For OFWs in Malta, renewing your OWWA membership is necessary to access benefits from OWWA. We also encourage you to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership if you’re an OFW who has acquired employment via a visit visa in Malta. And if you’re wondering what requirements and procedures you need to go through, read our in-depth guide for OWWA membership in Malta.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies confirm OFWs’ legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
By applying for OWWA membership, OFWs and their dependents can avail of varying services, programs, and support to assist their career, education, and living condition. OWWA also provide OFWs with financial aid during calamities and legal assistance if they suffer conflicts with their employers. Furthermore, active OWWA members can access varying programs, from educational training to livelihood.
The membership is also a sort of insurance, delivering OFWs with medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encourage OFWs in Malta to renew or apply for OWWA membership to access the maximum benefits OWWA has to offer.
According to a Facebook post of the Philippine Embassy in Italy, here are the following documentary requirements OFWs in Malta should secure for OWWA membership application in POLO Rome:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Original and photocopy of valid Philippine passport with signature (showing data page)
- Proof of Confirmed Appointment schedule (For on-site application)
- Valid Work/ Residence Permit:
- Permit to Stay for Work (Permesso di Soggiorno)
- Permit to Stay for Family Reasons (Motivo Familiari)
- Permanent Residents (Carta Di Soggiorno)
- Copy of valid Employment Contract/ Lavoro Subordinato (For regular workers)
- Photocopy of the following Proof of Present Employment:
- Company ID
- Verified Contract
- Copy of latest payslip
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- Copy of Employment Contract/ Denuncia Rapporto di Lavoro (For new members)
- Oath of Allegiance and Identification Certificate (For OFWs with dual citizenship)
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to Euro based on the foreign exchange rate.
Since the mandate of OWWA is to protect and promote the welfare of OFWs and their dependents, the programs and services OWWA offers benefit all their needs. However, not all can apply for OWWA membership since OWWA has qualification criteria that should be met and maintained by its members. OWWA requires its members to have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas.
OFWs that have also obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment are qualified for OWWA membership. On the contrary, the following individuals who cannot meet and maintain OWWA’s qualification criteria include employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Malta
As of writing, Malta doesn’t have an online appointment for OWWA membership since this country doesn’t have a designated POLO. Malta is under the jurisdiction of POLO-OWWA Rome. Thus, OFWs in Malta may refer to POLO-OWWA Rome for labor-related services and concerns.
Furthermore, POLO Rome has an online appointment system for OWWA membership. However, it’s unclear if OFWs in Malta can use it to apply on-site for OWWA membership at POLO Rome. So for more details, it is better to contact POLO Rome and the Philippine Honorary Consulate in Swatar.
But if you’re in the Philippines, you can book an appointment at DMW or the nearest OWWA Regional office to process your OWWA membership.
Applying for OWWA Membership in Malta
Based on the latest details online, OFWs may apply for OWWA membership with POLO Rome and through Consular Outreach Mission conducted in Malta. These two processes are both on-site and require an appointment.
So OFWs in Malta should contact the Philippine Honorary Consulate in Swatar, the Philippine Embassy in Italy, and POLO-OWWA Rome for more details. You can also contact your agency to request assistance with the OWWA membership application.
Another easy and convenient process is to renew your membership through the OWWA mobile app. This process is more recommended than an on-site application, allowing OFWs to renew their OWWA membership online anytime and anywhere.
Paying OWWA Membership in Malta
Since there are three ways to process OWWA membership in Malta, the same goes for paying the contribution fee. If processing your OWWA membership at POLO Rome or Consular Outreach Mission in Malta, you can pay the contribution fee on-site if you’re qualified for OWWA membership.
Moreover, you have different options to pay the OWWA membership fee if you choose to renew your membership via OWWA mobile app. You can pay the contribution fee online through the bank and e-wallet. However, if you don’t have any of these, you can pay at over-the-counter payment centers in the Philippines. If you’re not on vacation, you can ask your relatives in the Philippines to pay the contribution fee by giving them the generated reference number and transaction details.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via On-site at POLO Rome
- Visit the official website of POLO Rome or book an appointment through the online Appointment Reservations portal.
- Look for OWWA Membership and click the Schedule Appointment button.
- Select your preferred appointment date and time and click Confirm.
- Enter your First Name, Last Name, Email, and Philippine Mobile Number, and click Schedule Event.
- Next, go to your email to take a screenshot or print the confirmed appointment schedule.
- Head to POLO Rome and present your proof of appointment schedule.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
- Once qualified, pay the OWWA membership fee and collect your official receipt.
Note: It’s unclear whether or not OFWs in Malta can use the online Appointment Reservations portal to apply on-site at POLO Rome. So before booking an appointment for an on-site OWWA membership application, confirm with POLO Rome if this process is applicable for OFWs in Malta.
Via Consular Outreach Mission
- Contact the Philippine Honorary Consulate in Swatar and POLO-OWWA Rome for the schedule of the Consular Outreach Mission in Malta.
- Book an appointment on the designated link or at POLO Events Registration.
- Secure your requirements and a printout of your confirmed appointment schedule sent through email.
- Go to the designated application site on the day of your appointment.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and collect your official receipt.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Malta
Please take note of the following reminders to renew or apply for OWWA membership in Malta:
- As of writing, Malta is under the jurisdiction of POLO-OWWA Rome, assisting OFWs with labor-related services and concerns.
- OFWs in Malta can process their OWWA membership with POLO-OWWA Rome, Consular Outreach Mission, or OWWA mobile app.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours from the visit.
- We advise OFWs in Malta to contact the Philippine Honorary Consulate in Swarta, the Philippine Embassy in Italy, and POLO-OWWA Rome for more information. You may also visit their official websites and Facebook pages for the latest updates.
Video: OWWA MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL Procedure
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, renewing OWWA membership online is convenient through the OWWA mobile app. Just click the Renew Membership Here button if you have inactive status. Then, renew the membership every 2-years. In short, renewing OWWA membership online shouldn’t be a problem with the OWWA mobile app.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Malta?
As of writing, Malta doesn’t have an online OWWA appointment.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Malta?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Malta through POLO-OWWA Rome, Consular Outreach Mission, or OWWA mobile app.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Malta?
The OWWA membership fee in Malta is US$25.00 converted to Euro based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
With all the benefits included with the OWWA membership, OFWs should ensure an active membership status to enjoy the available services, programs, and support OWWA offers.
So if you’re an OFW in Malta, you may refer to this guide to process your OWWA membership. Also, don’t forget to contact the relevant offices for more details and the latest application procedures.
Philippine Honorary Consulate in Swatar, Malta
Operating Hours: 8:00 am – 1:00 pm, Monday to Thursday
Address: The Penthouse, Tower Business Centre, Tower Street, Swatar, BKR 4013, Malta – EU
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064786713816
Telephone Number: +356 2557 2127
Philippine Embassy in Rome, Italy
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Via Aurelia 290A, Rome, Italy, Rome, Italy
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinItaly
Telephone Number: +39 06 3974 6621
Emergency Hotline: +39 334 658 2118
POLO-OWWA Rome, Italy
Operating Hours: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Via Aurelia 290A, Rome, Italy
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/POLORomeIT
POLO Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
OWWA Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (General inquiries), email@example.com (OWWA COVID-19 Assistance and other member services)
Telephone Number: +39 06 557 5702