For OFWs in Iceland, getting an OWWA membership is important to access varying benefits. We also encourage OFWs in Iceland who have obtained employment via a visit visa to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership. And if you wish to process your membership, read our in-depth guide on OWWA membership in Iceland.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies confirm OFWs’ legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
The OWWA membership includes varying services, programs, and support accessible to OFW members and their dependents, assisting in their education, career, and living condition.
In addition, OWWA helps OFWs with employer conflicts by providing them with legal assistance and financial aid in times of calamities. Active OWWA members can also access varying programs, including scholarships, educational training, and livelihood.
Additionally, the membership serves as OFW’s insurance by providing them with medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encourage OFWs in Iceland to renew or apply for OWWA membership to enjoy maximum OWWA benefits.
Whether first time applying or renewing your OWWA membership, here are the following documentary requirements you should secure as per the application guide from the Philippine Embassy in London:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Copy of bank account salary entries
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- Certificate of Oath and Identification page for OFWs with dual citizenship
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to ISK based on the foreign exchange rate.
Considering the varying programs, services, and support OWWA provides its members and their dependents, many OFWs wish to become OWWA members. But not everyone is qualified for OWWA membership since OFWs should meet and maintain OWWA’s qualification criteria. OWWA requires its members to have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas.
Moreover, OFWs who acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries and are still Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment can become OWWA members. On the other hand, the following individuals who don’t meet the qualification criteria include employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Iceland
As of writing, there is no online appointment system for OWWA membership in Iceland. This country is also under the jurisdiction of POLO-OWWA London, assisting OFWs in Iceland regarding labor-related services and concerns. So for further inquiries, you may contact POLO-OWWA London and the Philippine Consulate General in Reykjavik, Iceland.
In addition, you may contact the Philippine Embassy in Norway as they conduct a Consular Outreach Mission in Iceland. Inquire if they offer OWWA membership registration during their Consular Outreach Mission and book an appointment.
For those vacationing in the Philippines, you may contact DMW or the nearest OWWA Regional office to book an appointment and ask about the latest documentary requirements for OWWA membership.
Applying for OWWA Membership in Iceland
You may contact the Philippine Embassy in Norway about the Consular Outreach Mission in Iceland if you wish to renew your OWWA membership on-site. You may also contact your agency for assistance.
Another option is to process your OWWA membership through the POLO-OWWA London email or Facebook page. Just scan your complete documentary requirements and submit it via email or Facebook page for evaluation.
But the OWWA mobile app is the most recommended step since you can renew your OWWA membership online anytime. But if you’re in the Philippines, visit DMW or OWWA Regional office to process your membership.
Paying OWWA Membership in Iceland
As stated, OFWs have three options to process their OWWA membership in Iceland. If processing through the Consular Outreach Mission, you can pay the OWWA membership fee on-site on the day of your appointment. But if via email or Facebook page, follow the payment instructions from POLO-OWWA London.
Aside from that, using the OWWA mobile app is more convenient since you can pay through an online bank and e-wallet. You can also pay the OWWA membership fee at over-the-counter payment centers. Then, ask your relatives to pay the contribution fee using the generated reference number from your in-app transaction.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via Consular Outreach Mission
- Contact the Philippine Embassy in Norway for the schedule of the Consular Outreach Mission in Iceland.
- Inquire and book an appointment for OWWA membership registration or renewal.
- Secure your requirements and a printout of your confirmed appointment schedule sent via email.
- Go to the designated application site on the day of your appointment.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and collect your official receipt.
Via Email/Facebook Page
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Scan the documentary requirements for OWWA membership.
- Next, send the scanned documents to POLO-OWWA London email at email@example.com or their Facebook page for evaluation.
- Wait for an email from POLO-OWWA London regarding your application for OWWA membership.
- Once qualified, follow the payment transaction for the OWWA membership fee sent via email or inquire at the POLO-OWWA London Facebook page.
- Take a screenshot of the successful payment transaction.
- Send the screenshot to the POLO-OWWA London email or Facebook page.
- Then, you’ll receive an electronic copy of your official receipt. You can also book an appointment to claim your official receipt at the Philippine Embassy in London.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Iceland
Please take note of the following reminders when processing your OWWA membership in Iceland:
- As of writing, Iceland is under the jurisdiction of POLO-OWWA London.
- OFWs in Iceland may process their OWWA membership via Consular Outreach Mission conducted by the Philippine Embassy in Norway, OWWA mobile app, and the POLO-OWWA London email or Facebook page.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours from the visit.
- OFWs should book an appointment with the Philippine Embassy in London to claim their OWWA membership official receipt.
- Due to limited details for OWWA membership in Iceland, we advised OFWs to contact the Philippine Consulate in Reykjavik, the Philippine Embassy in Norway, and POLO-OWWA London. You can also visit their official websites and Facebook pages for the latest updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Iceland?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Iceland.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Iceland?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Iceland through Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, and the POLO-OWWA London email or Facebook page.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Iceland?
The OWWA membership fee in Iceland is US$25.00 converted to ISK based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: MGA BENEFITS NA MAAARING MA-CLAIM SA OWWA ONCE NA MAG FOR GOOD NA.
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, OFWs who are no longer working abroad and inactive OWWA members can still access benefits from OWWA. This benefit includes financial and livelihood assistance, benefiting those who lose their work or retire. So paying the OWWA membership fee is beneficial for OFWs in the long run.
To sum up, OFWs should ensure an active OWWA membership to enjoy the services, programs, and support the agency offers.
Furthermore, OWWA can assist OFWs staying in the country for good and those with health issues by providing financial support. Thus, OFWs in Iceland should prioritize their OWWA membership.
Philippine Consulate General in Reykjavik, Iceland
Address: Skógarsel 39, 109 Reykjavik, Iceland
Telephone Number: (+354) 897 5391
Philippine Embassy in Oslo, Norway
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Nedre Vollgate 4, Oslo, Norway
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinNorway
Telephone Number: +47 22 40 09 00
Philippine Embassy in London, United Kingdom
Operating Hours: 9:30 am – 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 6-11 Suffolk Street, London SW1Y 4HG
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHLinUK
Emergency Hotline: (+44) 78 0279 0695
Address: 3F, 6 Suffolk Street, London SW1Y 4HG
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/POLOOWWALONDON
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone Number: (+44) 20 7839 8078 Fax: (+44) 20 7839 7345