For OFWs in New Zealand who are wondering how to renew their membership or become members of the OWWA, please be advised that the nearest POLO office is in Wellington. In this article, we’ve summarized a detailed guide about the OWWA membership appointment and renewal in New Zealand, so keep on reading.
Also Read: OFW Guide: Become an OWWA Member
Filipinos should be able to renew their OWWA so they can get the maximum benefits available to them. They should also know the OWWA policies and guidelines so they can understand how to get maximum benefits from their account.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) helps OFWs by providing them with financial assistance and other benefits, especially during times of crisis.. To avail of OWWA membership, you need to appoint a representative who will assist you throughout the process.
In New Zealand, please follow the guidelines below on how you can activate your OWWA membership.
Becoming an OWWA member or renewing membership for OFWs in New Zealand is easy as complying with the following requirements listed below:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Visa validity exceeding 90 days
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- Photocopy of POLO Verified Employment Contract
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA Membership fee of NZD 35.00 or $25 converted to local currency (based on current foreign exchange rate)
- Personal appearance only
Although OWWA aims to help OFWs across the globe, the institution has qualification requirements for its members. OWWA requires its members to be actively and continuously working and are “legal” or “documented” OFW acknowledged by POEA with valid work permits and visas. Also, OFWs who were granted permanent residency status by foreign countries and are still Filipino citizens can apply or renew their OWWA membership.
Nonetheless, considering that the institution requires actively and continuously working members, the following individuals are not qualified to apply or renew their OWWA membership, including:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in New Zealand
There are three booking systems available at the official website of the Philippine Embassy New Zealand, including the Wellington Embassy, Auckland Consulate, and Christchurch Consulate. However, there is no service for the OWWA Membership Appointment.
So the best way to ensure that you can renew or apply for the OWWA membership is to contact POLO New Zealand. You may also request a walk-in application and inquire by emailing email@example.com or calling the Philippine Embassy in New Zealand.
Step by step how to set up an appointment for OWWA payment
While there is no appointment system for the OWWA membership, you can book an appointment with POLO New Zealand or the Philippine Embassy in New Zealand. To do so, follow the steps below:
- To book an appointment with POLO New Zealand, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Check your membership status and inquire regarding the available dates for the OWWA membership appointment.
- You may receive an appointment schedule and confirm with them based on your availability. Also, make sure to book an appointment at the specific location you’re based if you’re in Wellington, Christchurch, or Auckland.
- To request a walk-in application, you may email the Philippine Embassy in New Zealand at email@example.com. In addition, you can call them for urgent matters at their 24/7 hotline (0064) 022 074 6517 and telephone numbers.
Paying OWWA Membership at POLO-OWWA office in Wellington, New Zealand
After confirming your appointment for the membership, make sure to take a screenshot of the appointment booking confirmation sent to your email. Bring it on the day of your visit to the POLO-OWWA New Zealand office. Then, you can pay the membership fee once you’re verified.
Furthermore, the Philippine Embassy and other offices in New Zealand will now require OFWs with an appointment to show their New Zealand Ministry of Health Vaccine following the Covid-19 Protection Framework (CPF) of the Government of New Zealand. Present it at the entry gate, so make sure to bring it with your appointment booking confirmation.
Step by step process of paying the OWWA membership
To apply or renew for the OWWA membership and pay for the membership fee, follow the steps below when you go to the POLO-OWWA office in New Zealand:
- Head to the POLO-OWWA New Zealand office (Wellington/ Christchurch/ Auckland) on the day of your appointment.
- Present a copy of your appointment booking confirmation and the New Zealand Ministry of Health Vaccine to the security officer for verification.
- Proceed to the OWWA window and submit your complete requirements for verification.
- Pay for the OWWA membership and other applicable fees.
- Claim the official receipt for the OWWA membership application, and you’re now an active member of OWWA.
Reminders during the Day of Appointment in OWWA New Zealand
Since there is no clear information regarding the OWWA membership appointment and renewal in New Zealand, OFWs should follow the reminders listed below to ensure a successful membership application, including:
- Make sure that your requirements are complete and the forms duly accomplished. You may also contact the specific office of POLO-OWWA in New Zealand, including Wellington, Christchurch, or Auckland if they have other requirements for the OWWA membership application. Afterward, complete your documents and arrange them in order. Keep in mind that if you submit incomplete requirements, the officer in charge will not process your membership application.
- Contact the POLO-OWWA New Zealand office or the Philippine Embassy in New Zealand to book an appointment. Take a screenshot of the appointment booking confirmation sent to your email, as the officer in charge may request it from the entry gate.
- On the other hand, even if there is no available appointment system for the OWWA Membership Application service, it is advised to check the official Facebook page and website of the Philippine Embassy in New Zealand for the latest announcement.
- OFWs with appointments should present their New Zealand Ministry of Health Vaccine at the entry gate following the Covid-19 safety protocols in New Zealand.
- OFWs visiting the POLO-OWWA New Zealand offices should wear proper or smart casual attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- Please wear a face mask at all times and maintain a two-meter distance from other individuals.
Video: OWWA Membership Guide via Mobile App
For more details on the OWWA Membership, please watch the video below:
As seen in the video, renewing your membership with OWWA mobile app is very convenient. You only have to download it on your mobile device, create an account, and log in. Below your profile name, you can see whether your membership is still active or inactive. If your OWWA membership is inactive, click “Renew Membership Here!”. Follow the procedure and pay the membership fee. Once your payment is confirmed, your membership status will become active.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check out these common questions about POLO OWWA Wellington, New Zealand and the renewal of the membership process:
1. How can I get OWWA membership in New Zealand?
For OFWs in New Zealand who wants to become OWWA members, you can apply for the membership by complying with the requirements and qualification criteria listed above. Afterward, you can proceed with the OWWA membership application by visiting the POLO New Zealand office.
2. How do I book an appointment with OWWA New Zealand?
Since it is not clear whether or not an appointment is needed to renew the OWWA membership in New Zealand, you have to contact the POLO office or the Philippine Embassy in New Zealand for inquiries. You may book an appointment through the POLO office and Philippine Embassy in New Zealand by email or call them at their telephone numbers listed below on the contact details.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
If you wish to renew your membership at the comfort of your home, download the OWWA mobile app. Sign up and log in to your account. On the profile section, click “Renew Membership Here!”.
4. How do I check my OWWA membership online?
To check your membership status, log in to the OWWA mobile app. Look below the profile icon, and you will see if you’re an “ACTIVE” or “INACTIVE” member of OWWA.
5. How much is OWWA membership?
The OWWA membership fee is $25 or NZD 35.00, changing depending on the latest foreign exchange rate.
6. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
Yes, you can pay for the OWWA membership online. Using the OWWA mobile app, renew your membership and fill out the transaction details. Then, choose an online payment method like an online bank or e-wallet to pay the OWWA membership fee.
You may also let your relatives in the Philippines pay the membership fee if you’re not in the country. To do so, generate a transaction code and send it to them. They can pay the membership fee at the nearest OWWA Regional office or payment centers.
7. Which bank may be used by OFWs and OWWA to pay for their membership?
If it’s your first time paying the OWWA membership online, you can pay at the Land Bank of the Philippines and other members of Bancnet ATM. You may also pay at BCRemit and M’Lhuillier.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
Yes, OWWA membership is mandatory for all OFWs who have processed their overseas employment with POEA.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFWs are OWWA members since the institution only accepts legal working members. Thus, OFWs who are undocumented are not members of OWWA. However, they can apply for the OWWA membership once they’ve documented their employment.
10. How long is OWWA membership valid?
The OWWA membership is valid for two years, lasting on the date of the application.
11. Do I need to renew my OWWA membership?
Yes, you need to renew your OWWA membership to access the benefits provided by the institution. Moreover, the OWWA membership is essential, especially if you have problems in your host country.
12. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
Your OWWA membership may become inactive when you surpass the two-year validity. In addition, your membership may become inactive if your work visa is expired or you switch to work for a new employer. Based on the rules of OWWA, the two-year membership validity only applies to the same employer indicated during the application.
13. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
Active or registered members of OWWA can avail of the benefits, including educational and training programs, healthcare, financial assistance, and other supports designed for the OFW dependents.
Overall, the OWWA membership appointment and renewal process in New Zealand is easy. Follow the steps on this guide, complete your requirements, and remember the reminders when conducting business at POLO New Zealand. Thus, we encouraged all OFWs in New Zealand to renew their membership to access the OWWA benefits.
POLO-OWWA Wellington, New Zealand
Operating Hours: 9:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Level 1, 286 Thorndon Quay, Pipitea, Wellington, New Zealand
POLO Telephone Number: (00644) 260 1161
Philippine Embassy New Zealand Telephone Numbers: (04) 8903741, (04) 8903742, (04) 8903744
Emails: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHLinNZ
Google Map Location
Please see the map guide to the location of POLO-office in Wellington below: