For OFWs in Argentina whose OWWA membership is about to expire, renewing your membership is essential to ensure access to OWWA benefits. We also encouraged OFWs in Argentina who obtained employment via a visit visa to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership. And if you’re having difficulties with the application process, we’ve created an in-depth guide on OWWA membership in Argentina. We also gathered the contact details of relevant offices that can help you, so read on.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies confirm OFWs’ legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
With the OWWA membership, OFWs can access programs, services, and assistance that can help them and their dependents, from education to livelihood. Furthermore, active OWWA members can seek a financial grant in times of distress and legal assistance for employer issues. OWWA also act as OFWs’ insurance, providing them with medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encourage OFWs in Argentina to renew or apply for OWWA membership to enjoy OWWA benefits.
If you’re an OFW in Argentina and you wish to renew or apply for OWWA membership, here are the following documentary requirements you must comply with as per POLO Washington:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment, such as:
- Valid Visa and Work Permit
- Employment offer
- Latest payslip
- Certificate of Employment from the company or employer
- Company ID
- Other relevant employment documents
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 converted to ARS based on the foreign exchange rate.
Note: POLO Washington doesn’t accept personnel checks or credit/debit card payments. So OFWs processing their OWWA membership at POLO Washington should pay the contribution fee to OWWA through non-cash payment US Money Order or Bank Draft. You should also include a self-addressed/stamped/prepaid return envelope for mail transactions with POLO Washington.
OWWA offers many benefits to OFWs and their dependents. But not all OFWs can become members due to the qualification criteria imposed by OWWA. OFWs should have active and continuous employment and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas to qualify as OWWA members.
OWWA also accepts OFWs who have acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries and retain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent jobs. On the other hand, the following individuals don’t meet OWWA’s qualification criteria, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Argentina
As of writing, an online appointment system for OWWA membership in Argentina isn’t available. This country also doesn’t have a designated POLO. So OFWs in Argentina may contact the Philippine Embassy in Buenos Aires and their agency for inquiries and assistance on OWWA membership.
In addition, the nearest POLO offices from Argentina are in Washington and California, handling labor-related concerns and services for OFWs. But as stated on the official website of the Philippine Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina, OFWs may personally register for OWWA membership at POLO Washington.
For an appointment, you may contact the Philippine Embassy or POLO-OWWA in Washington for on-site OWWA membership registration and renewal. Meanwhile, OFWs vacationing in the Philippines may book an appointment with DMW or OWWA Regional office.
Applying for OWWA membership in Argentina
Based on the Philippine Embassy in Argentina, OFWs may process their OWWA membership with POLO Washington through on-site registration, regular mail, or email. For the on-site application, you may process your OWWA membership at the POLO Washington office or through Consular Outreach Mission.
If via email or regular mail, secure the documentary requirements and follow the payment instructions below for the OWWA membership fee. However, since the details online aren’t updated, we advise OFWs in Argentina to contact the relevant offices to confirm the latest process for OWWA membership.
Aside from that, OFWs may renew their membership online anytime by downloading the OWWA mobile app on their device. You can also use the OWWA mobile app for convenience if applying on-site doesn’t work for you.
Paying OWWA Membership in Argentina
You can pay the OWWA membership fee on-site when processing through POLO Washington, Consular Outreach Mission, DMW, or OWWA Regional office. If via email or regular mail, follow the payment instructions provided by POLO Washington. But if using the OWWA mobile app, you can pay the OWWA membership fee via an online bank, e-wallet, or payment center in the Philippines.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via Email (For POLO Washington)
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Complete and scan the requirements.
- Email your documentary requirements to email@example.com.
- If your application is approved, follow the instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee sent to your email.
- Take a screenshot of the OWWA membership fee payment receipt and send it to OWWA’s email to receive an email e-copy of your official receipt.
- Then, email OWWA to set an appointment for pick up to claim your OWWA membership’s original official receipt.
Via On-Site Application/Consular Outreach Mission (For POLO Washington)
- Contact POLO Washington to confirm if the appointment is necessary or if walk-in applicants are accepted. For Consular Outreach Mission, book an appointment with POLO Washington.
- Visit the POLO Washington office or the exact location for Consular Outreach Mission.
- Head to the OWWA counter and present your requirements for evaluation.
- If you’re qualified, pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, claim your OWWA membership official receipt.
Via Regular Mail (For POLO Washington)
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Secure and photocopy the requirements.
- Ensure that the documents are complete.
- Add a self-addressed, stamped, and prepaid on the return envelope.
- Mail your requirements to the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), Embassy of the Philippines, 1600 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington DC, 20036.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Argentina
Please take note of the following reminders when processing your OWWA membership in Argentina:
- As of writing, Argentina doesn’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership or a designated POLO. The nearest POLO offices are in Washington and California.
- OFWs in Argentina may process their OWWA membership with POLO Washington through on-site registration, Consular Outreach Mission, email, or regular mail. Also, OFWs can visit DMW or OWWA Regional office or download the OWWA mobile app.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours from the visit.
- Considering the limited details online, we advise OFWs in Argentina to contact the Philippine Embassy in Buenos Aires, POLO Washington, POLO California, and their agency. You may also visit their official website and Facebook pages for inquiries and the latest updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Argentina?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Argentina.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Argentina?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Argentina through POLO Washington, Consular Outreach Mission, email, regular mail, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Argentina?
The OWWA membership fee in Argentina is US$25.00 converted to ARS based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: How to claim owwa asistance balik pinas balik hanapbuhay worth 20,000 pesos for ofw #owwa
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, OWWA can assist OFWs staying in the country for good through the Balik Pinas Balik Hanapbuhay program, providing them with cash assistance amounting to P20,000. Thus, the OWWA membership will benefit OFWs in the long run.
Overall, the OWWA membership is beneficial to OFWs and their dependents. That’s why keeping an active OWWA membership will come in handy, especially in times of difficulties or calamities.
So if you haven’t renewed or applied for your OWWA membership yet, you may follow this guide or contact the relevant offices for inquiries.
Philippine Embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 11 de Septiembre de 1888, N° 1011, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinArgentina
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone Number: (+54-911) 6700-2333
Consular Mobile Hotline: (+54-911) 6700-5111
POLO Washington, DC, USA
Operating Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 1617 Massachusetts Avenue North West, Washington, DC, United States, Washington, District of Columbia
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064785936453
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone Number: +1 202-467-9426
POLO Los Angeles, California
Address: 3435 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 3040, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, 90010
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHLinLA
Telephone Number: +1 213-223-1120
POLO Hotline: +1 213-944-2599