During this COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has launched a cash assistance program for Overseas Filipino Workers called “DOLE-AKAP for OFWs.” In case you want to know what are the requirements and steps to apply for this DOLE-AKAP program, please follow the guidelines below.
This project aims to provide financial assistance to displaced land-based and sea-based Filipino workers due to COVID-19 (coronavirus disease). This is basically a financial help worth PHP 10,000 for those who lost their jobs or had salary deductions because of the pandemic.
Do you qualify? If so, here are some requirements needed in order for one person or household member who is eligible: be registered with POEA; hold an active passport with valid visa/permit issued by receiving country; have work contract processed at POLO Office.
If all these conditions apply then it’s time to go over this post on how exactly “to claim” your PHP 10,000 from AKAP!
What is DOLE-AKAP Ayuda Program?
The Philippine Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has announced the DOLE-AKAP Financial Assistance Program for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who have already lost their jobs as a result of COVID-19. This is a one-time monetary grant given to OFWs and seafarers worth PHP 10,000.00
This is also known as an “Ayuda,” which means assistance. The aim of this OWWA DOLE AKAP ‘ayuda‘ project is to assist OFWs in getting additional money, especially for those who have lost their jobs and are therefore unable to earn a salary.
The DOLE-AKAP is not a loan. When you get the PHP 10,000 aid, you are not required to repay anything. There are also no fees to pay when you apply for this grant.
The DOLE-AKAP Program is in keeping with the Philippine government’s Bayanihan to Heal as One Act. Its major goal is to help OFWs from various countries who have lost their employment owing to COVID-19. OFWs who are in great need of assistance due to a lack of employer or government support in the country where they
Who is eligible for DOLE-AKAP Assistance?
Who can apply for the DOLE-AKAP program? If you’re interested to know who is qualified to participate in the OFW AKAP initiative, check out the qualifications below:
Regular / Recorded Overseas Filipino Workers
- must have valid PH passport and valid work employment visa
- contract processed by the Philippine Overseas Employment Agency or Philippine Overseas Labor Office
Undocumented OFWs who are
- Employees who have lost their regular or documented status as a result of some cause or circumstance;
- Those who have not yet registered with the POEA or whose contracts have not yet been processed by the POEA or the POLO but have taken steps to correct their contract or status;
- Active OWWA members
- Balik-Manggagawa workers unable to go back to the host country due to lockdown.
What are the requirements to apply for DOLE-AKAP?
People who work on land or are seafarers that have been affected by the pandemic are eligible for DOLE-AKAP aid. The following is a list of document requirements needed:
- Passport copy
- Airline flight ticket copy
- Arrival stamp in the Philippines
- OEC certificate
- Valid Employment contract or Employment visa
- proof of active Employment contract
- Proof of job loss due to COVID-19
How to Apply for DOLE-AKAP Assistance Online
The following is the DOLE-AKAP application procedure for OFWs. These are simple steps you can process online only:
- Visit http://dole-akap.owwa.gov.ph online.
- Fill out all the personal information required. Click “NEXT”
- Upload a copy of the required documents listed above.
- Once you complete the online process, it will be a waiting period. DOLE-OWWA will verify your application.
- Once approved, DOLE-OWWA will advise what to do in order to claim the PHP 10,000 cash.
How to Apply for DOLE AKAP in Nearest Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO)
Another option for Filipinos abroad to apply for the DOLE-AKAP is to visit the nearest POLO office in their host country. Take note that you may require to get an appointment before visiting the POLO office.
- Book an appointment at your work country’s POLO office (as applicable)
- Bring the document requirements including the application form for DOLE-AKAP. Some POLO offices may require an email address for you to send your documents online.
- POLO will review the documents.
- Once approved, POLO will advise how to claim the PHP 10,000 cash aid.
How to Apply for DOLE AKAP for Seafarers
Many of our sailors (seaman and seawoman employees) have undoubtedly been affected by the pandemic. After all, with the tourism sector having to cease operations at a certain time while the virus was at its peak, the travel business has been significantly disrupted.
In order to submit your application for DOLE-AKAP as a seafarer, you simply need to follow the same process as the regular land-based OFWs. Here are the steps:
1. Go to the website and fill out the form at https://dole-akap.owwa.gov.ph
2. Upload the following document requirements:
- Visa or Travel Document
- Evidence of overseas employment
- Evidence of job loss due to COVID-19
- Boarding Pass or Air Ticket or Stamp of Arrival in the Philippines
3. Once you complete the online process, it will be a waiting period. DOLE-OWWA will verify your application.
4. Once approved, DOLE-OWWA will advise what to do in order to claim the PHP 10,000 cash.
NOTE: Make sure you fill in a valid email address on the application form to receive an e-mail notification of your application’s receipt and other information about its progress.
How to Download DOLE-AKAP Application Form – dole-akap owwa gov ph
The online application for the DOLE-AKAP is available at https://dole-akap.owwa.gov.ph.
There is no need to fill out any form, as all you have to do is go to the agency’s website portal and provide your information.
Here is a sample of the online application form for the DOLE AKAP:
How to Contact DOLE OWWA AKAP Hotline
If you’re an OFW interested in the OWWA AKAP ‘ayuda’ assistance program, you can contact the OWWA AKAP hotline at 1348 to ask questions.
You may also reach out to the following people by numbers:
OWWA-NCR Hotline – 09666250016
OWWA Reintegration Unit – 8834-0719
Video: OWWA Announces DOLE-AKAP Updates
Below is a video of recent improvements from OWWA at Your Service regarding the DOLE-AKAP help project. If you look towards the end of the video, there are several Filipino testimonials who have applied for the program and describe their wait for the money to arrive.
Please bear in mind these points if you want assistance from DOLE AKAP. Applicants must fulfill the following conditions:
- Employees who have lost their jobs, got salary deductions, or affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Must be a worker who was never returned to the job site due to COVID-19, or was repatriated to the Philippines because of COVID-19.
- Workers who have tested positive for COVID-19
- OFWs who have not receivd the OWWA financial assistance.
Many that have lost their jobs as a result of the population quarantine may be eligible for this assistance. For people who would like to claim DOLE-AKAP, they will need specific requirements and steps in order to process it.
The Department of Labor and Employment has launched a cash benefit for land-based and sea-based Filipino workers due to coronavirus disease. The cash benefit is PHP 10,000.00 or its equivalent in the local currency of the host country and will be granted to people who have lost their jobs or have not received their salaries.
We hope that this guide has helped you understand better about the AKAP program and application.