For OFWs in Brazil who will apply for or renew their OWWA membership, this article is for you. For those who have obtained employment in Brazil via a visit visa, we also encourage you to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership to avail yourself of varying OWWA benefits. So keep reading as we share essential details and varying procedures for OWWA membership applications in Brazil.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is an agency mandated to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). All the said agencies help to verify OFW’s legal employment and assist those accessing benefits.
Aside from that, OWWA members can access varying services, programs, and support that can improve their lives and assist their dependents. OWWA can also provide OFWs with legal assistance and financial aid in times of calamities. Through the OWWA membership, active members can enjoy livelihood programs, loans, education and training benefits, scholarships, and a repatriation and reintegration program. Additionally, the OWWA membership serves as insurance for OFWs providing medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encouraged OFWs in Brazil to renew or apply for OWWA membership to enjoy all the OWWA benefits.
Since there is no designated POLO in Brazil, OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy in Brazil regarding the OWWA membership application requirements. OFWs in Brazil may also refer to the following documentary requirements, same as the nearest POLO in Los Angeles and Washington:
- Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet
- Photocopy of Active and Valid Proof of Employment, such as:
- Valid Visa and Work Permit
- Employment offer
- Latest payslip
- Certificate of Employment from the company or employer
- Company ID
- Other relevant employment documents
- Original and photocopy of passport (showing the data page)
- OFWs must present a letter of certification from the employer or company, verifying that they are not on the list of terminated, resigned, canceled, or employees due for termination.
- OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 converted to BRL based on the foreign exchange rate.
Note that OFWs applying at POLO Washington should pay the OWWA membership fee to OWWA via non-cash payment US Money Order or Bank Draft, as their office doesn’t accept payment through personnel checks or credit/debit cards. Also, don’t forget to add a self-addressed/stamped/prepaid return envelope for mail transactions with POLO Washington.
Whether first-time applicants or renewing your membership, OFWs should meet the qualification criteria for OWWA members. The applicant should have active and continuous employment with a valid work permit and visa to qualify for OWWA membership. OFWs who have obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries and retain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent jobs can also apply for OWWA membership.
However, considering that OWWA only accepts members with an active and continuous job, the following individuals are not qualified for OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- Under the “No work, No pay” scheme
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Brazil
As stated earlier, there is no designated POLO in Brazil. But a Philippine Embassy in Brazil conducts Consular Outreach Mission and Philippine Consulate General (PCG) offices. So OFWs in Brazil are advised to contact their offices regarding the OWWA membership application. Nonetheless, since it’s unclear if the Philippine Embassy in Brazil offers labor-related services such as OWWA membership application during their Consular Outreach Mission, OFWs may contact the nearest POLO offices in Los Angeles and Washington.
These two POLO offices also don’t have an online appointment system for OWWA membership applications. POLO Los Angeles and POLO Washington conduct a Consular Outreach Mission, which requires an appointment. So for further details, OFWs should contact their offices directly. Apart from that, OFWs in Brazil vacationing in the Philippines may book an appointment at any DMW office to apply for or renew their OWWA membership.
Applying for OWWA membership in Brazil
OFWs may refer to POLO Washington since they offer OWWA membership applications through regular mail and email if the Philippine Embassy and PCG offices in Brazil don’t process labor-related services. However, we advise you to contact their office before following the steps in this guide if they can process the OWWA membership application for OFWs in Brazil.
Apart from the on-site application, OFWs in Brazil can renew their OWWA membership via OWWA mobile app. This step is ideal as you no longer have to book an appointment and visit the POLO offices. Download the OWWA mobile app on your device and renew your membership in the app.
Paying OWWA Membership in Brazil
Due to the limited details regarding OWWA membership applications in Brazil, OFWs should contact the relevant offices to determine the most applicable process in their area. We also advise OFWs to inquire with the associated offices regarding the latest requirements and if the procedures below still exist before applying.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
To pay the OWWA membership fee, here are the following steps to expect during the application:
Via Email (For POLO Washington)
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Complete and scan the requirements.
- Email your documentary requirements to email@example.com.
- If your application is approved, follow the instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee sent to your email.
- Take a screenshot of the OWWA membership fee payment receipt and send it to OWWA’s email to receive an email e-copy of your official receipt.
- Then, email OWWA to set an appointment for pick up to claim your OWWA membership’s original official receipt.
Via On-Site Application/Consular Outreach Mission (For POLO Los Angeles & Washington)
- Contact POLO Los Angeles/ Washington to confirm if the appointment is necessary or if walk-in applicants are accepted. For Consular Outreach Mission, book an appointment with POLO Los Angeles/Washington.
- Visit the POLO Los Angeles/Washington office or the exact location for Consular Outreach Mission.
- Head to the OWWA counter and present your requirements for evaluation.
- If you’re qualified, pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, claim your OWWA membership official receipt.
Via Regular Mail (For POLO Washington)
- Download and fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
- Secure and photocopy the requirements.
- Ensure that the documents are complete.
- Add a self-addressed, stamped, and prepaid on the return envelope.
- Mail your requirements to the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), Embassy of the Philippines, 1600 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington DC, 20036.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
OFWs in Brazil can also pay their contribution fee by booking an appointment at DMW offices in the Philippines during their vacation if the OWWA membership payment procedures are not applicable.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Brazil
For OFWs in Brazil applying or renewing their OWWA membership, take note of the following reminders:
- There is no designated POLO in Brazil, so OFWs should contact the Philippine Embassy and PCG offices in Brazil or POLO offices in Los Angeles and Washington for more details.
- If applying on-site or via Consular Outreach Mission, contact the relevant office regarding the OWWA membership appointment.
- OFWs renewing their OWWA membership are encouraged to process it through the OWWA mobile app or book an appointment with DMW if vacationing in the Philippines.
- For on-site application, bring a copy of your confirmed appointment schedule and your Covid-19 vaccination card or Negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours from your visit.
- OFWs visiting government offices should wear appropriate attire, and applicants wearing strictly prohibited outfits, such as sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers, will not be allowed to enter the premise.
- For more details and the latest announcements, visit the websites and Facebook pages of the Philippine Embassy and POLO.
Video: OFW: Inactive or Active Member Social Benefits|| You can claim up to 200k Pesos|| OFW Benefits
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, OFWs can access varying social benefits from OWWA, whether inactive or active members. From disability and dismemberment benefits to Welfare Assistance Program (WAP), all of these are accessible to OFWs as long as they meet the conditions and requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Brazil?
There is no online appointment for OWWA membership application in Brazil. OFWs may also contact POLO Los Angeles and Washington for more details.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Brazil?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Brazil through the on-site application, Consular Outreach Mission, or OWWA mobile app.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download the OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Brazil?
The OWWA membership is US$25.00 converted to BRL based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay the membership fee online using the OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
OWWA membership becomes inactive if the validity has expired or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory for workers who process their employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW are OWWA members since they need to comply with certain documents and qualification criteria for OWWA membership application.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited services.
To sum up, OFWs in Brazil should prioritize applying for or renewing their OWWA membership to ensure access to varying benefits and assistance, especially in times of need. Moreover, OWWA programs and services will benefit their dependents, so keeping an active OWWA membership status is recommended.
Philippine Embassy in Brazil
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: SEN 801, Avenue das Nações, Lote 01, Asa Norte, Brasília, DF, Brazil
Telephone Number: +55 61 3224-8694
Embassy Hotline: +55 61 99389-3042
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinBrazil
POLO Washington, DC, USA
Operating Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 1617 Massachusetts Avenue North West, Washington, DC, United States, Washington, District of Columbia
Telephone Number: +1 202-467-9426
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064785936453
POLO Los Angeles, California
Address: 3435 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 3040, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, 90010
Telephone Number: +1 213-223-1120
POLO Hotline: +1 213-944-2599
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHLinLA
PHILIPPINE CONSULATE GENERAL, MANAUS-AM
Address: R. Jonathas Pedrosa, 1219 – Centro, Manaus-AM, CEP: 69020-110, Brazil
Telephone Number: +55 92 3234 6963
Mobile Number: +55 92 99981-2027
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
PHILIPPINE CONSULATE GENERAL, RECIFE-PE
Address: Rua Barão de Souza Leão, 425 – Empresarial Pontes Corporate Salas 901 e 902, Boa Viagem, Recife-PE, CEP: 51030-300, Brazil
Telephone Number: +55 81 3072-5401, +55 81 99971 2095
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
PHILIPPINE CONSULATE GENERAL, PORTO ALEGRE-RS
Address: Rua dos Andradas, 917/1001, Porto Alegre-RS – CEP: 90020-005, Brazil
Telephone Number: +55 51 98176 1335
Mobile Number: +55 51 98143-8308
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
PHILIPPINE CONSULATE GENERAL, VITÓRIA-ES
Address: Av. Nossa Senhora dos Navegantes, 495, Suites 407/410, Enseada do Sua – Vitória-ES, CEP: 29050-335, Brazil
Telephone Number: +55 27 3314 2982, +55 27 3314 2682
Mobile Number: +55 27 3345-9565, +55 27 99989-3834, +55 27 98111-7184
PHILIPPINE CONSULATE GENERAL, CURITIBA-PR
Address: Av. Marechal Deodoro 630, 2º Andar Ed.CCI Conj. 2002/4, Curitiba-PR, Brazil – CEP: 80010-912, Brazil
Telephone Number: No. +55 41 3225-1881
Fax Number: +55 41 3225-7063
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
PHILIPPINE CONSULATE, SÃO PAULO-SP
Address: Av. Dr. Arnaldo, 1980, São Paulo-SP – CEP: 01255-000 Brazil
Telephone Number: +55 11 3866-2400
Fax Number: +55 11 36756755
PHILIPPINE CONSULATE, RIO DE JANEIRO-RJ
Address: Rua Araújo Porto Alegre, 36, 4º Andar, Centro, Rio de Janeiro-RJ – CEP: 20030-013 Brazil
Telephone Number: +55 21 2113-5177, +55 21 9415-9536
PHILIPPINE CONSULATE GENERAL, GEORGETOWN
Address: Lot 46 “F” Brickdam & Boyle Place Stabroek – Georgetown, Guyana
Telephone Number: +592-227-7782, +592-225-0107, +592-223-8634
Mobile Number: +592-662-0017
Fax Number: +592-227-7783
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
PHILIPPINE CONSULATE, SURINAME
Address: Nieuwe Charlesburgweg no. 95, Paramaribo, Suriname
Telephone Number: +597 422263, +597 426341