Whether renewing a contract or transferring an employer, Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) in Greece and Cyprus should verify their Employment Contract at Migrant Workers Office (MWO). This document is also essential for vacationing OFWs applying for Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) since POEA requires it to get an exit clearance. So if you’re wondering how to secure this document, read on as we share the process for Individual Contract Verification in MWO Athens, Greece.
The Labor Attaché checks the Employment Contract to determine if OFWs’ contracts comply with the current laws, standards, and practices of the Philippines and the host country. When the contract is verified, OFWs can protect their rights, welfare, and benefits. That’s why we encouraged OFWs to complete the Individual Contract Verification in MWO Athens, Greece, especially before vacationing in the Philippines, preventing issues obtaining OEC or flight delays.
If you’re an OFW in Greece or Cyprus, check if you meet any of the qualifications below before you apply for Individual Contract Verification in MWO Athens:
- Filipino nationals without POEA records but working abroad or those who transferred job sites with a new employer
- Filipino workers registered with POEA but have changed their employers on-site
- Filipino workers with potential employers and an employment visa approved by the Immigration Department
- Filipino nationals who legally migrated to a foreign country and converted from migrant status to a worker status (such as dependents, permanent residents, petitioned family members, spouse or fiance visas)
- Filipino workers on a fixed-term contract (verify every renewal)
Considering the limited information regarding Individual Contract Verification, we advise OFWs in Greece and Cyprus to contact MWO Athens for more details on the latest documentary requirements. Also, here’s a list of the primary documentary requirements OFWs should prepare for Individual Contract Verification in MWO Athens, Greece:
- Employment Contract – all pages signed by the employer (preferably POEA)
- Copy of worker’s passport (data page only) – with at least six (6) months validity before the intended date of departure
- Copy of worker’s work visa/permit
- Copy of employer’s ID
If MWO Athens accepts the verification of your Employment Contract, you should also pay the applicable fees:
- Contract Verification fee- Not available (Contact MWO Athens, Greece to determine the specific amount)
- OWWA Membership fee- US$25 converted to local currency based on the foreign exchange rate (if OWWA membership is expired or about to expire)
How to Verify Employment Contract in MWO Athens, Greece
As of writing, OFWs in Greece and Cyprus can verify their Employment Contract thru mail/email and Consular Outreach Mission. The first option is to send the documentary requirements to MWO Athens via courier or email. Meanwhile, OFWs in farther areas, especially those based in Cyrpus, can verify their Employment Contract via the Consular Outreach Mission conducted by the Philippine Embassy and MWO Athens, Greece. To verify Employment Contract in MWO Athens, Greece, follow the steps below:
- Contact MWO Athens and inquire regarding the latest documentary requirements for Contract Verification.
- Secure the complete requirements.
- If you opt for courier/mail, send the documents to the MWO Greece mailing address:
- 10 Fthiotidos St., Ambelokipi,
- 115 23 Athens, Greece
- But if you prefer to verify your Employment Contract thru email, gather all the documents stated above into one PDF file.
- Next, send the PDF file to email@example.com with EMP ONLINE as the subject header.
- Wait for a confirmation and payment reminder from MWO Athens, Greece, thru email, phone, or SMS.
- If MWO Athens advises you to pay the verification fee, send the payment to a remittance center with the Account Name:
- Office of the Labor Attaché,
- MWO Greece,
- 10 Fthiotidos St., Ambelokipi,
- 11523 Athens, Greece
- Send the payment receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your payment for Contract Verification.
- Once payment is confirmed, MWO Athens, Greece, will send the verified Employment Contract thru mail/email.
Note: It’s unclear if MWO Athens still processes Individual Contract Verification via email or mail. Thus, we advise OFWs to contact their office directly to verify the latest process for Contract Verification. Also, OFWs may contact the Philippine Embassy in Greece for further inquiries.
Via Consular Outreach Mission
- Check the official website and Facebook page of the Philippine Embassy in Greece.
- Inquire regarding the upcoming schedule and venue for the Consular Outreach Mission with MWO Athens, Greece.
- Set an appointment for Contract Verification if applicable.
- Print or screenshot proof of your confirmed appointment
- Complete the documentary requirement.
- Head to the designated venue of the Consular Outreach Mission.
- Submit your complete documentary requirements for evaluation.
- If the documents are complete, pay the applicable fees.
- Then, collect the official receipt and wait for the release of your verified Employment Contract.
Please keep in mind the following reminders when processing individual Contract Verification in MWO Athens, Greece:
- OFWs should contact MWO Athens since there’s limited information regarding Contract Verification in Greece.
- All clients should present a full-dose vaccination or negative Covid-19 test certificate to enter the Embassy or MWO Greece.
- Observe physical distancing.
- Wear a face mask at all times within the premises of MWO Greece
- All clients should set an appointment with the Philippine Embassy or MWO Greece (excluding those claiming documents, visas, or passports).
- The security personnel may not allow entry to clients wearing strictly prohibited clothing, such as strapless, spaghetti-strap blouses, tank tops, sando, skimpy skirts, shorts, leggings, and slippers.
- For more details on Individual Contract Verification, contact MWO Athens, Greece, thru the following:
- +30 210 698 3335
- +30 694 363 8695
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get OEC without Contract Verification?
No, you can’t. A verified Employment Contract is a primary requirement for an OEC application. Without an Employment Contract verified by MWO, you cannot get an OEC or exit clearance. So if vacationing in the Philippines, secure e verified contract first at the Migrant Workers Office (MWO) in your host country.
Can I verify Employment Contract in the Philippines?
Although you can, it’s not advisable. Contract Verification is only available at the Migrant Worker’s Offices (MWOs) abroad, which means OFWs can only process this document in the host country. But if you’re already in the Philippines, verify Employment Contract by authorizing a representative to process the documents. Lastly, you may visit the Department of Migrant Workers Office in the Philippines for assistance.
Verifying OFW’s contracts does not only ensure it’s compliant with the employment laws. This process also helps check the legality of OFWs’ employers and if they can employ them.
In addition, OFWs with verified contracts can access the benefits and services from MWOs and their partners. Thus, Individual Contract Verification is an essential process for OFWs, be it the first time working abroad, changing employers, or renewing a contract.