For OFWs in Russia, you should know that applying for or renewing your OWWA membership benefits you and your dependents. OFWs who also obtained employment in Russia via a visit visa and are not yet members are encouraged to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership to access OWWA benefits. And if you’re wondering how to become a member, read our in-depth guide on the different application processes for OWWA membership in Russia.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies assist OFWs in confirming they have obtained legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
Through the OWWA membership, OFW members can access different programs, services, and support to assist them and their dependents, from their careers to living conditions. OWWA members can also get legal assistance if they conflict with employers and financial aid during calamities. In addition, active OWWA members can access varying programs, such as livelihood, loans, education, training benefits, scholarships, repatriation, and reintegration. Most of all, the OWWA membership serves as OFW’s insurance, providing them medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encouraged OFWs in Russia to apply for or renew their OWWA membership to access maximum benefits.
As stated on the Facebook post of the Philippine Embassy in Russia, here are the following application requirements OFWs should secure for OWWA membership:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Company ID
- Copy of payslip
- Copy of bank account salary entries
- Work or residence permit
- Application for Philippine insurance with employer’s signature
- Other relevant documents proving employment
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to RUB based on the foreign exchange rate.
Although the OWWA membership is for OFWs, not all are qualified to become members since they need to meet the qualification criteria of OWWA. First, OWWA requires its members to have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas. OFWs who have obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries are also qualified for OWWA membership, given they remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment.
However, since OWWA members should have active and continuous employment, the following individuals are not qualified for OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Russia
As of writing, an online appointment system for OWWA membership application isn’t available since there’s no designated POLO in Russia. Nonetheless, POLO Berlin has jurisdiction over Russia and provides OFWs with labor-related services and concerns.
POLO Berlin and OWWA also recently conducted a Consular Outreach Mission in Moscow, which may require an appointment. So OFWs are advised to contact the said offices regarding the schedule and to book an appointment for the next Consular Outreach Mission in Russia.
On the other hand, if vacationing in the Philippines and your membership has expired, you can book an appointment at DMW for OWWA membership. OFWs in Russia can also inquire at the Philippine Embassy in Moscow regarding OWWA membership.
Applying for OWWA membership in Russia
According to the available details on the website and Facebook page of the Philippine Embassy in Moscow, OFWs in Russia have three ways to renew or apply for the OWWA membership. In a Facebook post on June 23, 2021, the Philippine Embassy in Russia encourages OFWs to apply via email, especially those having a hard time using the online application.
However, in another Facebook post on June 24, 2021, OFWs in the areas under the jurisdiction of POLO Berlin are encouraged to use the OWWA Online Membership Registration portal. So before applying via email, OFWs should verify with POLO Berlin or the Philippine Embassy in Russia if this process still exists.
But if you’re looking for the most convenient way to renew your membership, you can download the OWWA mobile app. With this process, you can renew your OWWA membership anytime and anywhere and pay the contribution fee online or at payment centers.
Paying OWWA Membership in Russia
Based on the gathered details, OFWs in Russia can apply for OWWA membership through email, the OWWA Online Membership Registration portal, and OWWA Mobile. The same goes for paying the OWWA membership. To do so, follow the steps below:
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
- Secure the requirements for the OWWA membership application.
- Send a scanned copy of your documents to email@example.com.
- Wait for the confirmation from POLO Berlin that your application was approved.
- Once approved, pay the OWWA membership fee to OWWA with the following details:
Account Name: Embassy of the Philippines-OWWA
Bank Name: DEUTSCHE BANK AG
Complete Address: UNTER DEN LINDEN 13/15, 10117 Berlin
Bank ID Code (BIC): DEUTDEBB101
International Bank Account Number (IBAN): DE61 1007 0100 0310 9808 00
- Then, send proof of your bank transfer or remittance for the OWWA membership fee payment.
Via OWWA Online Membership Registration
- Visit the online OWWA Membership Payment Registration portal.
- Fill out the required fields, including Personal Information, Employment Details, and Legal Beneficiaries.
- Upload your Proof of Employment and valid Philippine passport.
- Click Submit Application.
- Then, wait for an email confirmation containing the transaction number and payment instructions for the OWWA membership fee.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Additionally, OFWs can process their OWWA membership via Consular Outreach Mission in Russia or DMW when vacationing in the Philippines. So you can pay the OWWA membership on-site through these two processes.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Russia
Whether it’s your first time or renewing your OWWA membership in Russia, please take note of the following reminders:
- As of writing, there is no designated POLO and existing online appointment system for OWWA membership in Russia.
- POLO Berlin has jurisdiction over Russia and provides labor-related services and concerns to OFWs.
- OFWs in Russia can process their OWWA membership application via email, OWWA mobile app, and OWWA Online Membership Registration portal, which is only accessible to areas under the jurisdiction of POLO Berlin.
- OFWs processing their OWWA membership application through POLO Berlin Consular Outreach Mission in Russia or at DMW in the Philippines should contact their office to book an appointment.
- OFWs visiting the Philippine Embassy and other government offices should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers. Doing so will prohibit you from entry regardless if you have an appointment.
- If applying on-site, bring proof of your confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours from your visit.
- Considering most details on the Facebook pages and websites aren’t updated, OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy in Russia and POLO Berlin for more information.
Video: MGA OFW NA HINDI QUALIFIED MAKAKUHA NG OWWA MEMBERSHIP.
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, some are not qualified for OWWA membership, including terminated OFWs, spouse visas, business partner visas, and canceled visas. In short, OWWA membership is only available to legal and working OFWs, given that they can comply with the documentary requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Russia?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Russia.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Russia?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Russia via email, Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA Online Membership Registration portal, or OWWA mobile app.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Russia?
The OWWA membership fee in Russia is US$25.00 converted to RUB based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
In summary, OFWs in Russia have different options in applying for or renewing their OWWA membership. Furthermore, OFWs in Russia can use the OWWA mobile app to renew their OWWA membership. So with varying ways to process the membership, we encouraged OFWs in Russia to keep their OWWA membership active to enjoy OWWA benefits.
Philippine Embassy in Moscow, Russia
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Karmanitsky Pereulok 6/8, 121099 Moscow
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHLinRussia
Telephone Numbers: +7(499)241-0563/ 241-0564/ 241-0565
24-Hour Hotline Number: +7(906)738-2538
Fax Number: +7(499)241-2630
Philippine Embassy in Berlin, Germany
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Luisenstrasse 16 10117 Berlin Mitte Germany
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinGermany/
Telephone Number: +49 (0) 30 864 9500
Emergency Hotline: +49 (0) 17 3521 5703
Fax Number: (030) 87 32 55 1