For OFWs in India, you should know that renewing your OWWA membership gives you access to long-term OWWA benefits. We also encourage OFWs in India to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership if they have acquired employment via a visit visa. With that said, we’ve created an in-depth guide for OWWA membership in India. We also included the contact details of relevant offices, so read on.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies confirm OFWs’ legal employment and access to OWWA programs and services.
The OWWA membership is a program offered to OFWs that entitles them to services and support benefiting them and their dependents. OWWA also provide different types of support, such as legal assistance for OFWs having conflict with their employers or financial aid during calamities. Furthermore, active OWWA members can access programs from educational training to livelihood. By applying for OWWA membership, OFWs have insurance providing them medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encourage OFWs in India to renew or apply for OWWA membership to access maximum OWWA benefits.
If you’re an OFW in India, here are the following documentary requirements you should secure for OWWA membership registration or renewal:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to INR based on the foreign exchange rate.
Through the OWWA membership, OFWs and their dependents can enjoy services and programs to improve their life. Thus, many OFWs wish to become OWWA members. However, not everyone can apply for membership since OWWA has set qualification criteria that members should meet and maintain. OWWA demands its members have active and continuous work with valid work permits and visas. In addition, OFWs who have acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment can apply for OWWA membership.
On the other hand, OFWs who cannot meet and maintain OWWA’s qualification criteria cannot apply for or renew their membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in India
As of writing, there is no online appointment system for OWWA membership in India since this country doesn’t have a designated POLO. Thus, we advise OFWs in India to contact the Philippine Embassy in New Delhi. Since their official Facebook page and website don’t have any information regarding OWWA membership registration. You can also contact your agency for assistance.
Furthermore, OFWs in India may contact the nearest POLO-OWWA offices in Malaysia and Saudi Arabia for more details. You may also contact the nearest Philippine Consulate General (PCG) offices located in Mumbai, Kolkata, and Chennai. However, if vacationing in the Philippines, you may contact DMW or OWWA Regional office to book an appointment for OWWA membership.
Applying for OWWA Membership in India
Since there is no available detail online for OWWA membership in India, the surest way to apply for OWWA membership is through OWWA mobile app and DMW or OWWA Regional office. You can renew your membership through the OWWA mobile app anytime and anywhere.
But if you choose to process your membership at DMW or OWWA Regional office, book an appointment and inquire about the latest documentary requirements for OWWA membership. Moreover, the Philippines Embassy in New Delhi conducts a Consular Outreach Mission across India. So you may contact their office or the nearest PCG in your area for more information.
Meanwhile, the nearest POLO-OWWA offices in India are in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. But it’s unclear if India is under their jurisdiction. Thus, it is ideal to contact their offices to clarify if their OWWA membership application procedure applies to OFWs in India. POLO-OWWA Riyadh conducts on-site applications while the Kuala Lumpur office process via email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Paying OWWA Membership in India
As stated, the Philippine Embassy in New Delhi conducts Consular Outreach Mission all over India. But it is not clear if they process OWWA membership service at the event. Thus, you should contact their office to clarify. You can pay the contribution fee on-site if an on-site OWWA membership is available.
On the contrary, renewing your membership via OWWA mobile app is much easier. Download the app on your device, create an account, and fill out the application form online. Then, pay the OWWA membership fee based on your preferred payment method. You can pay the contribution fee through an online bank, e-wallet, or payment centers in the Philippines. If you’re not in the Philippines, you can ask your relatives to pay it using the generated reference number.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via Consular Outreach Mission
- Contact the Philippine Embassy in New Delhi or PCG offices in Mumbai, Kolkata, and Chennai.
- Book an appointment for OWWA membership.
- Print a copy of your confirmed appointment and secure the documentary requirements.
- Visit the designated application site on the day of your appointment.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and collect the official receipt.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in India
Please keep in mind the following reminders if you’re renewing or applying for OWWA membership in India:
- As of writing, India doesn’t have a designated POLO and online appointment system for OWWA membership.
- OFWs in India may apply for membership via Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
- The nearest POLO-OWWA offices in India are in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test took 48 hours from the visit.
- Considering there are no details online about OWWA membership in India, OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy in New Delhi and PCG offices in Mumbai, Kolkata, and Chennai. You can also visit their official website and Facebook page for more details.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in India?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in India.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in India?
You can renew your OWWA membership in India through Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in India?
The OWWA membership fee in India is US$25.00 converted to INR based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: HINDI ACTIVE NA OWWA MEMBERSHIP PAANO I-RENEW? PAANO MAGBAYAD NG CASH KAHIT SA ABROAD KA?
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, you can renew your membership by downloading the OWWA mobile app. There are also different payment methods available if paying via OWWA mobile app. It is more convenient, especially for OFWs residing in faraway places. Also, their relatives can pay the contribution fee at payment centers if they’re not in the Philippines.
With this guide, we hope you have learned the easy ways to process your OWWA membership in India. While we don’t offer the latest and specific application procedure, you can contact the relevant offices through their details below. You can also use the OWWA mobile app for convenience.
Philippine Embassy in New Delhi, India
Address: Charge d’affaires a.i. 50-N Nyaya Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi: 110021
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinIndia
Whatsapp Number for Consular: 91 85958 54640
Philippine Honorary Consulate General Mumbai
Address: 1st Floor, Industry House 159 Churchgate Reclamation, Mumbai 400021
Philippine Honorary Consulate General Kolkata
Address: 37 Shakespeare Sarani 2nd Floor, Kolkata, 700001
Philippine Honorary Consulate General Chennai
Address: “Spic House” Annex Building VIII Floor, 88 Mount Road Guindy, Chennai 600032
POLO-OWWA Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: No. 1 Changkat Kia Peng, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinMalaysia
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
POLO Telephone Number: +(603) 2181 7299/ +(603) 2161 2222/ +(6017) 8837 089 (Hotline)
OWWA Telephone Number: +(603) 9226 7117/ +(603) 0173 804163 (Hotline)
POLO-OWWA Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Operating Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Sunday to Thursday
Address: 3267 Makkah Al Mukarramah Branch Road, Al Mutamarat, Riyadh 12711 8103
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHLinKSA
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile Number: 050 285 0944