Are you planning to process your OWWA membership in the Cayman Islands? If yes, you’re in the right place. This article is an in-depth guide for OWWA membership, including the requirements and the application processes for OFWs in the Cayman Islands. We also added the contact details of relevant offices that can assist you. So keep reading if you’re applying for the first time or renewing your OWWA membership in the Cayman Islands.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is an agency established in 1977 and mandated by the Philippine government to promote the welfare and ensure the safety of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. It’s attached to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), which aims to provide OFWs with relevant services and assistance worldwide.
Furthermore, the OWWA membership offered by the agency includes services, programs, and support that can assist OFWs and their dependents, from livelihood to educational training and scholarship. The agency also helps active OWWA members through financial and legal aid, especially to maltreated and distressed OFWs. It also acts as OFW’s insurance, as the agency provides medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial benefits. That’s why we encourage OFWs in the Cayman Islands to renew or apply voluntarily for OWWA membership.
Here are the following primary documentary requirements OFWs in the Cayman Islands should secure for OWWA membership as per POLO Washington DC:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Original and copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of the Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to KYD based on the foreign exchange rate.
Whether you’re an active or inactive member, you can access varying OWWA benefits, given you meet the requirements. However, not everyone can become a member since OWWA has imposed qualification criteria that its members should meet and maintain. OWWA requires its members to have active and continuous work and should be “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas.
In addition, OWWA acknowledges as member OFWs who have obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment. On the other hand, OFWs who don’t meet the qualification criteria cannot apply for or even renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in the Cayman Islands
As of writing, the Cayman Islands don’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership. It’s also under the jurisdiction of the Philippine Embassy and POLO Washington DC, which conducts the Consular Outreach Mission on the island. Thus, OFWs in the Cayman Islands may contact these offices to book an appointment for OWWA membership during the Consular Outreach Mission.
Meanwhile, OFWs vacationing in the Philippines may book an appointment with DMW or OWWA Regional office. OFWs in the Cayman Islands may also contact the nearby Philippine Honorary Consulates in the Bahamas and Miami for inquiries on OWWA membership applications.
Applying for OWWA membership in the Cayman Islands
According to the latest post of POLO Washington DC, they conduct a Consular Outreach Mission in the Cayman Islands with the Philippine Embassy. They offer on-site OWWA membership registration and renewal, which may require an appointment. POLO Washington DC also processes OWWA membership via email and regular mail. But you should contact their office to confirm these processes exist and apply to OFWs in the Cayman Islands.
Moreover, OFWs vacationing in the Philippines can process their OWWA membership on-site at DMW or OWWA Regional office. But if you’re in for convenience, we recommend renewing your OWWA membership through the OWWA mobile app. This app allows you to renew your membership online and at any time.
Paying OWWA Membership in the Cayman Islands
Since the Cayman Islands is under the jurisdiction of POLO Washington DC, OFWs may pay the OWWA membership fee on-site during the Consular Outreach Mission. The same goes for DMW or OWWA Regional office. But if processing via email and regular mail, follow the payment instructions provided by POLO Washington DC.
On the other hand, processing your OWWA membership through OWWA mobile app is more convenient since you have varying payment options. You can pay the OWWA membership via an online bank, e-wallet, or over-the-counter payment centers in the Philippines. Additionally, you can ask your relatives in the Philippines to pay the contribution fee if you’re not in the country.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via Regular Mail (POLO Washington DC)
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Secure and photocopy the requirements.
- Ensure that the documents are complete.
- Include self-addressed, stamped, and prepaid on the return envelope.
- Mail your requirements to the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), Embassy of the Philippines, 1600 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington DC, 20036.
Via Email (POLO Washington DC)
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Complete and scan the requirements.
- Email your requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If verified, follow the instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee sent to your email.
- Take a screenshot of the OWWA membership fee payment receipt, and send it to OWWA’s email.
- Then, you’ll receive an email e-copy of your official receipt.
- To claim the original official receipt, email OWWA before your visit to set an appointment for pick-up.
Via Consular Outreach Mission (Philippine Embassy & POLO Washington DC)
- Contact the Philippine Embassy and POLO Washington DC.
- Book an appointment for OWWA membership.
- Print or take a screenshot of the confirmed appointment schedule sent to your email.
- Complete the documentary requirements for application.
- Visit the designated site for the Consular Outreach Mission in the Cayman Islands.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and claim the official receipt of your payment.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in the Cayman Islands
Please take note of the following reminders if you’re processing your OWWA membership in the Cayman Islands:
- As of writing, the Cayman Islands doesn’t have a designated POLO. The nearest office from the Cayman Islands is POLO Washington DC.
- OFWs in the Cayman Islands may process their OWWA membership through regular mail, email, OWWA mobile app, Consular Outreach Mission, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. Applicants cannot enter the premise wearing strictly prohibited outfits, including sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test took 48 hours from the visit.
- For inquiries and assistance on OWWA membership applications, OFWs in the Cayman Islands may contact the Philippine Embassy and POLO Washington DC, the Philippine Honorary Consulates in the Bahamas and Miami, and their agency. You may also visit their official website and Facebook page for the latest announcements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in the Cayman Islands?
As of writing, an online appointment system for OWWA membership isn’t available in the Cayman Islands.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in the Cayman Islands?
You may renew your OWWA membership in the Cayman Islands via regular mail, email, Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in the Cayman Islands?
The OWWA membership fee in the Cayman Islands is US$25.00 converted to KYD based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online on OWWA mobile app via an online bank or e-wallet.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: OWWA TUMATANGGAP NA NG APPLICATION FORM PARA SA OFW DEPENDENTS SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM – ODSP
For more information on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, OWWA Regional offices are already accepting applications for OFW Dependent Scholarship Program (ODSP). This program applies to OFWs with children or siblings who are studying. Thus, becoming an OWWA member will also benefit OFWs dependents.
In summary, OFWs in the Cayman Islands processing their OWWA membership should contact POLO and the Philippine Embassy in Washington. For OFWs renewing their membership, you may also use the OWWA mobile app or contact your agency for assistance. Lastly, don’t forget to contact the relevant offices to confirm if the processes above exist and apply to OFWs in the Cayman Islands.
Philippine Embassy in Washington DC, USA
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, from Monday to Friday
Address: Main Chancery Building, Bataan Street corner 1600 Massachusetts Avenue, NW Washington DC, 20036
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinUSA/
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone Number: 202 467 9300, 202 467 9363″
Fax Number: 202 328 7614
POLO-OWWA Washington DC, USA
Operating Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, from Monday to Friday (except holidays)
Address: 1600 Massachusetts Ave., NW Washington DC, 20036
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/POLO-Washington-DC-1730811803835481, https://web.facebook.com/polo.wdc.
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone Numbers: +1 (202)-467-9426
Philippine Honorary Consulate in Miami
Address: 1600 Ponce de Leon Blvd. Suite 1101 Coral Gables, Florida 33134
Philippine Honorary Consulate in The Bahamas
Address: Nassau Medical Center, Carmichael Road West, Nassau, The Bahamas
Telephone Number: (+1 242) 558 2838