA membership fee in Bangladesh is US$25.00 converted to DBT based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online on OWWA mobile app via an online bank or e-wallet.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
In general, ensuring an active OWWA membership is necessary for OFWs. With the OWWA mobile app, renewing the OWWA membership online is also possible. So if your OWWA membership is expiring or you’re applying for the first time, you may contact the relevant offices below for inquiries and assistance.
Philippine Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh
Operating Hours: 8:30 am – 5:30 pm, Sunday to Thursday
Address: House 10, Road 14, Baridhara Diplomatic Zone, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinBangladesh
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone Number: +880 241-0809-01 to 06
POLO-OWWA in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 1, Jalan Changkat Kia Peng, Kuala Lumpur, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinMalaysia
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
OWWA Telephone Numbers: +(603) 9202 3756, +(6019) 333 0156
POLO Telephone Numbers: +(603) 2181 7299, +(603) 2161 2222