For OFWs in Papua New Guinea who have inactive memberships, we advise renewing your OWWA membership to access OWWA benefits anytime you need. We also encourage OFWs in Papua New Guinea who have acquired employment through a visit visa to apply voluntarily for OWWA membership. With that said, read our in-depth guide below about the application process for OWWA membership in Papua New Guinea and the contact details of relevant offices that can assist you.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is a government agency authorized to promote and protect the welfare of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents. This agency works with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) or previously known as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). These agencies confirm OFWs’ legal employment and access to OWWA benefits.
Under the OWWA membership, OFWs and their dependents can enjoy programs, services, and assistance that benefit their well-being, livelihood, and education. Additionally, active OWWA members can request legal assistance for employer issues and financial aid in times of difficulty. OWWA also serves as insurance, which provides OFWs with medical, disability, calamity, death, and burial assistance. Thus, we encourage OFWs in Papua New Guinea to renew or apply for OWWA membership.
If you wish to renew or apply for OWWA membership in Papua New Guinea, here are the primary documentary requirements you must secure:
- Duly-accomplished OWWA Information Sheet.
- Copy of valid Philippine passport (showing data page)
- Copy of Employment Contract or any of the following proof of employment:
- Certificate of Employment
- Company ID
- Copy of latest payslip
- Work or residence permit
- Other relevant documents proving continuous employment abroad
- OWWA Membership fee of US$25.00 converted to PGK based on the foreign exchange rate.
OWWA ensure the safety and well-being of OFWs and their dependents and offers varying programs, services, and assistance. However, not all can qualify as members due to OWWA’s imposed eligibility criteria. OWWA requires its members to have active and continuous work and are “legal” or “documented” workers with valid work permits and visas.
In addition, OFWs who have obtained permanent residency status in foreign countries and remain Filipino citizens with full-time or permanent employment qualify as OWWA members. On the other hand, individuals who cannot meet or maintain the eligibility criteria are not allowed to renew or apply for OWWA membership, including employees:
- Due for termination
- Due for cancellation
- No work, No pay
Booking an OWWA Appointment in Papua New Guinea
As of writing, there is no online appointment system for OWWA membership in Papua New Guinea. This country also doesn’t have a designated POLO. So OFW’s first point of contact is the Philippine Embassy in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. You may contact their office for more details on OWWA membership.
Meanwhile, the nearest POLO offices from Papua New Guinea are in Malaysia and Singapore. POLO Malaysia and POLO Singapore handle labor-related concerns and services for OFWs. Thus, you may contact the said offices regarding the OWWA membership application process.
For POLO Singapore, you can visit this link to book an online appointment for OWWA membership, while POLO Malaysia may accept walk-ins. But if vacationing in the Philippines, don’t forget to contact DMW or OWWA Regional office to confirm if an appointment is necessary for on-site registration or renewal.
Applying for OWWA membership in Papua New Guinea
There is no relevant data regarding OWWA membership on the official Facebook page of the Philippine Embassy in Papua New Guinea. Also, since Papua New Guinea doesn’t have a designated POLO, OFWs may refer to the on-site OWWA membership registration and renewal of POLO Singapore and Malaysia.
The Philippine Embassy in Papua New Guinea also conducts a Consular Outreach Mission. However, it’s unclear if they offer labor-related services, such as OWWA membership. So it is ideal to contact the Embassy to verify if the service is available during their Consular Outreach Mission.
Apart from applying at DMW or OWWA Regional office in the Philippines, OFWs can process their membership through the OWWA mobile app. It is the most convenient process if renewing your membership since you can do it at your convenience.
Paying OWWA Membership in Papua New Guinea
As stated, OFWs in Papua New Guinea can process their OWWA membership on-site. You can go with POLO Singapore, POLO Malaysia, Consular Outreach Mission, DMW, or OWWA Regional office. If you have chosen any of these processes, you can also pay for the OWWA membership fee on-site if you’re qualified.
But if processing your membership via OWWA mobile app, you can pay the OWWA membership through an online bank, e-wallet, and over-the-counter payment centers in the Philippines. You can also ask your relatives to pay the contribution fee if you’re not in the country.
Step-by-step process of Paying the OWWA membership
Via On-Site OWWA Membership Program (POLO-OWWA Singapore/Malaysia)
- Visit the official website of POLO Singapore or click the OWWA appointment button here. POLO OWWA Malaysia accepts walk-ins at their office for OWWA membership.
- Print or take a screenshot of the confirmation sent to your email as proof of the confirmed appointment schedule.
- Visit POLO-OWWA Singapore or Malaysia on the day of your appointment.
- Present proof of your appointment if necessary.
- Head to the OWWA counter and submit your documentary requirements for evaluation.
- Then, pay the OWWA membership fee and collect your official receipt.
Via OWWA mobile app
- Download the OWWA mobile app on your device.
- Register an account. Also, provide an active email as it’s where you’ll receive your temporary login details.
- Check your email and copy the login details.
- Return to the OWWA mobile app and enter the login details sent to your email.
- Once you’ve logged in to your account, click the Information button at the lower tab.
- Next, you’ll see your membership status, if active or inactive.
- If inactive, click Renew Membership Here and accept the Terms of Service.
- Double-check or update your employment details if necessary. Then, click Submit.
- On the LandBank payment portal page, click Payment Option and choose your preferred payment method.
- Copy the Reference Number and follow the payment instructions to pay the OWWA membership fee.
- Then, take a screenshot of your transaction or the provided electronic receipt.
Reminders for OWWA Membership in Papua New Guinea
If processing your OWWA membership in Papua New Guinea, please take note of the following reminders:
- As of writing, Papua New Guinea doesn’t have a designated POLO. The nearest POLO offices are in Malaysia and Singapore.
- OFWs in Papua New Guinea may process their membership through Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, OWWA Regional office, and POLO Singapore and Malaysia. Also, confirm with POLO Singapore and Malaysia if Papua New Guinea is under their jurisdiction.
- OFWs visiting the Embassy or any government office should wear proper attire. It is strictly prohibited to wear sleeveless or tank tops, sando, shorts, miniskirts, ripped jeans, and slippers.
- OFWs processing OWWA membership on-site should bring proof of confirmed appointment schedule, a Covid-19 vaccination card, or a Negative RT-PCR test taken 48 hours from the visit.
- We advise OFWs to contact the Philippine Embassy in Papua New Guinea, POLO Singapore, POLO Malaysia, and their agency for assistance on the OWWA membership application. You may also visit their official websites and Facebook pages for the latest updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to book an appointment with OWWA in Papua New Guinea?
As of writing, an online OWWA appointment isn’t available in Papua New Guinea.
2. How do I renew my OWWA membership in Papua New Guinea?
You can renew your OWWA membership in Papua New Guinea via Consular Outreach Mission, OWWA mobile app, DMW, OWWA Regional office, and POLO Singapore and Malaysia.
3. How to renew OWWA membership online?
Download and register an account on OWWA mobile app to renew your OWWA membership online.
4. How much is OWWA membership in Papua New Guinea?
The OWWA membership fee in Papua New Guinea is US$25.00 converted to PGK based on the foreign exchange rate.
5. Can I pay for the OWWA membership online?
You can pay for the OWWA membership online via OWWA mobile app.
6. How long is OWWA membership valid?
OWWA membership is valid for two years.
7. Why my OWWA membership is inactive?
The OWWA membership becomes inactive if the two-year validity has passed or you’ve changed employers.
8. Is OWWA membership mandatory?
OWWA membership is mandatory if processing employment at DMW.
9. Are all OFW member of OWWA?
Not all OFW since OWWA has since OWWA has qualification criteria applicants should meet.
10. Who can avail of OWWA benefits?
OWWA benefits are available to active members, while inactive members can only access limited benefits.
Video: HOW TO REGISTER TO OWWA APPLICATION PARA SA MGA OFW?
For more details on OWWA membership, please watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, OWWA helps OFWs abroad and their families in the Philippines through different services and programs. The membership is also renewable online through the OWWA mobile app. With the OWWA mobile app, OFWs can also request assistance and programs. So download the OWWA mobile app for your convenience.
In summary, the OWWA membership benefits OFWs and their dependents with all the services and programs they can access. Thus, ensuring an active OWWA membership will be helpful in times of hardships or unexpected events. Also, note that we still advise OFWs in Papua New Guinea to contact the relevant offices since the details online are lacking and not updated.
Philippine Embassy in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Address: Lot 1 Sec 440, Islander Village, Hohola NCD, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHLinPNG
Telephone Number: (+675) 3256414 / 3256577
Operating Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: 20 Nassim Road, Singapore, Singapore
Website: https://polosingapore.dole.gov.ph/, http://owwa.gov.ph/?q=content%2Fprograms-services#
Facebook Pages: https://web.facebook.com/POLOSPORE, https://web.facebook.com/WeloveOWWASingapore
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
POLO Telephone Number: +65 9113 6552
OWWA Telephone Number: +65 6951 4001
Operating Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Address: No. 1 Changkat Kia Peng, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Website: https://kualalumpurpe.dfa.gov.ph/, https://web.facebook.com/owwa.kl/
Facebook Page: https://web.facebook.com/PHinMalaysia
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
OWWA Telephone Numbers: +(603) 9226 7117, +(603) 0173 804163 (Hotline)
POLO Telephone Numbers: +(603) 2181 7299, +(603) 2161 2222, +(6017) 8837 089 (Hotline)