If you’re an OFW in Cambodia applying for the first time or renewing your OWWA membership, this article is for you. For those who have acquired employment in Cambodia via a visit visa, we encourage you to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership to enjoy different benefits. So if you’re wondering how to apply for OWWA membership in Cambodia, keep reading as we share the available application procedures.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies help OFWs to confirm if they have obtained legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
With the OWWA membership, OFWs can enjoy varying programs, services, and support to help them and their dependents. OWWA assists its members by providing legal assistance to those who have conflicts with employers and require financial aid during difficulties. In addition, various programs are accessible to active OWWA members, such as livelihood, educational training, and scholarships.
Most importantly, the OWWA membership acts as OFWs insurance, providing them medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encouraged OFWs in Cambodia to renew or apply for OWWA membership to access the said benefits.
As stated on the official website of the Philippine Embassy in Cambodia, here are the following documentary requirements for OWWA Membership application or renewal:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Company ID
- Copy of payslip
- Copy of bank account salary entries
- Work or residence permit
- Application for Philippine insurance with employer’s signature
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to KHR based on the foreign exchange rate.
Through OWWA membership, OFWs can enjoy many benefits, from financial and educational programs. However, not all are qualified to apply for OWWA membership since applicants should meet OWWA’s qualification criteria. OFWs applying for or renewing their OWWA membership should have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas. Moreover, OFWs who have acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment can apply for OWWA membership.
On the other hand, since OWWA only acknowledge members with active and continuous employment, the following individuals are not qualified to apply for or even renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Cambodia
As of writing, an online appointment system for OWWA membership isn’t available since there is no designated POLO in Cambodia. But according to a post on the official website of the Philippine Embassy in Singapore, POLO Singapore has jurisdiction over Cambodia. So OFWs in Cambodia may inquire with POLO Singapore regarding labor-related concerns and services.
A post on the website of the Philippine Embassy in Cambodia also states that booking an appointment online is required for the On-site OWWA Membership Registration and Renewal conducted by POLO Singapore. But since the provided link is no longer accepting responses, OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy in Cambodia and POLO Singapore regarding the appointment for On-site OWWA Membership Registration and Renewal. For OFWs vacationing in the Philippines, you can also book an appointment with DMW for On-site OWWA Membership Registration and Renewal.
Applying for OWWA membership in Cambodia
Based on the latest details online, OFWs in Cambodia can apply on-site for OWWA membership through the Multi-Agency Service Mission (MASM) at the Philippine Embassy in Cambodia. This event is made possible with the participation of various government agencies, including OWWA and POLO Singapore. But note that an appointment is required to attend the one-stop shop MASM. So OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy in Cambodia for the schedule and book an OWWA appointment for MASM.
Nonetheless, if you don’t have the time to visit the Philippine Embassy and urgently need to renew your OWWA membership, use the OWWA mobile app. It is the easiest way to process your OWWA membership, allowing you to process it at your convenience. Also, note that there might be other ways to process your OWWA membership in Cambodia. So it is ideal to contact the Philippine Embassy in Cambodia or your agency to assist you with the application process.
Paying OWWA Membership in Cambodia
With that said, OFWs have two ways to pay for the OWWA membership in Cambodia, on-site MASM or OWWA mobile app. You can also pay the contribution fee on-site if processing your OWWA membership during the MASM event. But note that the Philippine Embassy in Cambodia only accepts cash payments. So make sure to prepare the amount of US$25.00 or its equivalent to KHR based on the foreign exchange rate.
For those who wish to renew their membership using the OWWA mobile app, you have different options to pay the OWWA membership fee. You can pay through online banking or e-wallet or pay the OWWA membership fee at payment centers. If you’re not in the Philippines, you can ask your relatives to settle the payment by providing them with the generated reference number. To pay for the OWWA membership, you can choose any of the steps below:
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via On-site OWWA Membership/Multi-Agency Service Mission (MASM)
- Contact the Philippine Embassy in Cambodia or POLO Singapore to book an OWWA appointment.
- Secure the documentary requirements and submit it online for pre-evaluation, if requested.
- Visit the Philippine Embassy in Cambodia on the day of your appointment.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter to process your OWWA membership
- If the requirements aren’t submitted online, submit them to the OWWA representative for evaluation.
- Once qualified, pay the OWWA membership fee and claim your official receipt.
Reminder, the process for MASM is unclear, whether or not OFWs should submit their requirements online. But based on a past post for the On-Site OWWA Membership Registration and Renewal conducted by POLO Singapore, OFWs should submit their documentary requirements online. Thus, OFWs should contact the relevant offices regarding the detailed procedure for MASM.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Furthermore, OFWs who process their OWWA membership during their vacation in the Philippines can pay the contribution fee on-site. So make sure to contact DMW regarding the documentary requirements for OWWA membership.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Cambodia
For OFWs in Cambodia who want to apply for or renew their OWWA membership, please take note of the following reminders:
- Currently, there is no designated POLO, and an appointment system for OWWA membership isn’t available in Cambodia.
- POLO Singapore has jurisdiction over Cambodia and provides OFWs in this country with labor-related concerns and services.
- OFWs in Cambodia can process their OWWA membership through the on-site Multi-Agency Service Mission (MASM) at the Embassy, the OWWA mobile app, or DMW if vacationing in the Philippines.
- OFWs should wear appropriate attire when visiting the Embassy or any government office. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers. If you do so, you won’t be allowed to enter even if you have an appointment.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test took 48 hours from the visit.
- Since most details online aren’t updated, OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy in Cambodia and POLO Singapore regarding the latest OWWA membership application procedure.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Cambodia?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Cambodia.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Cambodia?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Cambodia via the On-site OWWA Membership/Multi-Agency Service Mission (MASM)or OWWA mobile app.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Cambodia?
The OWWA membership fee in Cambodia is US$25.00 converted to KHR based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: Nag Renew ako ng OWWA Membership Gamit Ang Cellphone|Katatay Vlogs
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, renewing your OWWA membership through your mobile phone is possible. All you need to do is to install the OWWA mobile app and create an account. Log in to your account and renew your membership. Then, pay the OWWA membership fee to complete the process.
To sum up, OFWs in Cambodia can conveniently process their OWWA membership even if there is no designated POLO. With the assistance of POLO Singapore, OFWs in Cambodia don’t have to worry about renewing or applying for OWWA membership.
In addition, OFWs can renew their OWWA membership anytime and anywhere through the OWWA mobile app. Thus, OFWs in Cambodia should keep their OWWA membership active to access maximum benefits.
Philippine Embassy in Cambodia
Operating Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: No. 182 Preah Norodom Blvd., Sangkat Tonle Bassac, Khan Chamkarmon, Phnom Penh 12301, Kingdom of Cambodia
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHLinCambodia
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone Number: +855 23 222 303, +855 23 222 304
Mobile Hotline: +855 98 888 771
Fax: +855 23 215 143
Philippine Embassy in Singapore
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 20 Nassim Road, Singapore 258395
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinSingapore
Telephone Number: +65 6737 3977
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100076801975208
Telephone Number: +65 6737 3977 (Ext. 107- OWWA Membership and Welfare Concerns)
Hotline Number: +65 9023 5601 (OWWA Membership and Welfare Concerns)