For OFWs in Austria, you should know that renewing your OWWA membership is necessary to access different benefits. OFWs who have also obtained employment in Austria via a visit visa, we encourage you to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership to access OWWA benefits. So how do you process OWWA membership in Austria? Keep reading as we share the available application procedures for OWWA membership in Austria.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies confirm OFWs’ legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
The OWWA membership comes with different programs, services, and support given to OFWs and their dependents. Through membership, OFWs can get legal assistance if they conflict with employers or financial aid during calamities. Furthermore, different programs are accessible to active OWWA members, such as livelihood, educational training, and scholarships. It also serves OFW’s insurance, providing them medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encouraged OFWs in Austria to renew or apply for OWWA membership to access maximum OWWA benefits.
As stated on a Facebook post of the Philippine Embassy in Austria, OFWs should bring the original and photocopies of the following documents for OWWA membership registration or renewal:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Company ID
- Copy of payslip
- Copy of bank account salary entries
- Work or residence permit
- Employment acknowledgment from POLO Milan (with English translation)
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- Oath of Allegiance for OFWs with dual citizenship
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to Euro based on the foreign exchange rate.
Considering that the OWWA membership provides different benefits, many OFWs wish to apply for the membership. However, not all OFWs can apply for OWWA membership as they need to meet and maintain OWWA’s qualification criteria. Applicants should have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas to qualifying for OWWA membership. Additionally, OFWs who obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries and are still Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment are qualified for OWWA membership.
On the contrary, OFWs who cannot meet or maintain OWWA’s qualification criteria are not qualified to apply for or even renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Austria
As of writing, an online appointment system for OWWA membership isn’t available in Austria. There is also no designated POLO in this country, and POLO Milan has oversight jurisdiction over Austria. So OFWs in Austria can contact POLO Milan for more details on OWWA membership or other labor-related concerns and services.
On the other hand, POLO Milan has an online appointment system for OWWA membership, as seen in a guide on their website. But note that the OWWA OSMP Scheduler is only for OFWs living in Milan or Northern Italy. Thus, if you wish to apply on-site at POLO Milan, contact their office for appointment and more details. For those vacationing in the Philippines, you may book an appointment with DMW for OWWA membership.
Applying for OWWA Membership in Austria
Based on the websites and Facebook pages of the Philippine Embassy in Austria and POLO Milan, they conduct a Consular Outreach Mission where OFWs can process their OWWA membership. However, it’s unclear if the Philippine Embassy in Austria regularly processes on-site OWWA membership applications at their office in Vienna.
Moreover, the online OWWA appointment system of POLO Milan is only for areas under their primary jurisdiction. Thus, it’s unclear if OFWs in Austria can visit POLO Milan to apply for or renew their OWWA membership. So we advised OFWs in Austria to contact the Philippine Consulate General (PCG) and POLO-OWWA Milan for the latest process.
You can also contact the Philippine Embassy in Vienna, Austria, and Honorary Consul in Salzburg and Innsbruck. Another easy way to apply for OWWA membership in Austria is through the OWWA mobile app. This process is more convenient since you can renew your OWWA membership using your mobile phone anytime and anywhere.
Paying OWWA Membership in Austria
Once you have secured the documentary requirements for OWWA membership, you can pay the contribution fee on-site if processing via Consular Outreach Mission or at the DMW office in the Philippines. But if you want to renew your OWWA membership online, you can use the OWWA mobile app. Then, you can pay for the OWWA membership through an online bank, e-wallet, or over-the-counter payment centers. To pay the OWWA membership fee, follow the steps below:
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via On-Site OWWA Membership Application
- Contact POLO Milan or Philippine Embassy in Austria to book an appointment for OWWA membership.
- Secure the documentary requirements for the OWWA membership application.
- Go to the designated application site and bring a copy of your confirmed appointment schedule.
- Head to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
- Then, pay the OWWA membership fee and claim your official receipt.
Also, note that OFWs who want to process their OWWA membership in Austria should contact the Philippine Embassy in Vienna and Honorary Consul in Salzburg and Innsbruck regarding the latest application. You can also contact PCG and POLO Milan for Consular Outreach Mission.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Austria
Whether renewing or applying for the first time for OWWA membership, please take note of the following reminders:
- As of writing, there is a designated POLO in Austria, and POLO Milan has oversight jurisdiction in this country.
- OFWs in Austria can process their OWWA membership through Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, or DMW when vacationing in the Philippines.
- OFWs should wear appropriate attire when visiting the Embassy or any government office. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers. Applicants wearing prohibited attires will not be allowed to enter the premise.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test took 48 hours from the visit.
- Note that most details online aren’t updated. Thus, we advise OFWs in Austria to contact the relevant offices for more information. You can also visit the website and Facebook pages of the Philippine Embassy in Austria and POLO Milan for the latest announcements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Austria?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Austria.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Austria?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Austria through Consular Outreach Mission or OWWA mobile app.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Austria?
The OWWA membership fee in Austria is US$25.00 converted to Euro based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: OWWA PROGRAMS & BENEFITS FOR OFW 2022
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLZXtx9mtDM
As discussed in the video, OFWs can access many programs and benefits, such as educational assistance that will benefit their dependents. OWWA also provide active members with training that can assist in their careers and livelihood assistance. So becoming an OWWA member is beneficial to OFWs.
Overall, the OWWA membership is essential for OFWs giving them many benefits. If you’re an OFWs in Austria, you can apply for or renew your OWWA membership with POLO Milan or contact the Philippine Embassy in Vienna and Honorary Consuls in Salzburg and Innsbruck. You can also download the OWWA mobile app to renew your membership online. So if you’re an OFW in Austria, keep your OWWA membership active to ensure you of OWWA benefits.
Philippine Embassy in Vienna, Austria
Address: Donau-City-Strasse 11, ARES Tower, Wien, Austria
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinAustria
Telephone Number: (+43 1) 5332401
Emergency Hotline: (+43 676) 442 2474
Honorary Consul in Salzburg, Austria
Address: Philippine Consul a.h., Glangasse 6, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Telephone Number: (+43 662) 8211 68
Fax: (+43 662) 82 1168
Honorary Consul in Innsbruck, Austria
Address: Karl-Schönherr Strasse 7/7, A-6020 Innsbruck
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Christian.email@example.com
Telephone Number: (+43) 512 588 49025
Fax: (+43 512) 588 49 010
Philippine Consulate General in Milan, Italy
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 1:30 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Viale Stelvio 71 angolo Via Bernina 18, Milan, Italy
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHLinMilan
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone Number: (+39) 02 6682 5232
Emergency Hotline: (39) 38 8093 3822
POLO-OWWA Milan, Italy
Address: Philippine Consulate General in Milan Building Viale Stelvio 71, 20159, Milan Italy
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/polomilanofficial
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone Number: POLO-(+39) 02 668 4647, OWWA-(+39) 02 668 05954
Whatsapp/Viber: POLO- (+39) 375 657 2333, OWWA-(+39) 375 676 2592