If you’re applying for the first time or renewing your OWWA membership in Egypt, this article is for you. We’ve created an in-depth guide regarding the OWWA membership application process in Egypt. In addition, we’ve listed below the contact details of relevant offices you may ask for assistance with OWWA membership. So keep reading to learn how to process your OWWA membership in Egypt.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is an agency attached to the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE). This agency is mandated by the Philippine government to promote and ensure OFWs’ safety and their dependents worldwide. Furthermore, the agency offers a membership program to OFWs, featuring access to services and support to improve their livelihood and well-being and assist in their dependent education.
OWWA benefits are designed to meet OFWs’ needs and assist active members suffering from financial or legal problems. Aside from that, it acts as OFW’s insurance by providing medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. With that said, we encourage OFWs in Egypt to renew their OWWA membership and those who have obtained employment via a visit visa to apply voluntarily.
Here are the following primary documentary requirements OFWs in Egypt should secure for OWWA membership application:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Original and copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of the Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to EGP based on the foreign exchange rate.
With the membership program OWWA offers, OFWs and their dependents can access varying benefits that can assist their livelihood, health, and education. Thus, many OFWs want to become OWWA members. However, not everyone can become a member due to OWWA’s imposed qualification criteria. OFWs should have active and continuous work and are e “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas to become OWWA members.
Moreover, OWWA accepts OFWs who have acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries as long as they remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment. On the contrary, OFWs who cannot meet and maintain the qualification criteria are not eligible to apply for or even renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Egypt
As of writing, Egypt doesn’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership or a designated POLO to assist OFWs with labor-related concerns and services. But the Philippine Embassy in Cairo, Egypt, conducts Consular Outreach Missions, which may require an appointment.
Also, since it’s unclear if they process on-site OWWA membership registration and renewal, we advise OFWs to contact the Philippine Embassy in Egypt for further inquiries. Meanwhile, the nearest POLO from Egypt is located in Israel and Jordan. So OFWs may contact their offices too.
But if vacationing in the Philippines, you may contact DMW or OWWA Regional office to confirm if an appointment is still necessary for OWWA membership.
Applying for OWWA membership in Egypt
Considering there is no relevant information on OWWA membership in Egypt, we advise OFWs to contact the Philippine Embassy in Cairo. Verify if they process OWWA membership on-site during their Consular Outreach Mission.
You may also process your OWWA membership at DMW or OWWWA Regional office when vacationing in the Philippines. Another way is via OWWA mobile app, which is recommended if you want a more convenient process. This app allows you to renew your OWWA membership online.
Paying OWWA Membership in Egypt
Although there is limited information regarding OWWA membership in Egypt, OFWs have two ways to pay the contribution fee. First, process your OWWA membership on-site through Consular Outreach Mission, DMW, or OWWA Regional office. Then, you can pay the OWWA membership fee on-site the same day you applied if you’re qualified.
The second way is through the OWWA mobile app. If you process your membership through this, you can pay the OWWA membership fee via an online bank, e-wallet, or over-the-counter payment centers in the Philippines. Additionally, you can ask your relatives in the Philippines to pay the contribution fee by providing the generated reference number of your request.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via Consular Outreach Mission (Philippine Embassy in Egypt)
- Contact the Philippine Embassy in Egypt.
- Book an appointment for on-site OWWA membership registration and renewal.
- Print or take a screenshot of the confirmed appointment schedule sent to your email.
- Complete the documentary requirements for application.
- Visit the designated application site on the day of your appointment.
- Submit your documentary requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and claim the official receipt of your payment.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Egypt
Please take note of the following reminders if you’re renewing or applying for OWWA membership in Egypt:
- As of writing, Egypt doesn’t have a designated POLO. The nearest POLO is located in Israel and Jordan.
- OFWs in Egypt may process their OWWA membership via Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. Applicants cannot enter the premise wearing strictly prohibited outfits, including sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test took 48 hours from the visit.
- We advise OFWs in Egypt to contact the Philippine Embassy in Egypt, POLO Israel, POLO Jordan, and their agency for inquiries and assistance on OWWA membership. Also, don’t forget to check their official websites and Facebook pages for the latest announcements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Egypt?
As of writing, there is no online appointment system for OWWA membership in Egypt.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Egypt?
You may renew your OWWA membership in Egypt through Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Egypt?
The OWWA membership fee in Egypt is US$25.00 converted to EGP based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online on OWWA mobile app via an online bank or e-wallet.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFWs. Since OWWA has imposed qualification criteria that applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: PAANO MAG RENEW NG OWWA MEMBERSHIP ONLINE AT PAANO MAGBAYAD NG OWWA TRU GCASH | Kyla’s TV
Please watch the video below for more information on OWWA membership:
As discussed in the video, OFWs no longer have to visit POLO and OWWA offices to renew their OWWA membership. Using the OWWA mobile app, OFWs can renew their OWWA membership online. Just download the app on your device and log in to your account.
All in all, OFWs in Egypt should ensure their OWWA membership is active to enjoy maximum OWWA benefits. We also advised OFWs to use the OWWA mobile app if only renewing their OWWA membership. Also, note that there is no information online regarding OWWA membership in Egypt. Thus, we advise OFWs to contact the relevant offices for more details.
Philippine Embassy in Cairo, Egypt
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 2:00 pm, Sunday to Thursday
Address: Building 9, Street 215 corner Street 217, Degla Maadi, Cairo
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinEgypt
Telephone Number: (+20) 128-895-1110
Operating Hours: 8:30 am to 4:40 pm, Sunday to Thursday
Address: Rehov Bnei Dan 18, Tel Aviv-Yafo, 62260 Israel
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinIsrael/
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Philippine Embassy Telephone Number: +972-3-601-0514
POLO Telephone Number: +9723-544-4531
OWWA Telephone Number: +9723-602-2496
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, Sunday to Monday
Address: No. 113 Al Manar Bldg, Khalil Yassin al Talhoni St., Hay-diyar Dier Ghabar, Amman, Jordan
Facebook Pages: https://web.facebook.com/PHLinJordan/, https://web.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100079909880497
Emails: Labor Attaché- firstname.lastname@example.org, Welfare Officer- email@example.com
Telephone Numbers: +962 6 593 038564, +962 6 593 0385