How to Apply OEC Certificate in Tokyo, Japan

OFWs in Tokyo, Japan, should get their OEC if going on a vacation in the Philippines or whenever their contract ends and returning to the country to fulfill or extend their employment. It is necessary to acquire the OEC if they plan to continue working abroad and vacationing in the Philippines. In addition, OFWs may be offloaded at the airport for failure to present a valid OEC. So if you need to get your OEC in Tokyo, Japan, keep reading.

Also Read: Schedule OWWA Appointment Membership Tokyo, Japan

As months or years go by, Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) have to go back to the Philippines for vacation, emergency purposes, or due to expired employment contracts. So the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) and Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) encourage getting their Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC), which proves legal employment and documentation.

Also known as exit clearance, OEC is an essential document presented to Philippine immigration officers before allowing OFWs to leave for overseas work. That’s why OFWs in Tokyo, Japan, should secure their OEC if on vacation in the Philippines and returning to work abroad, preventing delayed flights and offloading.

how to get an oec certificate in tokyo japan


For OFWs returning to Toko, Japan, with a different employer or job site, you need to secure original and two copies of the following documents:

  • POPS-BaM Appointment form
  • OFW Information Sheet (printed from POPS-BaM)
  • POLO verified the Employment Contract (the original copy should be the latest and comes with an English translation)
  • Valid Work Permit, Work Visa, or any equivalent document
  • Proof of Employment such as Company ID, Certificate of Employment, or latest payslip
  • Photocopy of Confirmed 2-way Airline Ticket
  • Original and copy of the Residence ID Card
  • Letter to Labor  Attachē Marie Rose C. Escalada, explaining how the worker entered Japan and the employment process.
  • Release Letter/ Employment Certificate with English translation (for those who change employers and if the workers visa is still with the previous employer
  • Employment Certificated from the present employer with English translation (necessary if the worker exceeded 5-months working with the employer or company)

For Workers with Company Employer

  • Shakai Kenko Hoken (Health Insurance, Pension, and Employment)
  • Tokibo Tohon (Company Registration) containing English translation

For Workers with Individual Employer

  • Kokumin Kenko Hoken (National Health Insurance)
  • Photocopy of employers passport
  • Photocopy of Employers Residence ID Card
  • Certificate of Employment from the employer granted by the associated company

Nonetheless, OFWs without a POLO verified Employment Contract and without existing records with POEA have to process contract verification before applying for OEC. Also, the employer and worker have to undergo a personal interview for contract verification with the POLO Tokyo office.

Processing Fees

The following are applicable fees OFWS should pay for OEC issuance:

  • OEC processing fee of P100 converted to YEN
  • OWWA membership fee of US$25.00 (converted to YEN based on monthly foreign exchange rate)

OFWs also need to pay for their Pag-IBIG contribution before POLO and POEA issue their OEC.


On the other hand, while OEC is beneficial, not everyone can get it. So POEA and POLO only issue the OEC to qualified workers, ensuring protection and access to government benefits, including:

  • OFWs who acquired work from an overseas Employer or Sponsor via direct hiring
  • OFWs hired via a recruitment agency
  • OFWs hired via POEA’s Government Placement Branch (GBP)
  • OFWs with existing POEA database records and returning to the same job site after vacationing with an employment contract or working visa
  • OFWs with existing POEA database record returning to the same employer but in a different job site
  • OFWs without POEA database records or changes employers on-site

How to Book an OEC Appointment in POLO Tokyo, Japan

OFWs need to book an OEC appointment if requesting OEC at any POLO office. So OFWs need to book an appointment before heading to the POLO Tokyo office. To book an OEC appointment, OFWs also need to register a POPS-BaM account by following the steps below:

How to Register on POPS-BaM (For New Users)

  1. Visit the POEA Online Services Portal/POPS-BaM website.
  2. Under the e-Registration section, click Let’s Go and Register.
  3. Check the I Accept the Terms of Use.
  4. Fill out the required fields and click Register.
  5. Check your email that you registered on POPS-BaM and copy the sent Temporary Password.
  6. Enter the Temporary Password and change it to your preferred password.
  7. On the right of your dashboard, click My Profile.
  8. Fill out the required details.
  9. Double-check your account details and click Update Profile.
  10. Fill out the Identification Details.
  11. Input your Beneficiary details.
  12. Upload a Profile Picture and a copy of your Passport to finish the account setup.

How to book an OEC Appointment in POPS-BaM

If you already have a POPS-BaM account, you can book an OEC appointment with the POLO Tokyo office. Those with old BM accounts can also transfer their records to their newly created POPS-BaM account. Click Transfer Old BM records on the options under the POEA Helpdesk section. Then, book an OEC appointment by following the steps below.

  1. Visit the POEA Online Services Portal/ POPS-BaM website.
  2. Click Let’s Go and log in on the e-Registration section.
  3. On the dashboard, look for My Links. Under it, click Balik Manggagawa and Next.
  4. If you have an incomplete account, provide the required data to continue.
  5. Input your Flight Date and click Next.
  6. If not a Balik Manggagawa or not returning to the same employer and job site, answer No to the questions to continue booking.
  7. Update necessary details on your contract and click Submit.
  8. Choose a Processing Site and click Next.
  9. Lastly, take a screenshot or print your confirmed appointment schedule.

How to Apply for OEC in POLO Tokyo, Japan

If you’re returning to Japan with a different employer or job site, it is required to get your OEC at the POLO Tokyo office. However, OFWs without POLO verified Employment Contract and who arrived in Japan with a tourist or visit visa cannot get their OEC at POLO Tokyo since they need to apply at POEA offices in the Philippines.

So POLO Tokyo can only verify the worker’s Employment Contract but won’t issue their OEC. To apply for OEC in POLO Tokyo, Japan, follow the steps below:

  1. Head to the POLO Tokyo office on the date of your appointment.
  2. Next, proceed to the POLO counter to secure an OFW Information Sheet.
  3. Fill out the OFW Information Sheet.
  4. Then, submit the OFW Information Sheet with other requirements.
  5. Pay the applicable fees.
  6. Wait for the issuance of your OEC, both original and photocopies.

How to Get OEC Online in Tokyo, Japan

  1. Visit the POEA Online Services Portal/POPS-BaM website.
  2. On the e-Registration section, click Let’s Go and log in.
  3. If your account details are incomplete, provide the missing data to continue.
  4. Input your Flight Date and click Next.
  5. Answer Yes to the questions to confirm you’re a Balik Mangggagawa or a worker returning to the same employer and job site.
  6. Then, print your OEC online. Also, only request your OEC within 60 days of your return flight date.

Video: Common Problems of Getting an OEC Certificate

For more details on OEC, please watch the video below:

As discussed in the video, OFWs have difficulties securing their OEC on POPS-BaM for many reasons, such as the Temporary Password sent on the registered email. So OFWs need to use an active email when registering an account on POPS-BaM to get the Temporary Password for logging in.

Additionally, OFWs struggle to get their OEC on POPS-BaM if their information is incomplete. Lastly, OFWs should request their OEC within their confirmed return flight date to ensure its validity.

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some common questions about the POLO office and the OEC certificate process in Tokyo:

1. How can I get an OEC exemption in Tokyo, Japan?

You can get an OEC exemption if you’re a Balik Manggagawa or workers returning to the same employer and job site. If not, you cannot get an OEC exemption. To do so, log in to your POPs-BaM account. Then, answer Yes to the questions to confirm you’re a Balik Manggagawa and get an OEC exemption.

2. How can I book an OEC appointment online?

You need to register an account on POPs-BaM to book an OEC appointment online. Complete the account setup and provides the required details to book an OEC appointment. Also, the OEC appointment is for workers returning to a different employer and job site or has changed employers on-site.

3. Can I get OEC in Tokyo, Japan, without an appointment?

If you’re not a Balik Manggagawa, you need to book an appointment to get your OEC in Tokyo, Japan. However, if you’re a Balik Manggagawa or a worker returning to the same employer and job site, you don’t need to book an appointment since you can get your OEC online.

4. Can I get OEC at the airport?

You can get OEC at the Philippine airport if on emergency leave or have confirmed flight booking.

5. How long is OEC valid?

OEC is only valid for 60 days, so ensure to request it within your confirmed return flight date.

6. How much is the OEC fee in Tokyo, Japan?

The OEC fee in Tokyo, Japan, is P100 converted to YEN.

7. Can I get OEC without OWWA membership?

No, since an active OWWA membership is necessary for OEC issuance.


Overall, OFWs should be aware of how to get their OEC to prevent problems when returning to their work in Tokyo, Japan. Furthermore, OEC has 60 days validity, so OFWs should only request their exit clearance within their confirmed return flight booking.

While OFWs returning to the same employer and job site can avail the OEC exemption on POPS-BaM, exempting Balik Manggagawa from paying the OEC processing fee. Nonetheless, OFWs should ensure the correct details on their OEC request to prevent conflicts on their departure for overseas work.

Contact Details

POLO Tokyo
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm on Monday to Thursday, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm on Fridays
Address: 5-15-5 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 106-8537
Labor and Employment Facilitation Services Contact Number: (+813) 6441-0428, 644-10478
Welfare Services Contact Number: 03-6441-0959
Email:, Labor and Employment Facilitation Services-, Welfare Services-
Facebook Page:

Google Map Location

You may check out the location of the POLO-OWWA Tokyo office in Japan located in the same building as the Philippine Embassy Tokyo.

error: Content is protected !!