For OFWs in Portugal, we advised renewing your OWWA membership as soon as it expires to ensure access to different OWWA benefits. We also encourage OFWs in Portugal who have obtained employment via a visit visa to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership. And to assist you with the application process, here’s our in-depth guide on how to get OWWA membership in Portugal. We also listed the contact details of relevant offices that can help you, so read on.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies confirm OFWs’ legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
The OWWA membership provides services, programs, and support to improve OFWs’ well-being, career, livelihood, and even the education of their dependents. Furthermore, active OWWA members can also seek financial aid in times of hardship or legal assistance for those with employer issues. Most importantly, the OWWA membership serves as OFWs’ insurance, providing them with disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encourage OFWs in Portugal to apply for or renew their OWWA membership to enjoy maximum benefits.
According to the Facebook post of POLO Madrid, Spain, here are the following documentary requirements OFWs should secure for OWWA membership in Portugal:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of valid Residence Permit or Permit to Stay
- Copy of any of the following proof of present or active employment:
- Latest Employment Contract
- Copy of latest pay slip or bank transfer of salary
- Latest payment of Social Security contribution
- Latest official employment record (For Portugal, Andorra, France, and Monaco)
- Latest Employment Certificate with a copy of employers ID containing a signature
- Company ID
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to Euro based on the foreign exchange rate
Whether in need of assistance for livelihood or educational scholarship for your dependents, the OWWA membership offers varying services and programs that will benefit OFWs and their families. Thus, many OFWs wish to become OWWA members. Nonetheless, not all are eligible for OWWA membership since there are qualification criteria that members should meet and maintain.
OWWA members should have active and continuous employment and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas. Aside from that, OFWs who have acquired permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment qualify as OWWA members. On the other hand, OFWs who cannot meet and maintain the qualification criteria cannot renew or apply for OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Portugal
As of writing, Portugal doesn’t have an online appointment for OWWA membership. This country also doesn’t have a designated POLO and is under the jurisdiction of POLO Madrid, Spain. So OFWs in Portugal may contact the Philippine Embassy in Lisbon and POLO Spain for more details on OWWA membership.
Meanwhile, since POLO Spain handles the labor-related services and concerns for OFWs in Portugal, they conduct an Outreach Mission in the country and offer OWWA membership registration and renewal. However, partaking in the POLO Spain Outreach Mission requires an appointment.
Thus, we advise OFWs in Portugal to contact the said office or visit their Facebook page and website for the designated appointment link. You may contact POLO Spain via email or call their hotline numbers to confirm your visit. Apart from POLO Spain, OFWs in Portugal vacationing in the Philippines may contact DMW or OWWA Regional office to book an appointment for OWWA membership.
Applying for OWWA Membership in Portugal
There are no relevant details on the official website and Facebook page of the Philippine Embassy in Lisbon, Portugal, regarding OWWA membership. But POLO Spain conducts an Outreach Mission in Portugal, where OFWs can process their OWWA membership on-site.
For OFWs vacationing in the Philippines, you can also process your OWWA membership on-site at DMW or OWWA Regional office. Just ensure to inquire regarding the latest OWWA membership documentary requirements. On the contrary, if your schedule won’t permit, renewing your membership through the OWWA mobile app is recommended. This app allows OFWs to renew their OWWA membership anytime and anywhere.
Paying OWWA Membership in Portugal
Based on the available details online, OFWs in Portugal can process their OWWA membership on-site through POLO Spain Outreach Mission, DMW, or OWWA Regional office. If you choose any of these processes, you can also pay the OWWA membership fee on-site during your appointment if you’re qualified.
But if you don’t want to go through all the trouble of securing documentary requirements or heading to the application side, renew your OWWA membership through the OWWA mobile app. Under this process, you also have more payment options based on your convenience.
You can pay the OWWA membership fee via an online bank, e-wallet, or over-the-counter payment centers in the Philippines. Also, even if you’re not in the country, you can ask your relatives to pay the OWWA membership fee by providing the reference number you’ve generated.
Additionally, don’t forget to contact the relevant offices to ensure the latest application requirements for OWWA membership in Portugal or reach out to your agency for assistance.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via POLO Spain Outreach Mission
- Contact the POLO Madrid, Spain office.
- Book an appointment for OWWA membership.
- Print a copy of your confirmed appointment and secure the documentary requirements.
- Visit the designated application site on the day of your appointment.
- Proceed to the OWWA counter and submit your requirements for evaluation.
- Pay the OWWA membership fee and collect the official receipt.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email since it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Portugal
Please take note of the following reminders when renewing or applying for OWWA membership in Portugal:
- As of writing, there is no designated POLO and online appointment system for OWWA membership in Portugal. In addition, Portugal is under the jurisdiction of POLO Madrid, Spain.
- OFWs in Portugal may process their OWWA membership through POLO Spain Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours from the visit.
- We advised OFWs in Portugal to contact the Philippine Embassy in Lisbon, POLO Spain, and their agency for assistance on OWWA membership application. You may also visit their official websites and Facebook pages for the latest announcements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Portugal?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Portugal.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Portugal?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Portugal through POLO Spain Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, or OWWA Regional office.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Portugal?
The OWWA membership fee in Portugal is US$25.00 converted to Euro based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: HOW TO RENEW OWWA MEMBERSHIP ONLINE USING MOBILE APP #OWWA #RENEWAL #ANDROID PHONE
For more information on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, OFWs can renew their OWWA membership by downloading the OWWA mobile app. Sign up or log in to your account by providing your personal information. If your OWWA membership status is inactive, click the Renew Membership here button. Also, there are varying payment options for hassle-free renewal of your OWWA membership on the OWWA mobile app.
To sum up, ensuring an active OWWA membership is necessary for OFWs to access OWWA benefits whenever needed, especially during calamities or difficulties. However, there are few details regarding OWWA membership in Portugal. Thus, we advise OFWs to contact the relevant offices of their agency for assistance with the application process or download the OWWA mobile app.
Philippine Embassy in Lisbon, Portugal
Operating Hours: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, from Monday to Thursday
Address: Rua Barata Salgueiro 30, Lisbon, Portugal
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/PHLinPortugal/
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Telephone Number: (00351) 216083274/ 216083276/ 216083277
Fax No. (00351) 216083251
POLO-OWWA Madrid, Spain
Operating Hours: 10:00 am – 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: Calle Serrano 161, Planta Baja, 28002 Madrid
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinSpain, https://www.facebook.com/polomadridspain
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone Number: (+34) 917 818 626, 915 776 755, 600 307 988 or 604 348 154