If you’re an OFW in Cyprus and wondering how to apply for OWWA membership, we got you covered. We will share the different ways to apply for OWWA membership in Cyprus. If you obtained employment in Cyprus via a visit visa, we encourage you to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership to avail yourself of government services, programs, and support. We also added the requirements and reminders for the OWWA membership application, so read on.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is an agency mandated to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). All the said agencies help to verify OFW’s legal employment and assist those accessing benefits.
Moreover, OWWA members can avail of different services, programs, and support to help them and their dependents. For instance, OWWA members having conflicts with their employers can get legal assistance, and those affected by Covid-19 can access financial aid and other support.
Active OWWA members can also avail themselves of livelihood programs, loans, education and training benefits, scholarships, and repatriation and reintegration program. With the OWWA membership, OFWs can avail of insurance policies for medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial. Thus, OFWs in Cyprus are encouraged to apply for or renew their OWWA membership to enjoy the benefits.
For OFWs in Cyprus renewing or applying for OWWA membership, you should secure the following requirements below or contact POLO Greece as they have an extended jurisdiction in Cyprus:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Visa validity exceeding 90 days
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page and page 3 with signature)
- Copy of any of the following Proof of Employment:
- Valid Work Permit
- Certificate of Employment with a copy of Employer’s ID
- Not expired Contract
- Latest Pay Slip
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to Euro based on the foreign exchange rate
With the OWWA membership, OFWs will benefit from the services, programs, and support that can assist in their careers and the living condition of their families.
Nonetheless, not everyone can apply for OWWA membership since OFWs should meet the qualification criteria set by OWWA. The applicant should have active and continuous work and be a “legal” or “documented” worker with a valid work permit and visa to become an OWWA member. Additionally, OFWs who have obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries and remains Filipino citizen with full-time or permanent employment can apply for or renew their OWWA membership.
But since OWWA only accepts members with active and continuous work, the following individuals are not qualified for the OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Cyprus
Since there is no designated POLO in Cyprus, POLO Athens, Greece, handles the OWWA membership application of OFWs in Cyprus. And as of writing, POLO-OWWA Athens doesn’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership. In the Facebook post of OWWA Athens, they stated that they accept walk-ins for applicants visiting their office. Also, the Philippine Embassy and POLO-OWWA Athens conduct a Consular Outreach Mission in Cyprus.
But in another Facebook post of the Philippine Embassy in Greece, rendered services during the Consular Outreach Mission are by appointment only. Thus, OFWs in Cyprus processing their OWWA membership during the Consular Outreach Mission should contact POLO-OWWA Athens to book an appointment. You can also inquire regarding OWWA membership in Cyprus by contacting the Philippine Consulate offices in Nicosia and Larnaca.
Applying for OWWA Membership in Cyprus
While there are Philippine Consulate offices in Nicosia and Larnaca, there is no POLO-OWWA office in Cyprus. So OFWs can only process their OWWA membership application or renewal by attending the Consular Outreach Mission of the Philippine Embassy and POLO-OWWA Athens in Cyprus. To check their upcoming schedule Consular Outreach Mission in Cyprus, visit their Facebook pages and websites or contact their office for more details.
Apart from the on-site application, OFWs in Cyprus can renew or apply for the OWWA membership by sending their scanned documents through email. It is also ideal to contact POLO-OWWA Athens regarding the application procedure and OWWA membership requirements. But if you’re looking for a more convenient step, you can renew your membership through the OWWA mobile app. For OFWs vacationing soon in the Philippines, you can also apply for OWWA membership by booking an appointment at any DMW office.
Paying OWWA Membership in Cyprus
If you’ve secured the necessary documents for the OWWA membership application and you meet the qualification criteria for OWWA members, here are the following options on how to pay the OWWA membership fee in Cyprus:
Via Consular Outreach Mission
- Wait for the upcoming visit of the Philippine Embassy and POLO-OWWA Athens officials in Cyprus.
- Contact the relevant offices to book an appointment for the Consular Outreach Mission.
- During the Consular Outreach Mission, bring a copy of your confirmed appointment schedule for OWWA membership. Also, bring your Covid-19 vaccination card or a negative Covid-19 RT-PCR test.
- Head to the OWWA counter and present your requirements for verification.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and claim the official receipt.
- For the OWWA membership application via email, send your scanned requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and wait for the approval of your request.
- If you’re qualified, an OWWA representative will contact you regarding the payment procedure for the OWWA membership fee.
- Once you pay the fee, send your proof of payment to OWWA to receive your OWWA membership electronic receipt.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Cyprus
To ensure the renewal or application of your OWWA membership, take note of the following reminders:
- OFWs in Cyprus should contact POLO-OWWA Athens, Greece, for OWWA membership applications since there is no designated POLO in Cyprus.
- The Philippine Embassy and POLO-OWWA Athens may require an appointment when they conduct a Consular Outreach Mission in Cyprus.
- Apart from the Consular Outreach Mission, OFWs in Cyprus can renew their OWWA membership via OWWA mobile app or by sending their requirements to OWWA’s email.
- If vacationing in the Philippines, OFWs can apply for or renew their OWWA membership at DMW.
- During the on-site application, OFWs should bring a copy of their confirmed appointment schedule as it may serve as a gate pass.
- Applicants should also bring their Covid-19 vaccination cards. If not available, present a Negative Rapid test taken within 24 hours or a Negative RT-PCR test within 48 hours from their visit.
- Applicants should observe physical distancing, wear their face masks all the time, and disinfect their hands.
- When visiting the Embassy or POLO-OWWA office, applicants should wear proper attire as it’s prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers. Wearing the said attire will result in preventing the applicant’s entry.
- OFWs in Cyprus should contact the Embassy and POLO-OWWA Athens and Philippine Consulate offices in Nicosia and Larnaca for more details regarding OWWA membership.
Video: UPDATED: STEP BY STEP GUIDE FOR OWWA MEMBERSHIP/ RENEWAL
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, the OWWA membership will expire in two years. OFWs who also obtained employment during their visit to foreign countries should apply for OWWA membership since it can help them if they suddenly lose a job or require financial assistance. So the OWWA membership is beneficial to OFWs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Cyprus?
As of writing, there is no online appointment system for OWWA membership in Cyprus. But you may contact POLO-OWWA Athens to book an appointment.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Cyprus?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Cyprus via Consular Outreach Mission, email your documents to OWWA Athens, or process your renewal through OWWA mobile app.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and renew your OWWA membership via OWWA mobile app.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Cyprus?
The OWWA membership fee in Cyprus is US$25.00 converted to Euro based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online using OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
Your OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory for OFWs processing their employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW are OWWA members since they should meet the qualification criteria of OWWA.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
To sum up, OFWs in Cyprus who need to renew or apply for OWWA membership have many ways to process their application. They can apply via Consular Outreach Mission, email, or via OWWA mobile app.
OFWs vacationing in the Philippines can also renew their OWWA membership at DMW. Thus, OFWs in Cyprus are encouraged to keep their OWWA membership active all the time to access varying benefits.
Philippine Embassy in Athens, Greece
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 26 Antheon Street, Psychiko, Athens, Greece
Telephone Number: (+30-210) 672 1883 / 672 1837
Fax Number: (+30-210) 672 1872
Mobile Number: (+30) 697 4319 539
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHLinGreece
POLO-OWWA Athens, Greece
Address: 10 Fthiotidos St., Ambelokipi, 115 23 Athens, Greece
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/owwa.cares.77
Telephone Numbers: POLO- +30 210 698 3335; OWWA- +30 210 698 2871
Emails: POLO- email@example.com; OWWA- firstname.lastname@example.org
Philippine Consulate in Nicosia, Cyprus
Address: 16 Stasikratous, Nicosia, 1065, Cyprus
Telephone Number: +357 2225 9500
Fax Number: +357 2266 4056
Philippine Consulate in Larnaca, Cyprus
Address: 21B Makariou III Avenue, 6016, Larnaca, Cyprus
Telephone Number: +357 2472 2520
Fax Number: +357 2472 2184