OFWs in Doha, Qatar, are reminded to secure a valid OEC when returning to work to fulfill or renew an employment contract. OEC is also essential when applying for an overseas job. So if you’re going back to the Philippines and continuing your work, follow this guide to apply for OEC in Doha, Qatar.
Also Read: OWWA Appointment Membership Doha, Qatar
The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) issues the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) to Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs), verifying they’re legally employed overseas. Called an exit clearance, the immigration requires the OEC before OFWs leave for overseas work.
So OFWs coming from the Philippines and returning to Doha, Qatar, should ensure a valid OEC at hand.
If you’re to return to the Philippines and go back to work real quick to continue or renew your employment contract, the following requirements you need secure to apply for OEC in Doha, Qatar.
- Three printed copies of BM/ POPS-BaM Online Appointment
- Two photocopies of POLO Verified Employment Contract
- Original and two photocopies of passport valid for at least six months before the date of departure
- Two photocopies of Employer or Sponsor’s Qatar ID
- Two photocopies of Qatar ID (pataka) or Visa Stamp
- Confirmed Airline Ticket or other documents containing flight information
- Personal appearance only
When applying for an OEC, you need to pay the processing if you’re not a Balik Manggagawa or returning to the same employer, and other fees may apply, a prerequisite to obtaining an OEC.
- OEC fee of QAR 9
- Contract Verification fee of QAR 40
- OWWA Membership fee of QAR 93
- Pag-IBIG Membership fee of QAR 30
For OFWs hired by a recruitment agency, they will do the work to charge your employer of the necessary fees you must pay. Also, it is better to always ask for a receipt from the employer collecting fees.
POEA’s primary purpose of issuing OEC to OFWs is to ensure they are legally recruited, documented, and protected while working overseas. However, qualification criteria should be met by applicants before OEC is issued. So if you’re applying for OEC, check if you fall under the qualified individuals:
- OFWs who acquired work from an overseas Employer or Sponsor via direct hiring
- OFWs hired via a recruitment agency
- OFWs hired via POEA’s Government Placement Branch (GBP)
In addition, OEC may also be issued to first-time and renewing OWWA membership applicants and OWWA members and Household Service Workers with POLO Verified Contract. If not registered with POEA’s database, you’re not qualified to get an OEC in POLO Doha.
How to Book an OEC Appointment in POLO Doha
As stated on a Facebook post of POLO Qatar, OFWs need to book an appointment to apply for OEC. The POLO Doha uses two online booking systems.
One on their website for Contract Verification and OWWA membership applicants, while the OEC appointment is available at the new POPS-BaM online system.
So if you wish to apply for an OEC in the POLO Doha office, you need to create an e-Registration account on POPS-BaM online system to book an appointment. And if you don’t have a POPS-BaM account yet, follow the steps below.
Register an Account on POPS-BaM (For New Users)
- Visit the new POEA Online Services Portal/POPS-BaM website.
- Click Let’s Go.
- Next, click Register.
- Fill out the required fields and click Register.
- Check the email you registered on POPS-BaM.
- Copy the provided Temporary Password sent to your email.
- Go back to the POPS-BaM website.
- Then, log in using your registered email and Temporary Password.
- Change your password.
- Go to My Profile and provide the necessary details.
- Afterward, click Update Profile.
- Enter your Identification Details.
- Enter your Beneficiaries and their details.
- Lastly, upload your profile picture and passport to complete the account setup.
Booking an OEC Appointment via POPS-BaM
After you’ve created an e-Registration account and completed account details, you can now book an OEC appointment with the POLO Doha office using POPS-BaM online system. If an old BM account is available, you may transfer it to POPS-BaM online system. Register and look for your record to update the data on your e-Registration account. Then, wait for 2-6 hours before using your newly registered POPS-BaM account.
In addition, make sure your OWWA membership fee is active and other contribution fees or pay it during the processing of your OEC. To book an OEC appointment with the POLO Doha office, follow the steps below:
- Visit the POEA Online Services Portal/ POPS-BaM website.
- On e-Registration, click Let’s Go.
- Log in with your registered email address and password.
- Under My Links, click Balik Manggagawa on the right side of the dashboard page and click Next.
- If your account lacks details, provide the required data to proceed.
- Next, input your Flight Date and click Next.
- There are two questions answerable by Yes or No. For Balik Mangagawa or returning to the same employer, answer Yes to both questions.
- If you’re not a Balik Manggagawa, answer No to the questions.
- Then, update the information of your contract and click Submit.
- Select the Processing Site and click Next.
- Afterward, screenshot or print your booking appointment schedule.
How to Apply for OEC in POLO Doha
If you’re an OFW returning to Qatar to work for a new employer, you should apply for an OEC in the POLO Doha office. So you should book an appointment ahead of your visit and compile the necessary documents you’ll need during the application process. Also, make sure to arrive on time and follow the steps below.
- Head to the new POLO Doha office behind the Al Saad Family Court and Al Saad Police Station.
- Show the security guard the screenshot or printed copy of your booking appointment schedule.
- Present the applicable requirements at the OEC window for verification.
- Pay the exact amount of the applicable processing fees.
- Collect your OEC and other issued documents.
POLO Doha will not issue an OEC to OFWs who arrive in Qatar with a tourist or visit visa, and overtime was converted to a work visa. They should apply for an OEC in the POEA offices in the Philippines to be in the database of overseas workers. So POLO Doha office can only verify the contract as a requirement to apply for an OEC.
How to Get OEC Online in Doha
If you fall under the Balik Manggagawa or returning workers, you are qualified to get an OEC online while in Doha, Qatar. Since it is more convenient and doesn’t require an appointment and visiting the POLO office, you can avail of exemption and are no longer required to pay the OEC fee of QAR 9, allowing you to get your OEC right in the comfort of your home, so follow the steps below.
- Visit the POEA Online Services Portal/ POPS-BaM website.
- On the e-Registration section, click Let’s Go and log in to your account.
- If your profile is incomplete, provide the missing data to continue.
- Enter your Flight Date and click Next.
- Answer Yes to the two questions provided to confirm that you’re a Balik Manggagawa or returning to the same employer.
- Lastly, print your OEC 60 days before your return flight date.
Acquiring an OEC online is only for Balik Manggagawa or returning workers eligible for the exemption. As described by POEA, Balik Manggagawa are those returning to their previous employer in the same or different location. Thus, OFWs returning to the same job site but with a new employer cannot avail of OEC exemption.
Video: How to acquire OEC Exemption / OEC using the new platform (POPS-BaM)?
For more details on the OEC application, watch the video below:
As discussed in the video, POEA has a new online system called POPS-BaM, where OFWs can acquire an OEC and exemption. The website launched last June 30, 2021. So OFWs should register an account with POPS-BaM to avail of OEC exemption. On the website, OFWs can also add the details on their account regarding personal, contract, and beneficiary details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please check out these common questions and answers about the OEC certificate application process in Qatar:
1. How can I get an OEC exemption in Doha?
You can get an OEC exemption if you’re a Balik Manggagawa or returning to work.
2. How can I get OEC online in Doha?
OEC is available online by Balik Manggagawa and acquired using the POPS-BaM online system.
3. How can I book an OEC appointment online?
You need to register on the POPS-BaM website to book an OEC appointment online.
4. Is OEC still required for OFW in 2022?
Yes, OEC is still required for OFWs since it is an exit clearance to pass the immigration officers.
5. Can I get OEC in Doha without an appointment?
An appointment is a must when applying for an OEC at the POLO Doha office.
6. Can I get OEC at the airport?
You can get an OEC at the airports in the Philippines if you’re on emergency leave or have confirmed flight booking.
7. How long is OEC valid?
OEC is only valid for 60 days.
8. How much is the OEC fee in Doha?
The OEC fee in Doha is QAR 9.
9. Can I get OEC without OWWA membership?
An active OWWA membership is required to get an OEC.
10. Do I need OEC to go back to the Philippines?
You only need an OEC if you’re leaving the Philippines for overseas employment, so you don’t need it when going home.
To sum up, OEC is a necessary document to acquire employment and ensure successfully passing through the immigration officers. It also provides OFWs the privilege of travel tax and terminal fees exemption, which can help with their expenses. So OFWs in Doha, Qatar, are encouraged to secure an OEC when traveling from the Philippines back to their overseas work.
MWO POLO Doha Office
Operating Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Sunday to Thursday
Address: New Office Location starting March 15, 2022 – Ground Floor, Bldg. No. 24 Jawaan St. 808 Region 39 Al Saad, Doha, Qatar (Located behind the Al Saad Family Court and Al Saad Police Station)
POLO Hotline Number: (+974) 3318-2459, 33282459
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Google Map Location
Please see the map location where you can get visit the POLO Doha office for the OEC inquiries: