For OFWs in Kenya whose OWWA membership has expired, we advise renewing your membership to access OWWA benefits. We also encourage OFWs in Kenya who have obtained employment via a visit visa to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership. And if you’re wondering how to apply for OWWA membership in Kenya, read our in-depth guide on the application process. We also listed the contact details of relevant offices that can assist you in the process, so keep reading.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies confirm OFWs’ legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
The OWWA membership is a government program that provides OFWs services and supports to improve their livelihood and well-being and assist in their dependent education. In addition, OWWA members can seek legal assistance if they have employer issues and financial aid during difficulties. OWWA also serve as OFW’s insurance providing them medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encourage OFWs in Kenya to renew or apply for OWWA membership to access maximum OWWA benefits.
If you’re planning to apply for or renew your OWWA membership in Kenya, here are the primary documentary requirements you should secure:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of Employment Contract or any of the following proof of present employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Permit to Stay or Work Permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to KES based on the foreign exchange rate
Many OFWs wish to apply for OWWA membership since OWWA provides services and assistance to their members and dependents, from education, livelihood, and career. However, OFWs should meet the qualification criteria of OWWA to apply for or renew their OWWA membership. OFWs applying for OWWA membership should have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas.
Furthermore, OWWA accepts OFWs who have acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment. However, OFWs who don’t meet the qualification criteria cannot apply for or renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Kenya
As of writing, Kenya doesn’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership since this country doesn’t have a designated POLO. So OFWs in Kenya should contact the Philippine Embassy in Nairobi as they conduct a Consular Outreach Mission, which may require an appointment.
In addition, the nearest POLO offices from Kenya are in Rabat, Morocco, and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Nonetheless, we advise OFWs to contact the said offices since it’s unclear if Kenya is under their jurisdiction. Lastly, you can process your membership by booking an appointment with DMW or OWWA Regional offices in the Philippines during your vacation.
Applying for OWWA Membership in Kenya
The official website and Facebook page of the Philippine Embassy in Kenya doesn’t have any relevant information about OWWA membership. However, they conduct a Consular Outreach Mission in countries under their jurisdiction. So OFWs in Kenya should contact the Philippine Embassy in Nairobi for more information.
Additionally, OFWs vacationing in the Philippines can apply for membership at DMW or OWWA Regional office. If you choose this process, contact the relevant offices to confirm the latest requirements for OWWA membership. But you can use the OWWA mobile app to renew your membership if you’re looking for the most convenient process.
Paying OWWA Membership in Kenya
Based on the available details from the Philippine Embassy in Kenya, they perform a Consular Outreach Mission. Thus, OFWs in Kenya can pay the contribution fee on-site if this process includes the OWWA membership registration and renewal. So contact them to verify this process is available before following the steps below.
You can also pay the OWWA membership fee on-site if processing with DMW or OWWA Regional office. But paying the OWWA membership fee is convenient through the OWWA mobile app since you can pay with an online bank, e-wallet, or over-the-counter payment centers in the Philippines. Moreover, your relatives in the Philippines can pay the OWWA membership fee by providing the reference number.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via On-site /Consular Outreach Mission (Philippine Embassy in Kenya)
- Contact the Philippine Embassy in Kenya.
- Book an appointment for OWWA membership.
- Print a copy of your confirmed appointment and secure the documentary requirements.
- Visit the designated application site on the day of your appointment.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and collect the official receipt.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Kenya
Please keep in mind the following reminders for OWWA membership in Kenya:
- As of writing, Kenya doesn’t have a designated POLO. The nearest POLO-OWWA offices are in Rabat, Morocco, and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- OFWs in Kenya may process their OWWA membership through the Consular Outreach Mission conducted by the Philippine Embassy in Nairobi, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours from the visit.
- We advise OFWs to contact the Philippine Embassy in Kenya, the nearest POLO offices, and their agency for assistance on the OWWA membership application process. Also, don’t forget to visit their official website and Facebook pages for the latest announcements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Kenya?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Kenya.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Kenya?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Kenya through Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Kenya?
The OWWA membership fee in Kenya is US$25.00 converted to KES based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: How to Renew Owwa membership online | Miss Jhin
For more information on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, you can process your OWWA membership using the OWWA mobile app. Moreover, active members’ dependents can also apply for scholarship programs from OWWA to assist in their education. Thus, OWWA membership will benefit OFWs and their family.
To sum up, renewing the OWWA membership is essential for OFWs to access support and services, especially in difficulties or unexpected events. Also, since there is limited information online regarding the application, OFWs in Kenya should contact the relevant office for OWWA membership inquiries.
Philippine Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, from Monday to Friday
Address: 001 Mzima Springs, Lavington, Nairobi, Kenya
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHLinKenya
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone Number: +254 734 450001
POLO-OWWA Rabat, Morocco
Operating Hours: 9:00 to 6:00 pm (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday at Rabat)
10:00 am to 2:00 pm (Every Thursday at the Honorary Consulate Casablanca)
Address: #1 Avenue Al Arz, Block 1 Sector 8, Hay Riyad, Rabat, Morocco 10100
24/7 Hotline: +212-660333587
Office Landline Number: +212-808568852
Mobile Number: +212-660764577 (For OWWA Membership)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (For Welfare Concerns)
Website: https://polorabat.dole.gov.ph/, https://rabatpe.dfa.gov.ph/
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/polo.rabat2
Address: 3267 Makkah Al Mukarramah Branch Road, Al Mutamarat, Riyadh 12711 8103
Website: https: https://poloksa-ph.com/, https://riyadhpe.dfa.gov.ph/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Polo-Owwa-Riyadh-2021-103598298509929/
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hotline Number: +966 50 285 0944