To all Filipino overseas workers who are based in Kaohsiung City in Taiwan, you may apply for OWWA membership by visiting the nearest MECO office in Minzu 1st Rd. The Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO) is the one responsible to assist Pinoys if they have inquiries about PH documents and procedures. Please follow this guide below on how you can set up an appointment and renew your OWWA account.
For other areas in Taiwan, you may visit the other MECO offices depending on your location:
- Schedule OWWA Appointment and Membership in Taichung, Taiwan
- Schedule OWWA Appointment and Membership in Taipei, Taiwan
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) caters benefits to OFWs and their dependents, allowing them access to varying programs and services. The institution can also help OFWs in distress, resolving conflicts with their employer.
It is important that you keep your OWWA membership active in order to avail the benefits and ensure the continuous processing of your claims.
If you plan on working in Taiwan or re-joining an OWWA member here, please make sure you’re a registered member of OWWA.
If you’re an OFW in Kaohsiung without an OWWA membership or it will soon expire, here are the following requirements you need to secure for the membership application, including:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Visa validity exceeding 90 days
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- Photocopy of POLO Verified Employment Contract
- Photocopy of ARC (Alien Registration Card)
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA Membership fee of NT$ 758 or $25 converted to local currency (based on current foreign exchange rate)
- Personal appearance only
Aside from complying with the listed requirements above, OWWA also has qualification criteria for its members. The OWWA requires its members to be actively and continuously working and should be a “legal” or documented OFW acknowledged by POEA with valid visas and work permits. OFWs who have also obtained a permanent residency status from foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens can apply or renew their OWWA membership.
Nonetheless, considering that OWWA only accepts actively and continuously working members, the following individuals are not eligible for the OWWA membership, including:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in MECO Kaohsiung
At present, MECO Kaohsiung does not entertain walk-ins to access its services. Although some OFWs have experience going directly to the office, it is better to contact MECO Kaohsiung for an appointment as their appointment system link at bit.ly/mecokhh does not offer an OWWA appointment service. Thus, it is better to inquire with MECO Kaohsiung to set up an appointment and assure that you have a confirmed booking schedule.
Step by step how to set up an appointment for OWWA payment
Even though there isn’t an OWWA appointment on the MECO Kaohsiung booking link, it is better to inquire about the OWWA Membership Appointment. But there are three ways to book an appointment with MECO Kaohsiung, including:
- Go to the MECO official Facebook page at https://facebook.com/MECO.official/. Check their latest post regarding the available dates and send them a message.
- Call MECO-OWWA Kaohsiung and inquire about the OWWA appointment. You may also ask if your preferred date is available for the appointment.
- Contact the MECO-OWWA Kaohsiung before you visit and confirm your appointment. Afterward, secure the necessary documents to apply or renew your OWWA membership.
Paying OWWA Membership at MECO-OWWA office in Kaohsiung
After you’ve reached out to MECO-OWWA Kaohsiung and you’ve got confirmed an appointment, secure your requirements and fill out the forms, making sure that the details are accurate. Then, you can pay the OWWA membership fee when you visit the MECO Kaohsiung office. Also, if an appointment is necessary, make sure to bring a copy of your appointment booking confirmation sent to your email as it will serve as your gate pass to enter the MECO Kaohsiung.
Step by step process of paying the OWWA membership
Whether you’re a first time member or renewing your OWWA membership, here is the following process that you need to do during your visit to the MECO Kaohsiung office:
- Visit the MECO-OWWA Kaohsiung office on the date of your appointment.
- If their office requires an OWWA appointment, present to the security officer the appointment booking confirmation.
- Go to the OWWA window and submit the necessary documents to be verified.
- Pay the OWWA membership and other applicable fees.
- Claim the official receipt for the OWWA membership application, and you’re now an active member of OWWA.
Reminders during the Day of Appointment in OWWA Kaohsiung
Before you head to the MECO-OWWA Kaohsiung office, take note of the following reminders below to have a smooth and successful OWWA membership application, including:
- Please make sure that your requirements are complete and the forms are duly-accomplished. You may also ask MECO Kaohsiung if additional requirements for the OWWA membership application. After securing the required documents, check if it’s in order and complete as individuals with incomplete requirements won’t be handled by the officer in charge to process their OWWA membership.
- Get in touch with the MECO Kaohsiung before you head to their office and set up an appointment. Considering that the OWWA Appointment is not on the list of services, you have to contact MECO Kaohsiung to inquire about an appointment. In addition, if they require an appointment for the OWWA membership, take a screenshot of the appointment booking confirmation sent to your email. Bring it on the day of your visit, serving as your gate pass.
- Since MECO Kaohsiung is a government office, OFWs should wear appropriate or smart casual attire. The office strictly prohibits wearing sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers. By wearing the following, you may not be allowed to enter the office.
- Make sure to bring your old and new passports for verification.
- Please wear a face mask at all times and maintain a two-meter distance from other individuals.
- Regularly check the MECO official Facebook page and website for more details and inquiries.
Video: OWWA Membership in Kaohsiung
For more details on the OWWA membership and appointment in MECO Kaohsiung, please watch the video below:
As stated in the video, the speaker was able to go directly to the MECO Kaohsiung, Taiwan. The OWWA membership form is also available at the information desk and where the officer in charge will request your passport and ARC. Thus, it is better to contact MECO Kaohsiung before you visit as their rules for an appointment may vary depending on the pandemic restrictions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check out these common questions about MECO OWWA Kaohsiung and the renewal of the membership process:
1. How can I get OWWA membership in Kaohsiung?
If you’re an OFW based in Kaohsiung, you can get an OWWA membership by complying with the requirements listed above. You also have to meet OWWA’s qualification requirements for its members before you can apply or renew your membership. Afterward, you have to contact MECO Kaohsiung for an appointment to apply for the OWWA membership.
2. How do I book an appointment with OWWA Kaohsiung?
As of writing, MECO Kaohsiung does not accept walk-ins to avail of their services. However, their appointing booking link does not offer the OWWA Membership Application service. Thus, you have to contact them to check the available dates and secure an appointment for the OWWA membership. It is also ideal to check their official Facebook page and website to see the latest announcement.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
On the other hand, you may choose to renew your membership online by downloading the OWWA mobile app. Sign up and log in to your account. Below the profile icon, click “Renew Membership Here!” to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How do I check my OWWA membership online?
If you want to check your membership status, log in to your account at the OWWA mobile app. Below the profile icon, you will see whether you’re an “ACTIVE” or “INACTIVE” member of OWWA.
5. How much is OWWA membership?
The OWWA membership fee is $25 or NT$ 758, changing depending on the latest foreign exchange rate.
6. How to pay for the OWWA membership online?
If you choose to renew your membership using the OWWA mobile app, you can also pay the membership fee online. To do so, click “Renew Membership Here!” and fill out the required fields. Then, choose from the payment options, such as a bank account or an e-wallet payment. Nonetheless, you can also let your relatives pay the OWWA membership if you’re not in the Philippines. You only need to generate a transaction code and let them pay the membership fee at the nearest OWWA Regional office or payment centers.
7. Which bank may be used by OFWs and OWWA to pay for their membership?
For OWWA membership online payment, you can pay through the Land Bank of the Philippines and Bancnet ATM members. You can also pay via BCRemit and M’Lhuiller.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Yes, OWWA membership is mandatory for OFWs and can be acquired during documentation of overseas employment with POEA.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
No, not all OFW are OWWA members. Since OWWA has qualification requirements that its members are “legal” or “documented” workers before applying for the membership. On the other hand, OFWs without legal employment can document their overseas employment to be qualified for the OWWA membership.
10. Do I need to renew my OWWA membership?
Yes, it is essential to renew your OWWA membership before or as it expires. Since the OWWA membership can guarantee you and your dependents to avail of the services, programs, and supports provided by the institution.
11. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
There are varying benefits provided by OWWA, from educational training to financial loans, available to registered or active members of the institution. Thus, it is essential to keep your membership active to ensure access to the OWWA benefits.
12. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership is only valid for two years, starting and ending from the date of application.
13. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
Your OWWA membership may be inactive if you have exceeded the two-year validity. Another reason for your membership to expire is if your work visa expired, or you switch to work for a new employer in less than two years. Since the OWWA membership two-year validity only applies for the same employer listed on the application.
Overall, the OWWA membership and appointment in MECO Kaohsiung will differ from time to time due to the pandemic. That’s why OFWs in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, should always check their official Facebook page and website for more updates. It is also better to contact them to ensure whether an appointment is necessary or not.
Operating Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Tuesday
8:00 am to 3:30 pm, Wednesday to Friday
Address: 807, Taiwan, Kaohsiung City, Sanmin District, Minzu 1st Rd, 80號9F 長谷世貿聯合國大樓(Grand 50 Tower)
MECO Kaohsiung Telephone Number: (886) 7-3985935 to 36
OWWA Telephone Number: 07-3982-475
Consular Telephone Number: 07-3985-935
MECO Labor Center Telephone Number: 07-3987-078
Website: https://www.meco.org.tw/, https://www.meco-labor.org.tw/
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/MECO.official
Google Map Location
Please see the map guide to the location of MECO-office in Kaohsiung below: