If you’re an overseas Filipino worker in Taichung, Taiwan, and you’re not yet an OWWA member, or with a membership that will soon expire, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll share everything about the OWWA appointment and membership in MECO Taichung, Taiwan, so keep on reading.
For other areas in Taiwan, you may visit the other MECO offices depending on your location:
- Schedule OWWA Appointment and Membership in Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- Schedule OWWA Appointment and Membership in Taipei, Taiwan
For OFWs in Taipei, Taiwan and are wondering how to apply or renew their OWWA membership, you have to go to the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO) at 239 Min Chuan Road in order to process your application. The MECO is the office that is responsible for handling Philippine government documents and procedures for Pinoys in Taiwan. Those specifically based in this Taichung city district can visit the Taichung office for assistance.
The OWWA is a government-mandated institution that insures all Filipino workers who are on their way to work and live overseas. It was established in 1979 with an aim to protect the welfare of Filipinos working abroad.
A non-stock, and non-profit organization, it aims to look after OFWs’ occupational hazards, repatriation of bodies and human remains loss of money while traveling, and other emergency situations. Moreover, it holds insurance on unpaid salaries of contract workers.
Renewing your OWWA membership is very important as an OFW because this is a form of insurance where you can get good benefits as an overseas worker. Please follow the steps below on how you can activate your membership in Taipei,
For OFWs in Taichung who are applying or renewing their OWWA membership, here are the requirements you need to comply with to process your membership application, including:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Visa validity exceeding 90 days
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- Photocopy of POLO Verified Employment Contract
- Photocopy of ARC (Alien Registration Card)
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA Membership fee of NT$ 758 or $25 converted to local currency (based on current foreign exchange rate)
- Personal appearance only
But before anything else, make sure that you’re qualified to apply or renew your membership with OWWA. The institution requires there members to be actively and continuously working and should be a “legal’ or “documented” OFW under POEA with valid visas and work permits. In addition, OFWs who have acquired a permanent residency status from foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens, are accepted by OWWA to apply for the membership.
On the contrary, although OWWA would like to assist all OFWs abroad, they only accept actively and continuously working members. Thus, the following individuals are not qualified to apply or renew their OWWA membership, including:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Taichung
It is not clear whether or not MECO Taichung requires an appointment for the OWWA membership application. Although some OFWs have experience visiting directly, it is better to contact them before going to the MECO Taichung office. Since MECO Taipei and Kaoshiung both require an appointment for their services. Thus, it is ideal to inquire with the MECO Taichung office regarding the OWWA appointment and confirm your schedule before you head to their office.
Step by step how to set up an appointment for OWWA payment
Since MECO Taichung does not have an online appointment system, you have three options to inquire and set up an appointment, including
- Go to the MECO official Facebook page at https://facebook.com/MECO.official/
- Check their post regarding the available dates and send them a message.
- Call MECO-OWWA Taichung to inquire about the appointment and ask if your preferred date is available for reservation.
- Contact ahead of your visit if the MECO-OWWA Taichung office is open or your appointment is confirmed. Then, secure all the needed requirements for a successful membership application.
Paying OWWA Membership at MECO-OWWA office in Taichung
Once you’ve ensured that MECO-OWWA Taichung is open on the day of your preferred visit or you’ve confirmed an appointment, complete the requirements for the membership application verification.
You can also pay the OWWA membership fee when you go to the MECO Taichung office. Moreover, if their office requires an appointment for the OWWA membership, don’t forget to bring a copy of your appointment booking confirmation, as it can serve as your gate pass.
Step by step process of paying the OWWA membership
To apply or renew your membership and pay for the contribution fee, follow the steps below when you visit the MECO Taichung office:
- Go to the MECO-OWWA Taichung office on the confirmed date for your visit.
- If an appointment is required, show a copy of the appointment booking confirmation to the security officer.
- Head to the OWWA window to submit the necessary documents and wait for the verification.
- Pay for the OWWA membership and other applicable fees.
- Get the official receipt for the OWWA membership application, and you’re now an automatic member of OWWA.
Reminders during the Day of Appointment in OWWA Taichung
- While there are no details about the OWWA membership application in MECO Taichung, it is ideal for OFWs to follow the reminders listed below to avoid conflicts and ensure a smooth application process, including:
- Please complete the requirements and fill out the forms. Also, you can contact MECO Taichung if they require documents for the OWWA membership application. Then, check if you have complete requirements and arrange them in order. Remember, if you have incomplete requirements, the officer in charge won’t process your membership application.
- Contact the MECO Taichung office before you visit their office. Since there is no specific appointment system for the OWWA membership, it is best to inquire if they require an appointment or if your chosen date of visit is open for the OWWA membership application. Nonetheless, if an OWWA appointment is required, make sure to bring a copy of the booking confirmation sent via email.
- Considering that MECO Taichung is a government office, OFWs should wear proper or smart casual attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- For the verification procedure, make sure to bring your old and new passports.
- Please wear a face mask at all times and maintain a two-meter distance from other individuals.
- Make sure to check the MECO official website and Facebook page for announcements or inquiries.
Video: OWWA Membership in Taichung
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty4lEidI5mE
As seen in the video, there are many ways that OFWs can renew their OWWA membership, from visiting POLO offices to using the OWWA mobile app. The speaker also discussed that OFWs ask their relatives in the Philippines to pay the membership fee if they don’t have the time to do it.
Furthermore, the speaker emphasizes the importance of having an updated OWWA membership for cases like OWS getting into an accident or dying abroad. The OWWA membership provides financial assistance depending on the situation OFWs face. So keeping an active membership is essential when acquiring programs, services, and support.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please check out these common questions about MECO OWWA Taichung and the renewal of the membership process:
1. How can I get OWWA membership in Taichung?
If you’re an OFW in Taichung, you can get an OWWA membership by completing the necessary documents listed above and meeting the qualification requirements set by OWWA. Then, you have to process your OWWA membership application at MECO Taichung.
2. How do I book an appointment with OWWA Taichung?
As of writing, MECO Taichung does not have an available appointment system for the OWWA membership. Since there is no specific detail about an OWWA appointment, you may contact MECO Taichung to set up an appointment or check if their office is available on your preferred date of visit. However, there might be an OWWA appointment system in the future, so better check their Facebook page and website or call them directly to be updated.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
If you want to renew your membership online, download the OWWA mobile app and sign up for an account. Then, log in to your account and click “Renew Membership Here!” for a hassle-free OWWA membership application.
4. How do I check my OWWA membership online?
You can check your membership status online using the OWWA mobile app. Go to your account profile, and below you will see if you’re an “ACTIVE” or “INACTIVE” OWWA member.
5. How much is OWWA membership?
The OWWA membership fee is $25 or NT$ 758, changing depending on the latest foreign exchange rate.
6. How to pay for the OWWA membership online?
For ease of convenience, you can choose to pay the membership fee online. Renew your membership using the OWWA mobile app and choose online payment. Enter the required details, and choose the most convenient mode of payment, like a bank account or an e-wallet payment. On the other hand, if you’re not in the Philippines, you can ask your relatives to pay the membership fee at the nearest OWWA Regional office or payment centers.
7. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Yes, OWWA membership is mandatory for OFWs. You can acquire it during the documenting of overseas employment at POEA.
8. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
No, not all OFWs are members of OWWA. Based on the qualifications set by OWWA, OFWs who are “legal” or documented are only qualified to become members. Thus, undocumented OFWs cannot apply for the OWWA membership. However, they can choose to legalize their employment if they wish to become members of OWWA.
9. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership is only valid for two years since the date of application.
10. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
Your OWWA membership may be inactive if you have surpassed the two-year validity. Also, your membership may be inactive if you switch to work for a new employer or your work visa has expired in less than two years. Since the OWWA membership is only valid for two years under the same employer indicated during the application.
11. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
The benefits provided by OWWA can be avail by registered or active members. It includes varying services like financial assistance, educational and training programs, healthcare, and programs that can benefit the welfare of their dependents.
12. Which bank may be used by OFWs and OWWA to pay for their membership?
For OFWs who want convenient membership applications, you can choose to pay for the OWWA membership fee at the Land Bank of the Philippines. Also, you can pay through Bancnet ATM members, BCRemit and M’Lhuillier.
To sum up, the OWWA appointment and membership in MECO Taichung is accessible for OFWs as you can contact their office in various ways. Moreover, the OWWA membership will provide beneficial services and programs to help the OFWs and their dependents, especially in times of difficulty. Thus, all OFWs in Taichung, Taiwan, are encouraged to update and keep an active OWWA membership status.
Operating Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Tuesday, 8:00 am to 3:30 pm, Wednesday to Friday
Address: Manila Economic & Cultural Office, 239 Min Chuan Road corner Taichung Gang Road, Taichung City, Taiwan
MECO Taichung Contact Number: 04-2322-8835
OWWA: 04-2322-8836 ext. 252
MECO Labor Center: 04-2322-8836 ext. 231
OWWA Taichung Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook Page: https://facebook.com/MECO.official/
Google Map Location
Please see the map guide to the location of MECO-office in Taichung below: