For OFWs in Nepal, we recommend prioritizing renewing your OWWA membership to enjoy varying and long-term OWWA benefits. We also encourage OFWs in Nepal who have obtained employment via a visit visa to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership. Read on as we share an in-depth guide for OWWA membership in Nepal and include the contact details of relevant offices.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies confirm OFWs’ legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
With that said, the OWWA membership provided to OFWs includes different services, support, and programs, aiming to improve their career, livelihood, and dependent education. OWWA also supports OFWs in different ways, like providing legal assistance to those who conflict with employers or financial aid during calamities. In addition, active OWWA members can enjoy programs from livelihood to scholarship. The OWWA membership also serves as OFW’s insurance providing them medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encourage OFWs in Nepal to renew or apply for OWWA membership to enjoy maximum OWWA benefits.
Here are the following documentary requirements OFWs in Nepal should secure whether a first-time applicant or renew their OWWA membership:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to NPR based on the foreign exchange rate.
Becoming an OWWA member benefits OFWs and their dependents as it includes services and programs that can assist in their children’s education and improving their livelihood. Nonetheless, not all OFWs can apply for OWWA membership due to qualification criteria they should meet and maintain.
OWWA only accepts members who have active and continuous work with valid work permits and visas. Additionally, OFWs who have acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment can become OWWA members.
However, the following individuals who cannot meet and maintain the qualification criteria cannot apply for or renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Nepal
As of writing, an online appointment system for OWWA membership isn’t available in Nepal since this country doesn’t have a designated POLO. The Philippine Consulate General (PCG) in Kathmandu, Nepal, also doesn’t have a Facebook page or website. Thus, we advise OFWs in Nepal to contact the PCG office in Kathmandu for more details. If you have an agency, you can contact them to assist in processing OWWA membership.
On the other hand, OFWs vacationing in the Philippines may contact DMW or OWWA Regional office to book an appointment for OWWA membership. In addition, the nearest POLO-OWWA offices from Nepal are in Malaysia and Saudi Arabia. So you may contact their office for further details since it’s unclear if Nepal is under their jurisdiction.
Lastly, the Philippine Embassy in New Delhi, India, conducts Consular Outreach Mission in Nepal which may require an appointment. But note that it’s unclear if they offer OWWA membership registration or renewal during the Consular Outreach Mission. Thus, it is ideal to contact them for clarification.
Applying for OWWA Membership in Nepal
Considering there is no relevant information about OWWA membership in Nepal, OFWs can process their membership through OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office. If you’re in Nepal, you can download the OWWA mobile app and renew your OWWA membership anytime and anywhere.
For those vacationing in the Philippines, contact DMW or the nearest OWWA Regional office to book an appointment for the OWWA membership application. Furthermore, the Philippine Embassy in New Delhi conducts Consular Outreach Missions in Nepal. You can contact them to inquire regarding the OWWA membership application.
Paying OWWA Membership in Nepal
As stated, OFWs in Nepal can process their membership through Consular Outreach Mission conducted by the Philippine Embassy in New Delhi, India, and at DMW or OWWA Regional office. If you choose these two procedures, you can pay the OWWA membership fee on-site during your appointment.
But if you’re looking for the most convenient way, download the OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership. You can choose to pay via an online bank or e-wallet. You can also ask your relatives to pay the contribution fee at payment centers in the Philippines.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via Consular Outreach Mission
- Contact the Philippine Embassy in New Delhi or the PCG office in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Book an appointment for OWWA membership.
- Print a copy of your confirmed appointment and secure the documentary requirements.
- Visit the designated application site on the day of your appointment.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and collect the official receipt.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Nepal
Please take note of the following reminders for OWWA membership in Nepal:
- As of writing, Nepal doesn’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership, and this country doesn’t have a designated POLO.
- OFWs in Nepal may process their membership through Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
- The nearest POLO-OWWA offices in Nepal are in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test took 48 hours from the visit.
- Due to the limited details regarding OWWA membership in Nepal, we advise OFWs to contact PCG in Kathmandu and the Philippine Embassy in New Delhi, India. You may also visit their Facebook page and website for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Nepal?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Nepal.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Nepal?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Nepal through Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Nepal?
The OWWA membership fee in Nepal is US$25.00 converted to NPR based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: Details on OWWA Membership
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, although OFWs can leave the country without renewing their OWWA membership, it is essential in times of difficulty with the assistance and services it offers. It includes cash assistance for OFWs who lost their job or death benefits for the beneficiaries. Thus, OWWA membership benefits OFWs and their dependents in many ways.
In summary, OFWs in Nepal should ensure an active OWWA membership to access varying benefits from OWWA. Also, note that this guide only contains an overview of the application process for OWWA membership.
Thus, we still advise OFWs in Nepal to contact the relevant offices for the latest procedures.
Philippine Honorary Consulate General Kathmandu, Nepal
Adress: Voith House, Tinkune Complex, P.O. Box No: 233/26/640, Sinamangal, Tinkune, Kathmandu, Nepal
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone Number: (977 1) 447 83 01-5
TeleFax Number: (977 1) 448 62 43 / 449 78 92
Telex Number: 2379 UTSNE NP/ 2202 UTSNE NP
Philippine Embassy in New Delhi, India
Address: Charge d’affaires a.i. 50-N Nyaya Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi: 110021
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinIndia
Whatsapp Number for Consular: 91 85958 54640
POLO-OWWA Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: No. 1 Changkat Kia Peng, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinMalaysia
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
POLO Telephone Number: +(603) 2181 7299/ +(603) 2161 2222/ +(6017) 8837 089 (Hotline)
OWWA Telephone Number: +(603) 9226 7117/ +(603) 0173 804163 (Hotline)
POLO-OWWA Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Operating Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Sunday to Thursday
Address: 3267 Makkah Al Mukarramah Branch Road, Al Mutamarat, Riyadh 12711 8103
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHLinKSA
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Mobile Number: 050 285 0944