For OFWs in Belgium wondering how to apply for or renew their OWWA membership, we got you covered. We have created a detailed guide for OWWA membership in Belgium to give you an overview of different application procedures and which is the most convenient. If you have obtained employment in Belgium via a visit visa, we also encourage you to apply for OWWA membership. So read on to learn more about OWWA membership in Belgium.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency mandated to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies verify OFWs’ legal employment and ensure access to OWWA benefits and assistance.
In addition, OWWA membership includes different programs, services, and support that will benefit OFWs and their dependents. OWWA also provide OFWs with legal assistance if they conflict with employers and financial aid for those affected by Covid-19. If you’re an active OWWA member, you can access livelihood programs, loans, education and training benefits, scholarships, and a repatriation and reintegration program. Additionally, the OWWA membership acts as insurance providing OFWs with medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, OFWs in Belgium are encouraged to apply for or renew their OWWA membership to enjoy the maximum benefits.
As stated on a Facebook post of the Philippine Embassy in Belgium, here are the following requirements for OWWA membership registration or renewal:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Company ID
- Copy of payslip
- Copy of bank account salary entries
- Work or residence permit
- Application for Philippine insurance with employer’s signature
- Other relevant documents proving employment
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to Euro based on the foreign exchange rate.
Despite OWWA’s goal of providing beneficial services and programs to OFWs, not everyone can apply for or renew their OWWA membership due to the qualification criteria applicants should meet. For OFWs to qualify, they should be actively and continuously working and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas. Moreover, OFWs who have obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries and are still Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment can apply for OWWA membership.
On the contrary, considering that OWWA members should have active and continuous employment, the following individuals cannot apply for or renew their OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Belgium
Due to limited details on the website and Facebook page of the Philippine Embassy in Brussels, it is unclear whether or not an appointment for OWWA membership exists in Belgium. In a 2019 Facebook post, the Embassy also conducted an on-site OWWA membership registration or renewal in Belgium during their Consular Outreach Mission, which may require an appointment.
Thus, OFWs in Belgium should contact the Philippine Embassy for more details. On the other hand, OFWs in Belgium vacationing in the Philippines may opt to book an appointment with any DMW office for an OWWA membership application.
Applying for OWWA membership in Belgium
Considering that there is no designated POLO in Belgium, POLO Berlin handles labor-related services for OFWs in Belgium. According to their Facebook post, the Philippine Embassy and POLO Berlin also conduct a Consular Outreach Mission. So OFWs in Belgium may inquire with the Philippine Embassy in Berlin regarding the process for Consular Outreach Mission.
In another advisory on the website of the Philippine Embassy in Berlin, they advised OFWs to renew their OWWA membership by submitting their requirements via email. But since the post was way back in October 2020, OFWs should contact their office to know if this process still exists.
Aside from that, since Belgium is under the jurisdiction of POLO Berlin, OFWs can use the OWWA Online Membership Registration portal. Through this, OFWs in areas under the jurisdiction of POLO Berlin can apply for or renew their OWWA membership online.
Lastly, the most convenient way for OFWs to renew their OWWA membership is to use the OWWA mobile app. With this process, OFWs can renew their membership on their mobile phones and pay the membership fee online or via payment centers.
Paying OWWA Membership in Belgium
Based on the available details from the Philippine Embassy in Brussels and Philippine Embassy, and POLO Berlin, OFWs in Belgium can process their OWWA membership via email and the OWWA Online Membership Registration portal. If they’re qualified, they can pay the OWWA membership fee by following the steps below:
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
- Secure the requirements for the OWWA membership application.
- Send a scanned copy of your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wait for the confirmation from POLO Berlin that your application was approved.
- Once approved, pay the OWWA membership fee to OWWA with the following details:
Account Name: Embassy of the Philippines-OWWA
Bank Name: DEUTSCHE BANK AG
Complete Address: UNTER DEN LINDEN 13/15, 10117 Berlin
Bank ID Code (BIC): DEUTDEBB101
International Bank Account Number (IBAN): DE61 1007 0100 0310 9808 00
- Then, send proof of your bank transfer or remittance for the OWWA membership fee payment.
Via OWWA Online Membership Registration
- Visit the online OWWA Membership Payment Registration portal.
- Fill out the required fields, including Personal Information, Employment Details, and Legal Beneficiaries.
- Upload your Proof of Employment and valid Philippine passport.
- Click Submit Application.
- Then, wait for an email confirmation containing the transaction number and payment instructions for the OWWA membership fee.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Also, both the Philippine Embassy in Belgium and Berlin conduct a Consular Outreach Mission. Thus, OFWs in Belgium should contact the relevant offices for more details.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Belgium
For OFWs in Belgium renewing or applying for OWWA membership, please take note of the following reminders below:
- There is no designated POLO in Belgium. But Belgium is under the jurisdiction of POLO Berlin. So they handle labor-related services in Belgium.
- POLO Berlin offers OWWA membership applications via email and Consular Outreach Mission.
- OFWs in Belgium can use the OWWA Membership Payment Registration portal and OWWA mobile app to process their membership online.
- OFWs vacationing in the Philippines should book an appointment with any DMW office for an OWWA membership application.
- OFWs visiting the Philippine Embassy or government offices should be in proper attire since wearing sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers are strictly prohibited. If the applicant happens to wear any of the said outfits, they won’t be allowed entry.
- OFWs applying for OWWA membership on-site should bring a copy of their confirmed appointment schedule, if applicable. You should also present a Covid-19 vaccination card or a Negative RT-PCR test within 48 hours from your visit.
- For the latest details on the OWWA membership procedure, OFWs should visit the official website and Facebook pages of the Philippine Embassy in Belgium and POLO Berlin.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Belgium?
There is no available online appointment system for OWWA membership in Belgium.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Belgium?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Belgium via email, OWWA mobile app, or OWWA Membership Payment Registration portal.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
You can renew your OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Belgium?
The OWWA membership in Belgium is US$25.00 converted to Euro based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
Your OWWA membership will be inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory for OFWs who have processed employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: Paano Magbayad sa OWWA Online Gamit ang Bank Account(OFBANK)
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, OFWs can renew their OWWA membership online using the OWWA mobile app. In addition, OFWs can pay the OWWA membership fee using any bank or OFBank account. There are also varying payment options available. So paying the OWWA membership fee is easy.
Applying for OWWA membership is now more convenient for OFWs in Belgium through the OWWA mobile app and OWWA Online Membership Registration portal. Apart from that, OFWs can apply for or renew their OWWA membership at DMW if vacationing in the Philippines. Thus, we encouraged OFWs in Belgium to keep their OWWA membership active to access varying benefits.
Philippine Embassy in Brussels, Belgium
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-1:00 pm, Monday to Friday (No Lunch Break)
Address: Avenue Molière 297, 1050 Ixelles Brussels, Belgium
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com (For other concerns)
Telephone Number: +32 (0) 2 340 33 77 / +32 (0) 2 340 33 78
For Consular: +32 2 340 33 73
Emergency Hotline: +32 (0) 488 60 91 77
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHinBelgium/
Philippine Embassy in Berlin, Germany
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Luisenstrasse 16 10117 Berlin Mitte Germany
Telephone Number: +49 (0) 30 864 9500
Emergency Hotline: +49 (0) 17 3521 5703
Fax Number: (030) 87 32 55 1
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinGermany/
Google Map Location
Here’s a map guide to the location of the PH Embassy in Brussels, Belgium: